[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to study computer science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 7229223_1600x1200.jpg (241KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
7229223_1600x1200.jpg
241KB, 1600x1200px
But the university I got accepted into isn't that great. Should I still go? I was under the impression that comp sci has a good job outlook so I'm not sure if it'll matter.
>>
>>18067165
May as well but I wouldn't rely too much on the university itself to teach you the actual programming part. You do that on your own as in you build your own programs, contribute to your own projects, etc.
>>
File: c.jpg (450KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
450KB, 1600x900px
>>18067181
Then why go to university?
>>
>>18067197
is there a difference between software engineering and computer science? if not, then there are a ton of engineering stuff you'll learn in school which you surely will not learn by yourself
>>
>>18067197
concepts, proving to future employers that you can actually put in work and stick to something (getting a degree), social networking for internships and future jobs.
>>
>>18067197
You will learn more at uni. You will make connections with professors and other students that will help you advance your initial career. You will have a lot of fun and maybe meet some girls. Where you go to school matters much less

That being said I know a guy who learned Ruby in 6 months and started a business and a guy who learned html over a year while he was part time and got a job, but that requires more motivation than many people have and can be difficult and frustrating. Also employers are more reluctant to hire the self taught and you may to a shitty job of training yourself rendering yourself unemployable as many entry level software engineer/CS jobs have a probationary period and if you suck they will can you and this is bad for your resume
>>
>>18067165

Unless you're able to get into an Ivy League, it really doesn't matter what college you go to. 99% of jobs don't give a flying fuck where you got your very expensive paper from. Just go for the cheapest college you can, unless you're getting carried by a scholarship.
>>
>>18067165

Comp Sci is becoming an oversaturated field, but as long as you do what you need to do, it isn't bad to get into and you should be fine in the long run
>>
>>18067197

networking. being in an environment where people share the same goals.

deadlines that will push you harder than you push yourself. a learning path designed by people who know the field so you're not just wandering blind.

internships. friends. women.
>>
>>18067386
As a software engineer I find your post hilarious (in a good way).

>I know a guy who learnt ruby over six months
>a guy who learnt html over a year
Maybe because I haven't slept in 2 days, but I can't stop laughing.
I remember learning html in an evening by myself, when I was nine.
When I was 10 I started learning C++, that took me 2 weeks, then Haskell 1 week.
Later I've been tutor at uni, teaching engineering students who were like 20-30 years old said languages and assembly, and it always cracks me up thinking about it.
I mean you have to be braindead to learn something like ruby over six months. Then again, most computer science students are stupid as fuck.
>>
>>18067774

>he thinks he learned the entirety of c++ in 2 weeks

top kek. Are you just trying to sound like a douche or do you actually believe this shit?
>>
you can be a little fish in a big pond
or a big fish in a little pond

what stands out more?
how confident are you in being the best of the best?
>>
>>18067774
why aren't you working for the NSA or something?
>>
File: 393495.png (220KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
393495.png
220KB, 1920x1080px
>>18067893
I genuinely doubt I'll be a "big fish". Steve Jobs/Bill Gates type guys don't need university to do anything.
>>
>>18067774
With that attitude, you sound more like an idiot.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.