[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Political differences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_6995.jpg (31KB, 635x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6995.jpg
31KB, 635x475px
Hi /adv/ first time posting here. American male.

My friends are mostly left-leaning and very liberal.
I however am right-wing and believe in some of the right leaning economic policy that we're currently moving toward.

This has caused some extreme tension in our group of friends, one guy in particular (my future brother-in-law) is increasingly hostile (passive-agressive) toward me. I mean no ill-will and have no problem with his or anyone else's political beliefs. I've tried to have this conversation with them but it usually ends up in them screaming at me indirectly about how wrong right wing thinking is.

I'm concerned about this and I want to keep this friendship, as I consider these people family and greatly value their company and fun, and forget our differences.

I don't know if I should confront them/him. My goal is to return to an amicable friendship with the people close to me. Not trying to convert anyone to my political views, not trying to prove anyone "wrong." I just want to offer an olive branch and put this big ugly blemish on an otherwise great friendship behind us.

Can anyone give me some advice?
>>
>>18066654
The problem I see is tribal disagreement on the topic. One way would be to avoid the topic, but you only have so much control over that. The other way would be to elevate the level of discussion. The only idea I have is both of you offering each other a book on the topic to read, and having a formal argument later, discovering the nuance in each others position in the process.
>>
>>18066654
Agree not to talk politics when together.
>>
>>18066654
Limit contact and avoid politics before that nut job gets violent with you. Lefties always escalate to violence eventually.
>>
>>18066654
OP, you seem like a really nice person.

If you have to discuss about politics, make sure you keep the discussion polite.
Some tricks to do so are agreeing on factual truth (statistics and data, events), then discussing about your interpretation of the truth and the reasons why you think so. In this way you start from what you agree on, and then make sure to highlight how the disagreements are based on personal opinions that cannot really be wrong or right.
Don't raise your voice, ask them to avoid doing so. Don't interrupt, ask them to not interrupt.
If the tension is still there, openly tell them that it makes you really sad that disagreements are ruining your friendship and ask them if there's something you can do about it. Make sure you tell them that you don't want them to agree with you, that you respect them and you hope everything is fine.
>>
>>18066707
This has been our solution so far, but the decay in the friendship has been undeniable. We'll have a great time seeing a movie or playing video games and then all it takes is a comment or two to set him off.
>>18066698
As much as I'd love this solution, any sort of banter is such a risk of dissolving the friendship on a fragile day where Donald Trump has done "something".

My idea is a straightforward Facebook message offering up my sincere feelings and wish to compromise through our differences, since in-person is a no-go, neither of us have been able to be articulate in person.
>>18066713
I'm trying my hardest to be unbiased and to not have the notion that he'll fly off the handle, but so far, it's happened so many times that I'm having trouble not assuming that he's going to again.
>>
both my boyfriend and best friend are liberal and i'm pretty conservative... they know this so when we talk we never bring up politics... as long as you keep the politics out of the friendship then you'll be fine
>>
>>18066723
Thank you so much.

I've been thinking this might be the way to move forward from here. My goal is entirely to preserve this friendship that I've had for 5 years because it's so important to me.

I wont muscle this conversation, but if they're open to having it, I will.
I've burned too many bridges in my life, and I'd like to stop doing so in general.
>>
>>18066739
I've experienced the same thing, and I can understand how awful that is.
Overall, the best you can do is keeping things civil and, if necessary, make a tangible effort to remind them that even if you have different opinions you are still friends.
Make them feel appreciated.
>>
>>18066755
Thank you, and all other posters in this thread. It's hard to find the right words to initiate this kind of thing. But i hope I'm not wrong in thinking that it's necessary if I want to keep these friends.

Using your words, I respect these people. I admire their passions and willingness to give, and I want them to have great success in their lives.

I don't feel respected and while I don't think I'm ready to tell them, I will be amicable and light hearted and hopefully they can empathize with me.

It helps to have someone to talk to, since my friends, -who I'd normally talk to- are the ones I have discourse with. So again, thank you all!
>>
>>18066713 this. as we all know, liberals or lefts have gone above and beyond to raise hell to push their ideas on others, and I don't think it's going to stop on a personal level. lefties are fucking dangerous and are willing to destroy friendships, and even leave their families over something as pathetic as politics.
>>
>>18066654
I wouldn't normaly do this, as I consider the general audience around as too immature for this, but with you I can really sympathise. I'd very much like to have a friend like you.

Anyway - there is this powerful, psychological tool called Iching - The Book of Changes.It helps me a lot with hard decisions and with such a well defined question you may just find a right answer. (In case you wonder - no fortune telling is involved here, it's just a tool for you to work with your own mind. 5000 years of knowledge.)

Give it a try and good luck.

http://www.ichingonline.net/
>>
File: 1474661328578.png (305KB, 589x387px) Image search: [Google]
1474661328578.png
305KB, 589x387px
>>18066727

>Triggered

Well then...
>>
>>18066654
Just tell him you're libertarian and that the two party system is broken. Ask him why he is so desperate for a group identity and that it's pathetic.

Disregard his opinion. If you are smart you can put him in his place in any arguement anyway.
>>
I implore you just to not talk about it. I'm admittedly left-leaning when it comes to the current political climate, and it's all I want just to not get into an argument with someone, because this is almost never a civil discussion rooted in logic.

That being said, I can completely respect someone that doesn't agree with me as long as we don't talk about it. I don't make it a point to talk politics unless I know I'm in a like-minded space, because we're as divided as we've ever been at this point.

Best of luck, anon. You seem decent and thoughtful.
>>
I'm not very political.
Which wing am I if I think everything is fucked, nothing is good, and we're all going to die?
>>
>>18067302

Left.
>>
>>18067302
depends who you blame it on
>>
>>18066654
If you're a true conservativr then you know that politics should be kept private and only discussed with close friends and family.

Not everyone has to agree with you and that's alright. As a conservative with a liberal group of friends I understand you can sometimes be up against a wall, but these things only cause more trouble than they're worth.
>>
>>18067357

Alt-right turds aren't conservatives for the most part. They are just a vocal opposition to crazy leftists.
>>
>>18067360
Alt-Right and SJW are just memes. They aren't real political ideologies and have more of an emphasis on being right than getting work done.

I'm giving OP the benefit of the doubt here
>>
File: Shit.png (47KB, 709x709px)
Shit.png
47KB, 709x709px
>>18067318
>>18067317
I did a thing. Am I a bad person?
>>
>>18067245
Thank you very much, anon.

I'll give your resource a thorough look when I get off work, but I appreciate it.
>>
>>18066654
>believe in some of the right leaning economic policy that we're currently moving toward.
like what, specifically?
>>
>>18067427
Here's one applied example, I live in Appalachia and the coal industry has a huge impact on our community and my work.
I sell construction-type projects to companies, and mines are one of my biggest customers. The economy for mine operations has been all but destroyed. So you could imagine the market impact from a republican president. My customers confidence in the market are higher than ever and a lot of these people were working different odd jobs because their trade organizations were being shut down and funding has finally come back.
I depend pretty heavily on a confident local economy.
I hope this answers your question.
>>
>>18067456
It sure does
>>
File: 2498107-cletus.jpg (12KB, 320x318px) Image search: [Google]
2498107-cletus.jpg
12KB, 320x318px
>>18067456 dad?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.