[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Soul is being crushed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1480998594197.png (594KB, 809x762px) Image search: [Google]
1480998594197.png
594KB, 809x762px
I work with my Dad in a factory. He's the president, and the goal is for me to eventually become the president. I could stand to make a lot of money in this position, but I'm deeply unhappy here.

For one, and this is the biggest reason, I'm constantly being shit on by the employees. I had a nervous breakdown in front of them years ago due to personal issues, and I don't think they'll ever forgive me for it. Even when I fire the biggest asshole, like ISIS, another asshole comes in to take his place.

For two, I no longer like what I do. Managerial shit aside, the work we do bores me. I don't like setting up, programming, running production, or anything else about this job anymore. Everyday feels like a tedious task that I don't want to do.

I don't want to let my Dad down, hes been working here for 30 years, building it up and up, and I know he'll be disappointed if I don't take over. The family name means a lot to him. But, I'm beginning to feel that his pride isn't worth my happiness. Still, it would pain me to see his disappointment.

I'd like to go back to school and get a diploma in CS, or maybe something where I can work from home and not have to be around or deal with people again.

What do you think about all of this?
>>
I think your situation sucks. Can't your mom or a sib take over?
>>
>>18066606
Talk with your dad man to man, honest.

But first think about what you really want and why. Are you just stressed out? Are you perhaps depressed? Are you afraid of social contact?
You seem to have a problem with the employees, what's really the problem there, your fear? Your inhability to cope with trauma? Or them?

You want to work from home you say but people who work from home are usually the ones who master social contacts and interactions, the so called freelancers swim in contacts to work from home.

Are you going to analize your situation and confront your fear?
Talk to your dad say you want to be away from all of that for a while, nobody will get hurt. Just say you want new things and non monotone oportunities, that you wish for something different in life.
But face your fears anon, running away from them will not make you grow.
>>
>>18066655
Man, I've tried being as amicable as I can with them since I've been back. They still shit on me. Truth is, I'm not very socially competent, and they pounce on that like a lion does a gazelle. Even if I do something well it's soon forgotten. I think a large part of this is because of my nervous breakdown. I was very strange in that time, and they took it personally... like they do everything.

Yes I am depressed, and I'm constantly anxious as well. I'm also generally afraid of social contact, especially with new people. I flail badly in a very cringey manner. It's a part of my trauma and chronic isolation, I think. Its improved a LOT over the years, but I'm still significantly lacking social skills. I think I may just be stupid too.

I would say I'm somewhat fearful of people. Every time I talk to someone they're pretty condescending and rude, and give off a general vibe of aversion. It's painful to not be validated by anybody, anywhere, and the rejection I constantly face makes me scared of them. People who say validation isn't necessary are probably validated by somebody in my opinion.

What I want... I want to be alone because I feel more comfortable that way, and I don't think most people are 'good'. It seems to me they're largely self-serving and will stab you in the back whenever the opportunity arises, should they benefit. There's no loyalty or honor in people anymore. It's just about getting what they want. Nobody cares about me as a person, they only care about what they can squeeze out of me. Boohoo! That's just my view though, shaped by my personal experiences.

I'm not a total fool, I realize my fear of people won't go away if I shut myself in my apartment for the rest of my life. But it'll feel so, so much better than going to a job where people ostracize and ream my asshole for dumbass ambiguous reasons.
>>
>>18066606
>>18066827
Here's what you need to understand about your employees - you've been put in a position of leadership, and they're testing you. The way to pass that test isn't by firing people who are mean to you, it's to show you're actually capable of the job.

I get that they're being mean to you and it doesn't feel good on your end, but think about what this means to them. When your father eventually steps down and you take over, if you are still weak, you will destroy the company and all of their jobs. It is not easy to run a business, and this isn't some kind of game for them, it's the way they make a living and take care of their families.

Stop trying to be friends with them. That MIGHT come later, but first they need to respect you. Just focus on two words: Calm and competent. Put all of your focus on your tasks & responsibilities, and don't worry about the way people are talking to you unless they're being blatantly insubordinate. Start taking an interest in all aspects of your father's job and responsibilities. Better yet, straight-up ask him for advice on this whole situation. He knows these guys.

OR, if you're not going to do all that, just step up and tell your father this isn't for you. That's not a decision to be ashamed of. You can find another job for yourself, and he can find someone better suited to run the factory. Better to disappoint him a little bit today, than to run his business into the ground later.
>>
You're making a natural mistake in your thinking which is okay. You have a silverplatter right in front of you and your thinking about throwing it all away because a couple of assholes at work shit on you.

You need to make people fear you. If you are in a position of power, or your dad is in a position of power. Use that power to smite people that have poor attitudes. Bring them into the office and tell them straight out. "You cant talk to me like that on the floor, especially in front of our coworkers. It is disrespect and a clear sign of someone that has a disregard for his fellow coworker. You have been warned. Cut it out". Leave it at that.

Let me tell you something about work. Work is not fun. Fun is fun. Work is work. The trick is to make work a comfortable and enjoyavle environment no matter what field you are in. This is achieved by becoming a productive and respected worker. This happens when the company is doing well and people pull together as a team. Its hard to find that but its doable. Most places are businesses of competition and individual efforts. Those places never perform optimally and everyone is always stressed out and hates that job. Thats going to be anywhere. You go to college and find a different field...sorry to tell you but you are going to run into assholes and naysayers.

This is an opportuniry to become THE man. You will make ALOT of money and ttrust me, money is very very very important to happiness regardless of what people say.

Dont be foolish. Tighten up your boot straps, think of ways to inprove your respect and output at work. You need to turn it into your life.
>>
>>18066877
This OP.
I just graduated with a CS degree. I'm sitting around at home shooting out apps every day so I can maybe find an entry-level position somewhere and begin paying off my debts. You have a sweet opportunity being given to you, walking into the top floor of a successful operation, and you're not the only asshole in history who had doubts in a situation like this. It's natural that the veteran employees who have worked for your dad for 20+ years are worried about you and giving you trouble, in time they will come to respect you if you're competent.

Anyways OP, all I'll say is to think long and hard before passing this up. Lots of people would fight for what you are being offered. And remember this sage advice: "The grass is always greener on the other side." You'll be sure kicking yourself if you sell the company and find out that working somewhere else isn't nearly as satisfying as you think it is.
>>
>>18066851
>>18066877
>>18066958
All solid advice, thank you /adv/. I'm going to seek out therapy again and see if it helps to bounce some of my thoughts off of a professional. I really need it anyway to deal with trust issues and seething inner hatred. I just feel so twisted up inside sometimes that I question if what I'm doing is worth it. Your perspectives have swayed me though, and I thank you.
>>
>>18066606

Of course he'll be upset, but he'll get over it because if your father is even a slightly decent human, he'll just hope you'll be happy, even if it's not following in his footsteps.
>>
>>18066606
Reminds me of that episode of the office. Don't remember the characters well, but the manager was goofy and have them all well-meaning, but inconsiderate shit. The black guy called him out during a meeting and the manager pulled him aside and basically said "you have a problem with me fine, we meet in private. But I'm the boss, you can't just do that in front of everyone.". Both agreed and moved on

If anyone in your company can't figure that out they need to go. Also you need to deal with being a pussy some day
>>
>>18067466
Bitch. I told you I've fired guys over this shit. It's not like I shy away or back down, it's just a consistent problem that hasn't gone away. And yeah it affects me emotionally, sue me for being human you cuck.
>>
File: CZ_75_SP_01.jpg (1MB, 3234x2587px) Image search: [Google]
CZ_75_SP_01.jpg
1MB, 3234x2587px
>op bitches about being set for life
>meanwhile I'm in a college I don't like getting a degree I'm not that pumped for so I can get a chance at a job I don't want while my best and only friend dies slowly in a hospital

No wonder the workers tease you
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.