[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I regret being a nerd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: scott_aaronson1.jpg (121KB, 620x412px)
scott_aaronson1.jpg
121KB, 620x412px
I should've went to parties, fuck as many girls as I want, do drugs and shit, instead I kept myself holed up in the school library for high school and college. I don't know what the fuck I was doing with my life. It's my fault for having such a boring life. What is so good about having a job but tasteless life? I only have 3 years left to become a wizard. I feel terrible and shit about listening to the advice of my parents.

Sorry, I was just venting out my disappointment of myself here. I fucking hate my life. I'll give you this as an advice: If you want to have a satisfying adulthood, at least don't be a fucking nerd/geek!
>>
File: 4a3.jpg (40KB, 680x275px) Image search: [Google]
4a3.jpg
40KB, 680x275px
unpop opinion, but sex is pretty tasteless too. Every path creates it's own problems. If you're that close to being a wizard online dating is just going to get easier. You haven't even hit the worst part. The realization that everything you thought you wanted out of a relationship was an idealization that doesn't even exist and you're more in love with the idea of companionship than the companionship itself.
>>
>>18065915
I will say this, drugs and parties are overrated. I wouldn't say you missed out on too much there.
>>
>>18065915
People who succeeded in academia certainly don't regret making their career choice lol
I've always thought Scott Aaronson was a cool guy, and he's happily married with a daughter if ur curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SczraSQE3MY
He's no Feynman but then again, nobody is

Also Cédric Villani's talk is pretty inspiring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYwydG_aHPE
>>
You are disappointed that you are not some useless druggy?

Why not just use all that money you are making to do whatever you want?

You could take flying lessons. I guarantee you that flying a plane would be a lot more interesting than sitting in a dark basement huffing spray paint because you can't afford any real drugs.
>>
>>18065938
As an expansion on this, a lot of people I know that partied and did drugs a lot have some other issues they need to deal with. Instagram posts make things look great, but some of them have some pretty hollow lives. Be happy you still have opportunities in front of you now instead of barriers. Go do interesting shit like the poster above suggested. Your first 25 years are only like a 3rd of your life. Maybe even just 1/4th unless you eat like a piece of shit.
>>
File: Bruce-Lee-If-you-love-life.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Bruce-Lee-If-you-love-life.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
>>18065915
Well you still have time to change this.
Find a social activity, get outdoors meet people who share similar hobbies, lower your standards, for your first time it's advised "don't look at the fireplace while poking the fire" sex is sex not some amazing transformation .

The toughest hurdle is the beginning of change,you'll start of anxious then realise nobody else gives a fuck. Start today not I'll do something tomorrow.

T. A virgin until 26
>>
>>18065915
lol fuck you op I'm a nerd and I still knew how to party
>>
>>18065957
With the money he's making he could get really good drugs
>>
Those people you envy, half of them got addicted, had a kid they don't want, ended up dead or in jail.

You made better decisions than they did full stop; they aren't worth emulating.
>>
you just suck
having education doesnt prevent you from having a fullfilling life
being an unimagitive faggot makes you boring

retard
>>
>>18065915
>I should've went to parties, fuck as many girls as I want, do drugs and shit

None of this stuff is as appealing as the movies make it seem. Clubbing in and of itself is one of the worst hobbies you could ever have.

Your entire post is a pity party that helps no one, so I don't get what kind of advice you want
>>
>>18065915
From 13 I blew of school and sniffed glue and smoked bud then stopped for a year when I was 15 cause I said I'd listen to my parents and I was the most boring year of my life to date (I'm 23), I hit 16 and started drinking and hanging out with bunches of guys and girls, parties every weekend and it was amazing but now that I look back on it, if I carried on like I did when I was 15 instead of the way I was before and after it, I honestly would have been better off, I brought a kid into the world at only 19 which wiped out my social life, it's good that I got my partying over with and I actually got to enjoy that part of life but I did everything too early so don't be wishing you did anything just enjoy yourself now
>>
>>18066283
In the UK btw so it's not as strange to be doing stuff that bit younger
>>
>>18065937
This.
Every chick I've been with i try and reach a happy middle point. Usually that middle point starts to pull more to her way and the middle point turns into a moot misery
>>
I think you guys don't get it, the problem is not choosing a drug-addict life instead of going to college. The problem is in spending all your time in college studying rather than socializing among others students.
>>
>>18065937
What's the obsession with relationships and companionship?
I'm a 26 year old virgin myself, and my desire for both is exactly zero.
All I want is a qt to fuck, cuddle and occasionall hang out with who doesn't mind when I use my newfound confidence to chase other skirts. And then maybe,maybe if I find a truly amazing girl get into a relationship.
Frankly, the thought of someone hanging around you all the time and calling and texting you and stuff gives me the willies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you sound like you just picked the first girl who let you smash to be your full on gf.
>>
What's stopping you from going to clubs and getting drunk as fuck at 4am? Bitches are out there waiting to get fucked.
>>
>>18065915
it doesn't matter, you'll be dead soon anyway
>>
Why is sensual pleasure so important to you? Why is being a virgin so horrifying? Why is leading a boring life bad? When the reptilian brain, the primitive brain is left unsatisfied, it interferes with the higher brain as well. Why do you feel the need to have pointless sex to say that you've lived a good life?

A good life is a life in which you enjoy everything you do. You can learn to enjoy being by yourself too.
>>
File: 1461876262321.jpg (109KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1461876262321.jpg
109KB, 1024x682px
>>18066431
idk about the studying too much issue, maybe your path is different.
People who excel at various fields from pure math to programming all participate in clubs, seminars and social events, join a competition, go on an exchange program, that's a lot of sober sex to be had if one needs. I'm in US, when I was an undergrad in pure math I don't think there's any guy in my class who doesn't at least go to England or France or Japan to experience their distinct math culture. In fact, the better you are at what you do, the more likely you have this opportunity. I remember me and my probability&analysis team were sponsored a trip to Las Vegas for SIAM conference in optimization a few years ago.
Idk how the situation was in 17th century, but in this era spending time alone in the library is not useful, unless you are doing something very elementary like grinding first year calculus. Most of the state of the art theoretical ideas and techniques aren't in school library, unless you go to headquarters like AMS or SIAM's library, in which case just go to the expert's seminar, it's faster and better to learn directly from them. This also applies to knowledge for course work. I learned algebraic geometry from a Dutch girl during one of my summer exchange. It's a lot easier than reading a book because her perspective is similar to mine, and it's an active discussion, with a lot of jokes and problem solving.
>>
>>18065915
bro that life aint easy too, if you're coming from a robot background
t.18yo virgin
>>
>>18065915
Oh wow he was my TCS professor. Fun class.
>>
>>18065915
I have tried over 20 different drugs and the only ones I found worthwhile were alcohol and prescription ADHD medications. Nothing else is useful-- can make you feel great for a short while, but tends to dissipate purpose and often leaves a nasty rebound or hangover or withdrawal syndrome. You're not missing much. It took me a month or two to even feel really normal and healthy again when I stopped trying new ones. Meaningless sex was never fulfilling either-- it loses novelty very quickly. Focus on finding a girl you can talk to for hours and building a relationship.
>>
>>18065915
How old are you ? What type of job do you have now ? Are you making money ?
>>
Don't mind me, I'm just sitting in the awkward moment of my life where I hate the planet and anything in it.

Had massive dreams, devoted my life to acquiring a broad and unusual skillset. Found the tools I needed, hit the ground running with them, constantly thinking about the things I always wanted to make. Feeling just about ready to make them, but can't force myself to give a damn about working the past year or so. Don't even really feel like telling people about it at this point, other than to constantly remind myself I need to sort my life out and learn to start caring again.

just some other nerd like OP
>>
I'm a huge fucking nerd, but I also got swul and went to parties and had lots of sex, never did drugs though. Maintained a 4.0 with ease up until I got my bachelors.

You're not missing out on much, and you can still do cool shit if you want. There is literally nothing wrong with what you did. Now after all that partying and friend drama, I dumped all my friends and have gone full loner mode, could not be happier.

Everyone lives their life in a different manner, and there is no reason to judge someone for living a quiet studious academic one.
>>
>>18065915
>If you want to have a satisfying adulthood, at least don't be a fucking nerd/geek!
why ? you can be a nerd/geek and still go to parties, do drugs, have friends, etc.. just because you fucked up your life doesn't mean everyone is a loser like you
>>
>>18065937
>the worst part. The realization that everything you thought you wanted out of a relationship was an idealization that doesn't even exist
Seconded.
>>
People I know who live this lifestyle my age are either

1)Pregnant
2)Already have a kid
3)Working a job they don't like
4)Ridden with mental problems (my ex)
5)No good relationship with parents who kicked her out (my ex)
>>
>>18065915
The cool thing about not being dead (and being an adult) is that you can change yourself.

If you define going " to parties, fuck as many girls as I want, do drugs and shit" as satisfying you can literally just decide to do that and see how it goes. If you're not happy in life you're free to change it.
>>
you can still do that with an advantage:

women like older guys. do you know how many beautiful girls I knew that got with creepy fat older fucks who only fucked em because they were older and had a car
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.