[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did /adv/ ever actually help you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

If so, in what way? Did you follow some actual advice on what to do, or maybe you got some encouragement from the words of fellow anons?
Did you folow general consensus/ long-ass, elaborated post/ first advice given?
>>
Once I had an actual life crisis. I doubt my career and the profession I chose.
The real help was the questions to see my situation clearly. I can remember them and oftenly think about (it was about 3 years ago)
>>
>>18065891
and are you happy with your choice now?
>>
I just like giving advice.
>>
It helped me choosing something important and I am pretty satisfied with it
>>
>>18065886
for me it is more like getting honest views of strangers on things i cant ask people around me. You just need to know how to recognize the trolls and you can get some good opinions here
>>
I give low-key bad advice all the time lmao.
>>
>>18065886
I have a few times. For one of my worst issues I just get berated though, so /adv/ is a mixed bag lately.
>>
>>18065899
this
>>
>>18065945
What is your issue?
>>
>>18065886
No. But I'm here mostly to laugh and relax
>>
I met a girl on /adv/ by coincidence and we we ended up dating for a few months.
>>
>>18065893
I'm really happy. The crisis needed to make me sure about doublethink what I want to do. The questions taken made me realize I do the right thing but in a wrong manner/attitude
>>
File: 1486929518858.jpg (968KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1486929518858.jpg
968KB, 1280x1707px
>>18065886
I always like to hear altering perspectives, but I never really heed the advice I'm given here.

I don't go outside, so I'm not really one to need advice.
>>
>>18065886
I'm facing some issues right now, but i'm doubting if adv will even be helpful.
i guess i will lurk in this bread.
>>
/adv/ probably gave me half of my mental disorders
>>
>>18065985
name them
>>
Nope
>>
>>18065886
One time this guy aka advStoryBro needed help because he thought his young professor might be into him. Long story short, with consistent encouragement and some luck, fellow anons guided AdvStoryBro's dick to a successful relationship. He even posted a series of updates on twitter and through a couple threads.

It was /x/ not /adv/ but someone was posting about how they were going to suicide by meditating under a bodhi tree until they dehydrated to death. After some interesting epistimelogical discussion the person actually concluded to go through with the meditation but with the intent on what it was instead of trying to die doing it.

Encouragement works sometimes, which is encouragement in itself. Also I get to see so many tired normal problems that it provides good perspective. The mood has changed significantly over the years though.
>>
>>18066129
>fellow anons guided AdvStoryBro's dick to a successful relationship
that's so beautiful. When was it?
>>
>>18066129
never heard of advStoryBro and the hot professor lol
But I heard of Brandon and femBrandon who killed herself
>>
>>18066158
Fembrandon killed herself?
>>
>>18065886

/adv/ tends to work best when you have a specific, tangible aim in mind (How can I achieve x given conditions y). /adv/ has helped me with this kind of thing a few times.

/adv/ is just dreadful when it comes to making a decision (Should I break up with my BF?) or nebulous questions with little framework (I am sad please help). /adv/ rarely has a useful contribution to make with these questions, possibly because they are much harder and far more context dependent. That said, talking to someone, anyone, can make one feel better.
>>
>>18066158
um, care to tell the story/link to it? You have my attention
>>
When my ex broke up with me 3 years ago cause of cheating and an anon told me to suck it up. Also reading other people with similar stories helped me cope better because my self-esteem took a big hit.
>>
>>18066138
>>18066158
This was years ago, you might be able to find the twitter account he used to post a few updates Anonymous
@ADVStorybro

Jesus that was almost 7 years ago
>years
>>
>>18065886
I was having trouble in college and "professor writing here" gave me some good advice on how to study.
>>
>>18066257
wow, I just readit and now I'mglad I made this thread. Thx, bro
>>
Usually just venting on the "get it off your chest" thread was enough for me. But I also met a super nice guy from here, so I guess I vent more to him now.
>>
>>18066257

7 years ago...this was a different place.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
>>
Yeah I take some of the advice here. I'm going through a really bad time right now with my major depression and some of the anons here have given great advice on how to manage it as well as how to manage cutting and other self harmful situations. It's encouraging just to talk with others who mostly understand instead of calling the suicide hotline tbqh. On 4chan there are trolls but at least majority of those on here aren't going to patronise me. Usually they're straight up with me and I appreciate that. There are a lot of anons on here that have unknowingly prevented my suicide on quite a few occasions.

The threads asking about "will this boy/girl like me??" Are pretty pointless and middle schoolerish. And there are some spam threads too like, "how can I fuck my hijab wearing mother??" There's been a lot of bait lately. The amount of childish questions that gets asked on here is insane. The vent threads are sorely missed though. But somebody always ruins it for everyone, amirite?
>>
So far, in small ways. I've learned a lot. About myself, and others.

I like to try to help, and in the process, I learn a bit about what's going on in my own mind as well.

So, while I haven't exactly received any life changing advice, I'd say /adv/ has still contributed positively to my life.

It's probably also contributed negatively to my life, it's easy to spend a lot of time here just chatting with people. That in and of itself isn't necessarily bad, but using that as a device to distract yourself from the real world can be detrimental.
>>
>>18065886
Yes.
I like helping other people when i think i can.
Also it's good to see what other people think on problems you are dealing with. Just need to be aware of trolls and be carefull with the advice
>>
/adv/ got me laid for the first time
>>
>>18066885
Okay, how and when?
>>
giving advice and talking to people in similar emotional states make me feel useful
it also gives me something to do. rn none of my usual hobbies are entertaining or fulfulling in any way but i'm getting something out of being here
>>
>>18065886
Not really.
The people here ruined my chances with 2 girls.
>>
>>18065886
Today actually. My thread is titled political discourse.
/adv/ seems like a great board, or at least the people who posted in my thread were helpful. I'm going to try to reply to anyone I believe i may be able to help on here.
>>
I've gotten solid advice from here a couple of times, like my first date with my last girlfriend, when was the right time to make a move and stuff. We dated for a while and it turned out she wasn't the one for me, but the first date went well due to some advice that I should kiss her as long as the date was even going slightly well.

I think I use /adv/ more for reinforcement or to break down my preconceived notions more than I come in and say "hey help me do x," because the context isn't there, but it is nice to have a group of people that have no real personal stake in my life tell me when I'm being a dick, or someone else is being a dick.

I also come here to give genuine, clear advice on certain topics, as I've had pretty good success with women, school, and my career, so I try to impart what I can.
>>
>>18066257
here

>>18066303
I'm glad you made this thread too, it turns out this was almost the anniversary of that happening.

>>18067213
Now I'm curious as to what the advice was

>>18066395
I'm with you about the benefit of honesty, but I prefer the middle school naivete over nu-bait any day of the week. I would actually say that the naive posts are just an extension of the honesty that has made /adv/ a worthwhile place, and I would gladly pay the price of good things being bumped off the board on occasion for those threads, vs. the nu-bait pseudo-political distortions.

>>18066168
Even well trained, highly experienced professionals have problems with emotional problems, even when provided context, I don't see many people posing as professionals thankfully and as long as that doesn't change it isn't that big a deal.
>>
>>18067196
>>18066885
A few weeks ago, asked anons for help on how to be a functional human being since my confidence was gone after trying to get laid and failing for the first 19 years of my life. Got some advice which boosted my confidence, went on that date I was worried about, now I have a gf

Solid work lads
>>
Yes, definitely.

Someone told me to be calm and competent in a position of leadership, and that I'm tested daily on my competency to run my father's company. That stuck, and it's been really great advice this past 5 hours lol
>>
File: untitled.png (365KB, 719x540px)
untitled.png
365KB, 719x540px
Hmm, I asked for help grieving for my childhood dog a while ago.
Was just kind of reassuring that everyone kind of just told me everything I was going through was normal. The extreme guilt I felt about having him put down was a normal part of the process, and that given time I'd know I did the right thing.

It's been about 2 months now since he died. At the time, yeah I was completely overlooking all the signs he was showing us that he was in pain and ready to die. I was too wrapped up in the idea that I killed him because he couldn't verbally tell me he was hurting.

After the initial pain left, I remembered what the anon's told me and I looked at the whole experience more objectively. He hadn't eaten anything in 2 days. He could no longer go up or down stairs, he could barely walk without wincing. His breathing was labored, he just slept all day long. When he did get up, he'd walk into corners of the room and just stand there, face first into the wall.
Anon told me in the wild, thats what animals do when they're ready to die. They go find a secluded place to die in, he was trying to tell us he was ready to go by doing that.

It was the hardest fucking thing I've ever had to do in my life, and I miss him every day. But I'm kinda glad I got to talk to those anons here about it. Because they were 100% right. I'm in a much better place about it now. I really didn't want to have to put him down, but it was the right thing to do.

Idk, wasn't so much as advice they were giving me as it was a prediction of what will happen, but it comforted me. He was a good dog.
>>
>>18065886
Yes, my girlfriend of 2 years did a complete 360 in our relationship and she broke up with me saying "i still love you i just need time for me"
The posts that i thought were troll posts wwew correct. they said there was another guy.
I didnt believe it, but i followed their advice anyway and they were right.
>>
>>18067562
Most of the insulting posts seem to be the right ones. The typers behind them probably use profanity/humor to mask their pain they had experienced in your shoes. Or someone's problems are so common that they are easy to solve with a common answer.

>source: me, fuck my life
>>
I give advice much more than I ask for it, but I get more from the giving anyway.

Most often, what I'm typing out is the advice I wish I'd received, or the course of action I'm still struggling to follow. By doing this, I both reinforce the lessons I've learned and also encourage myself to keep trying where I haven't yet succeeded.

Reading all the posts and communicating with others in similar difficulties makes me feel very normal. Seeing what other people deal with gives me confidence to face my own challenges.
>>
I have been given great advice here. A few years back I moved to England and many anons helped me answer basic questions about everyday life like where to shop on a budget and stuff like that. It helped me a lot and I also met some people who became my friends for a time. /adv/ has also helped me a few times when I was in an emotional state about a relationship. Sometimes hearing the advice and experiences of strangers is way more helpful than your friends who might only say what you want to hear. I haven't posted in ages with a problem, but I always lurk and if something interesting comes up, I try and offer advice as well. Otherwise I just partake in "Get it off your chest" or "Write a letter" threads, because sometimes that is very helpful, too.
>>
>>18065899
this
>>
/adv/ usually just ignores my posts or mocks me.

One thread everyone convinced me to fuck a married woman and insulted me for going through with it. Probably the worst decision of my life
>>
Yes, regarding getting out of an apartment contract where I was too young and stupid to read the contract fully. Back in like 2013
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.