[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bipolar Type 2. How fucked am I for life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

Hey /adv/,

I don't really know where to start with this. I got diagnosed with Bipolar Type 2 about two years ago. I immediately went on meds and have been consistent ever since, with maybe a few day slip ups.
I don't know what to do about telling people or potential romantic partners; I am possibly breaking up with my current boyfriend because he has mentioned for a third time seeing other people. We are long distance, but make a point to see one another six times a year. I think it's just best to end it, even if he is my best friend.

With the bipolar disorder though, I feel like I'm always burdening people; I try really hard not to make a fuss or do outbursts. I'm in therapy, I have a full time job, I even graduated college undiagnosed with BPD but I'm just terrified no one will want me once they find out I have BPD.

What do?
>>
Don't tell people outright that you have BPD. Take a long time to get to know people, and make sure they know beyond all doubt that you can be a little unstable sometimes. There is a pretty bad stigma surrounding Bipolar and I wouldn't tell anyone that you feel is any less than understanding.

Seek patient, caring people. Not "nice guys", but legitimately good people who don't mind standing by someone with a mood disorder. Don't rush in to relationships just because you can or because you fear someone growing disinterested; be patient and try to get a really good grasp on the character of the potential partner. People who have no personal experience with people with mood disorders probably will have a hard time understanding your issues, at first.
>>
I'm just curious. What made you think something was wrong? Why did you go somewhere and have them diagnose you?
>>
>>18065370
Oh, well, for a while they had me diagnosed with chronic depression. I have a history of suicide attempts (first one being at twelve, tried to hang myself), so they knew I was depressed but they didn't get the mania part till much later.
>>
>>18065368
This was very thorough and nice advice, anon. Thank you so much for believing in me. I worry though that if I don't tell people outright about my disorder when they want to enter into a relationship, that they will feel "tricked" further in. Does that make sense?
>>
Dear, anon

I too have type two bipolar disorder. I went through many medications, including Valproic acid, Aripiprazole and Lamotrigine. Since then I have learned to manage my disorder on my own - you are female, you get periods, you should know the drill. I take no medication now, it inhibited me at my job.

Type two is nothing compared to type one. The trick is not to blame your own faults on your disorder. Long distance relationships don't work, because they deprave guys from sexual life. It's almost abuse to expect them to last long this way.

If you want to have responsible job, don't ever tell anyone except family. Never. It can be used as weapon against you and office politics are shit.
>>
>>18065444
It does make sense. Some people will definitely feel tricked if you don't tell them until the relationship gets serious.

I suppose, to better articulate my thoughts on it, I think that a disorder is the type of thing that you disclose to people only once you are close to them. Were you close before dating? Tell them, and let them decide if they still want to date you. Do you kind of know them, but aren't really that emotionally connected? Don't. Give your relationships, platonic and romantic alike, time to mature before coming out about your illness. Make sure they're the sort of person that you want to know about it.

If any romance goes on for 2 months plus, you're probably getting to the point where you should start to feel obligated to tell them before going any further. Keep in mind a few things; that anyone who really cares about you won't leave or get angry at you for it, and that adult relationships often go on for years, even if they aren't life-long, so setting a concrete amount of time to confess to someone probably isn't wise. Hell, if you think, after getting to know someone / being in a relationship for a few months, that they would get angry over it? They're not the sort of person who is worth your time.

TL;DR Don't worry about telling people until you feel comfortable around them. Rushing will create stress and squash opportunities.
>>
>>18065476
Oh! Sorry, clarification: he does know about the disorder and is fine with it. Just still has expressed seeing others for numerous reasons.
>>18065458
This anon seems to think it's abusive to guys to deprive them? Is that really the case?
Okay, so two months is a good idea for a tester with the bipolar disorder. What if they tell other people though? Should I just not date people within my circle? I usually like to know people for three months before I even consider dating them (too many crazies in the past).

Thank you for all your advice and help, it really does make me feel hopeful.
>>
>>18065517

The case is it is too easy to get trapped into thinking BD is the cause of your failings. And seeing what brought most of your attention in my previous post, chances are you are susceptible to such attitude. It is best to learn not to think or remember it at all.
>>
>>18065305
I guess I should tell you that you're doing great for having Type 2 bipolar. I have it and to be honest the suicidal dips have me destroyed. When I'm low I end up drinking every night, I live with my parents, push everyone I know away, etc. I'm not on meds yet because of having issues finding a psychiatrist. It's awesome you've been able to do so much while dealing with it while I'm busy googling ways to off myself
>>
>>18065566

Not that's a good question. Does the OP drink alcohol? I assume not, as she is on medication.

Dude, (I assume you are a dude), drinking and bipolaring don't come together. This is the first thing psychiatrists asked me and they always tell me how lucky I was to be abstinent before discovering my BP. You have to put booze away, completely and permanently. This would make everything 90% easier for you.
>>
>>18065305
BPD usually refers to Borderline Personality Disorder.

BD is bipolar disorder. Huge difference between the two and you should be glad you're not the former.
>>
>>18065584
I'm a girl also.

and desu I doubt the drinking and bipolar have to do with each other and desu it's the only thing i have left to cope
>>
I know someone with bipolar type 2

If she didn't have a boyfriend already I would ask her out in a heartbeat.
>>
>>18065566
>>18065584
>>18065674>>18065638
Wow! People have been really nice here. Thank you all for sharing advice and stories. Sorry, I got called away for a bit.
I do not drink much actually, less than every three months and it's only one or two drinks. I used to drink in high school though to numb things, but that just made me a robot.
What's everyone else's experience with romance and BD?
>>
>>18065442
What would you describe your mania as? I'm curious what that is in bipolar type 2. I have a bipolar disorder, but I was young and didn't cooperate with my psychiatrist, take it seriously or want to believe it was real.
>>
>>18065765
I have no experience with romance at all, athough I'm really positive and stable most of the time thanks to medication and I get along with most people around me, I just don't feel the need. I've always been a loner and when I got too close to people things started becoming bad, really bad. It's weird to say, because for most people, they need relationships, I feel really content in isolation while immersing myself in my work (I'm an artist, what a coincidence).

I know most people are always negative about medication, but for me it actually has been a godsend and saved my life. I just had to find the right kind and combination, which took almost a year.

Maybe I will get relationship experience one day, but I don't feel ready for it, it's just so much maintenance and a time sink, although a good one.
>>
Sorry to say but dont play like i have it so hard buhu. Im a man and i have adhd. So. Im in the millitary and great educational sucess.
>>
>>18066023
Adhd is very different. A mood disorder is way more severe, and what can be actual ADHD while manic is just a symptom.
>>
>>18066090
Pff. Im reading books and doing sports. Ever saw kids that have it? Mood disorder is a lesser problem in my opinion. You dont have to show other people how your mood is while having a very short concentration span IS very annoying especially in learning in uni
>>
Could you people stop fighting over which disorder is worse? It´s not relevant to anyone except maybe to the person using it to cater to his own ego by feeling some weird pride in being the bigger victim.
>>
I have BPD 2..,I can totally relate to your situation. The meds help they really do. I'm currently off them and maybe slightly manic. I've started taking them again. As for the advice regarding your boyfriend, if he can't understand your mental illness he's not the one for you. Your not a burden to anyone and not your fault. Stop blaming yourself xxx
>>
My ex had borderline personality disorder. She was very sweet and caring person, but unfortunately she didn't see us together long term.

She also felt like she is burdering people with her disorder. Many people in our university considered her a psychotic bitch. She told me that before she got into therapy she looked for acceptance in men and she often had sex she didn't honestly want to have.

My point is that you are not only your disorder at your deepest level. My ex was at her deepest a very honest, sweet and caring girl and not a raging, angry and spiteful whore like people thought of her as. I was actually in many cases warned by my peers that she is very unstable and "crazy".

You'll pull through OP, you are not your disorder and you won't burden those with your disorder who honestly want to associate with you. Be upfront and honest and don't think you are a bad person or worse than others if your romantic interest gets up and leaves the moment he hears you have BP type 2. That guy wasn't worth being together with in the first place.
>>
>>18066219
>>18066249
Bipolar disorder (or commonly known as BP not BD) is a mood disorder and a severe medical problem if left untreated. This type of mood disorder could kill someone if left untreated. It's nothing compared to ADHD. Mood disorders aren't something to shuffle off in the corner as just a "buhu" they're serious brain chemical disorders and a nightmare for those of us living with them. In addition to or being able to focus (similar to ADHD) there are moments or longer periods of time where thinking is distorted, sometimes even disconnected from reality (mania, hypomania, depression, etc.) Every hit to the brain is potentially life threatening.

With that being said, OP, I wish you well in your endeavor to learn how to relate with others- romantically and platonically. It's not easy but it's doable. And like the others have said, when you choose to share your BP with those you want to and they react in a negative way, that's their problem. You can't help that you struggle with this. You didn't bring it on yourself and you didn't ask for it. Those who stick around are the ones worth your time and effort. And believe me, people are effort no matter how much we care about them. I wish you well OP.
>>
>>18066385
I meant to type *not being able to focus. Stupid keyboard.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.