[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why people buy "nice" things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: thumb.jpg (54KB, 630x350px) Image search: [Google]
thumb.jpg
54KB, 630x350px
>Always wondered why people wanted nice cars and homes
>Can only see shit when I look at them
>Get told I'll care about cars someday
>Finally just realized that they never really desire them in the first place
>Realize they only "want" them to display their own self-worth unto others.
>They only want to show their lives and compete with others

Huh. What are some other epiphanies like this?
>>
It seems just as silly as buying one for the appearance alone, but it's something built into us all.

I can't believe it.
>>
>>18065110
>homes
should be self explanatory

>why people wanted nice cars
weird mix of brainwashing, being stupid, legit necessity, perceived benefits of having one over a not so nice car etc. i could go into more detail but its really complicated.

i hope i dont need to explain why people want nice vacations though
>>
>>18065110
The best epiphany Ive ever had is really simple in school I always thought just do your own thing and youll be happy
But its not true
You have to have common ground with others to find friends so you can't be a naysayer that hates everything infact to maximize happiness and have the most friends you must like everything so you have a way to relate to everyone.
>>
>>18065135
I've been inside of so many different houses via construction work.

Within 10 minutes, none feel superior to another.

It's insane.
Why does this happen if not for an open display of "superiority"?
>>
>>18065139
OP here,
I don't believe I could do such a thing. What's the purpose in conversation if my interests aren't genuine? How can I possibly relate to a football enthusiast when it actually bores me terribly?

I don't believe I'll ever lie through my teeth in such a manner. It'll make me sick to compromise my private life with societal woes.
>>
you're just a dumb asshole
>>
>>18065110

Driving is fun. Nice cars are fun to drive. There's more than just getting from point A to point B when it comes to driving. It's not about showing you're superior to others, but I guess that's a secondary feature of it. Why should I be ashamed of the fruits of my labor?

I'd rather have a really nice car than a big house, because a bunch of empty space is a waste compared to something I can go out and enjoy.

I don't understand why people get so jealous about shows of financial or personal success.
>>
>>18065161
Why is that?
>>
>>18065159
you have two options, consider the real possibility to be alone or learn to like it, no you don't like it to start but its a bonding moment unless you're just a genuinely funny person who can make any situation a comedy gold moment youll find yourself with few friends
>>
>>18065170
Yet I'd rather connect with a few people that share my real interests than a large collection of people that don't.

I guess we're just different.

I see no problem with what you're doing though. I might try it some day.
>>
>>18065165
When they see something nice, it reminds them they don't have it. They become jealous, and it damages their own self-esteem.

I'm pretty sure you already know this though.
>>
>>18065175
I really see where you come from because I was just like that until one day I realized I had few close friends and those I had were growing apart from me in interests so the options were to lose them or adapt, its a survival mechanism in a social environment and it helps alot in work situations I wish you the best and if you find a way to work without it godspeed, I wish I could have
>>
>>18065110
YOU arent a car person like most dotcom millonaires arent either.

they want people to look at their car and fawn over how much they spent. its not the car/house itself.
>>
>>18065206
This makes perfect sense. I've never had any sort of affinity for motor vehicles from my earliest memories.

I suppose it's just one of those things that you either are or aren't.

I don't know why I never buy into luxury purchases though. It's all just garbage to me. I don't see how a person could be so different from me as to desire expensive goods.

A home is a home. I don't need it to be more than a mobile home. Does anybody know what this is called?

I still don't understand why people want expensive goods for no reason if not for showing off who they are. It doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>18065226

A mobile home is small, uncomfortable, and offers practically no amenities, plus probably a bunch of poor, lawbreaking addicts for neighbors.

I'm sure you're just trying to embrace being the ultimate nihilist, but larger living spaces and nice neighborhoods are likely to make you less stressed, more comfortable and happy, and enable you to raise a comfortable and happy family.
>>
>>18065241
I understand the need for amenities and a good neighborhood if you're going to have a family, but I don't see why people buy exorbitant million dollar houses when they don't need to do so.
>>
>>18065150
I've noticed this too. A lot modern houses are made with crappy materials (fiberboard lmao). It's got less to do with the house itself and more with the location. Ever noticed how a lot people ask you where you live instead of what kind of place you live in?
>>
>>18065226
>Does anybody know what this is called?
privileged ignorance
>>
>>18065110
Speak for yourself fag.

I don't drive a fast, and nice, car for other people. I drive it because I like how it looks and it goes fast and sounds aggressive. It gets MY dick hard.
>>
>>18065265
>why people buy exorbitant million dollar houses when they don't need to do so.
they're nice to live in and are generally a good investment. a trailer you live in for 20 years only has scrap value while a million dollar home is sometimes worth considerably more than you paid for it.
>>
>>18065380
>Ever noticed how a lot people ask you where you live instead of what kind of place you live in?
it's almost like they're more interested in YOU than where you sleep. crazy, right?
>>
I'm one of them. It is pretty selfish, yes. I want to validate my own success. It's no different than other people who do this, but for different activities (collecting things, etc). A nice car (corvette for me) and a nice home (who doesn't want that?) tells me that I did good with my life. I came from the hood, do you know how annoying and depressing it is to go to a nice area and come back home seeing your subpar shitty lifestyle? It hurt, and I hate to admit it. It was a goal I made yo get these nice things. The day I acheive these goals, is the day I can rest easy knowing I did something with my life. Did I cure cancer? No. But I made it out and got the life that I set out to get. That being said, yeah some people go overboard. Like buying 10 supercars and mansions, etc.
>>
>>18065110
its only an epiphany to you.

some people want nice things because they personally appreciate them, too. And it could be for reasons of form or function.

cars, houses, stereos, cameras, apple products (ugh), yes your original remark can be true, but is definitely not the only possible truth.

your posts strike me as someone with a highly inflated sense of self worth.
>>
>>18065403
I grew up in a unfinished home. There was no dry-wall, and no flooring. No one in my family could ever invite other human beings over, but I don't care. It's the house that I love, and it's preferential to the million dollar houses I find myself.

My father keeps whining that we live like shit, but I don't think so.
>>
>>18065110
Welcome to being over 18.

Although some people have a genuine interests in automotive fields and fixing up a home can be a lot of fun as well.

But yeah most people just want to throw money at things for the sake of throwing money at things.
>>
>>18065150
youre sort of a retard if you dont understand preferences vs needs. for one, generally speaking humans die if they dont have shelter. so you NEED a house. ever hear that shitty daniel tosh joke about how you should invest in a good mattress because you spend 1/3 of your life there? your dwelling is the same way. some people want a lot of living space. some people actually utilize rooms for specialized things like a home gym or home theatre. some people like to fucking swim, some people like to cook for a shit ton of people so they have an 8 burner grill and a sweet gazeebo with 40 tvs on the inside. youre literally a fucking retard if think 'showing off' is the sole reason ANYONE buys anything expensive
>>
>>18065110
>have plenty of money
>want to buy new pc
>buy a cheap and shit PC instead of an awesome PC

They worked hard to be able to afford what they want. Granted I don't personally need a HUGE house or a $400,000 car but still. Sometimes it is just nice to have nice things. You just seem like a bitter person who doesn't have to money to spend on nice things.
>>
>>18065787
I'm not though.
I genuinely don't care for nice things. I care out of necessity, but I don't understand why people buy extra things for no good reason.

I would never blow a large wad of cash on a slight upgrade.
>>
>>18065900
>>18065900
i answered you here
>>18065707
its because youre a retarded simpleton
>>
>>18065926
I suppose people are just different.
Some people probably can't live without a grand house and a swimming pool. I believe acceptability is dependent on how you were raised.

You are fine with the bare minimum, but are you really fine with it?

I know I am.
>>
Most people want to flaunt shit like you said, but I'm sure people who are very wealthy just buy shit like this because they can.
>>
>>18065934
EVERYONE 'can' live without those things. but they want them, theyre available, and obtainable so they are successfully sought after. just like theres betas who just want 'one good woman' to love theres also chads out there that can fucking lots of bitches so they do.

there isnt really any point in arguing over why people want 30k cars and 400k houses over the basics, it ends up being reduced why peoples tastes for ANYTHING is the way it is whether its food, music, whatever. i really hope i dont have to explain why someone would want a pool or an extra bedroom or two.
>>
I want a million dollar beach front mansion because I'd love to wake up each morning and see the ocean. I love the sound of the ocean and so does my dog. I'd love a classic Alfa Romeo 105 because my father used to have one and would take me out for drives in his and they are some of the best memories. I want a sail boat to take out into the pacific whenever I can an just sail with the ocean. I want a 100 acre property out in the country that I can ride motorbikes around on and do whatever I want.

Do I need all that stuff? No. I'd be content with living in a single bedroom apartment and being only able to afford a camry but if I had the money I'd much rather live the life I want rather than just living with the bare minimum.
>>
>>18065110
here's a 'secret'

nice things are better in every way than not nice things

that's what makes them nice
>>
>>18065110
Because beautiful things make you feel good.

I don't need anything luxurious or very expensive. I built most of my furniture with my boyfriend, either from recycled wood or fixing old furniture. We have some design pieces, and some other stuff is just from IKEA.
I buy fresh flowers every week, we take care of the plants, clean everything meticulously. We spent hours working on our house.
Is it necessary? No. But I do feel good when I am at home, it feels like home. It is an expression of my personality, everything here feels right for me.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.