[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outsider

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I'm 26 years old, been through a lot in my life, been through lots of relationships (almost none last more than a few months) and fairly attractive.

My problem is my personality. I have a quirky personality type that has very complicated views of the world. I don't always share those views, but because of them I don't act like most others and don't really fit well into any group of people. For a while I faked it, but I felt miserable and felt the need to just be myself, but then when I am myself, often people come to wrong conclusions about me and mock me as if I'm someone out of touch with reality, though they don't realize I understand where they're coming from and I'm just a bit more complicated and misunderstood. This leads me to shut myself inward and not let anyone in, which then leads to people noticing I lack confidence in myself and even taking personality tests always point to me having very low self esteem.

The problem is, for a while I was confident in myself, even if I realized I was a bit weird. What started to happen was people kept mocking me for being eccentric and this led to anger and me lashing out at everyone. It then led me into hatred of most people around me since it happened over and over for years. I then shut myself inward again, then again leading to people saying I lack self esteem.

How can you have self esteem when objectively you're a quirky person and this leads to conflict? I'm tired of fighting with everyone, and even more tired of showing my true self and being rejected. It's led to me just being happier being alone, even if I'm not truly happy, it beats being angry/rejected all of the time.

I don't know what to do, but it sucks and sometimes I wish I were just more 'normal'. I hate being an outcast, but I hate faking it also. I feel stuck in limbo and just destined to be alone.

Pic related, because I feel I'm way too out there to ever find a genuine partner.
>>
>>18063836
bump
>>
File: 1469007722274.png (325KB, 445x442px) Image search: [Google]
1469007722274.png
325KB, 445x442px
Nobody wants to hear about your "complicated views of the world" or your "quirky" personality. You don't have to dump your baggage on every person you meet, which is what is sounds like you're doing. If you have to conform to social norms to not come off as an asshole, that's not "faking it" that's being polite. It's okay to be different, but at the end of the day you have to live and engage with people who aren't quite so different. Treating them with respect and dignity is more important than indulging in your various eccentricities.

>I'm so different
>I'm so unique
>I'm so complicated and deep!

That's fine, but don't go around trying to make sure everyone knows how much more complicated you think you are. If they were really interested, they would have ask. Trying to justify all the weird shit you do by just saying "I'm not like your normies!" is one of the rudest and most narcissistic things you can do when around other people.

My advice is to treat other people better; you can still be true to yourself without getting under everyone's skin.

>people kept mocking me for being eccentric and this led to anger and me lashing out at everyone
You'll have to explain this further.

>I was being eccentric
In what way?

>People kept mocking me
In what way?
>>
>>18063871
>You don't have to dump your baggage on every person you meet, which is what is sounds like you're doing
I may do that on some people so you have a point there, but not on most.
>Trying to justify all the weird shit you do by just saying "I'm not like your normies!" is one of the rudest and most narcissistic things you can do when around other people.
I don't ever say that and I agree that would be rude. I actually fake being polite to everyone I meet, even if I strongly disagree with what they say or their world view.
>You'll have to explain this further.
When I start making jokes and expressing my thoughts, often people think "he thinks he's so cool" (from what I've heard others say) or they seem to just want me to shut up. Perhaps I'm annoying, though I've never been called that. It's just something offputting about me when I'm engaging and having a good time. Most of it comes down to the context of the situation, but for example I mentioned a band I liked and immediately a group of people I was with hated my guts. Each situation is different, but it eventually led to deep resentment and me just always keeping my mouth shut.
>>
I usually keep my hatred of jews and blacks toned down in public

>I mentioned a band I liked and immediately a group of people I was with hated my guts.
Yeah mentioning your love for moonman might be a bad move
>>
>>18063886
>just something offputting about me when I'm engaging and having a good time
>I mentioned a band I liked and immediately a group of people I was with hated my guts
I'm going to go ahead and say that that's not how it really went down. Nobody will just start hating someone for "mentioning a band". You say that this has been happening all your life, so I have to assume there's more to this situation and not just a chance encounter with assholes. Honestly, it sounds like your problem is much too deep for me to help with. (Can't just ask about every little detail of your life).

I have a friend who is in a similar situation to you, though. We've been friends for over a decade.

He comes off as a smug prick to everyone he meets. He somehow manages to say the most annoying shit at the most annoying times, and in a way that makes him sound self-righteous and arrogant. Every thing he says is like a backhanded compliment, and simply offering a suggestion comes across like he's saying "I'm better than you". I've come to the conclusion that a huge part of his problem is speaking style. There's a certain flow to social interaction, and interrupting it at the wrong time can be incredibly annoying. Think of it like the opposite of comedic timing. He opens his mouth at the wrong time, and says things in the wrong way, so that, even if his statement was completely innocuous he sounds like an asshole.

Honestly, the only solution I can offer is to do what my friend did. Just be yourself all the time, and people will either hate you immediately or they'll get used to the way you communicate. Yeah, you're going to make a lot of people angry along the way, but it doesn't sound like you have a choice.
>>
>>18063925
>He comes off as a smug prick to everyone he meets. He somehow manages to say the most annoying shit at the most annoying times, and in a way that makes him sound self-righteous and arrogant. Every thing he says is like a backhanded compliment, and simply offering a suggestion comes across like he's saying "I'm better than you". I've come to the conclusion that a huge part of his problem is speaking style. There's a certain flow to social interaction, and interrupting it at the wrong time can be incredibly annoying. Think of it like the opposite of comedic timing. He opens his mouth at the wrong time, and says things in the wrong way, so that, even if his statement was completely innocuous he sounds like an asshole.
>Honestly, the only solution I can offer is to do what my friend did. Just be yourself all the time, and people will either hate you immediately or they'll get used to the way you communicate. Yeah, you're going to make a lot of people angry along the way, but it doesn't sound like you have a choice.

Thanks, maybe that is how I'm coming off. I do have a lot of times where I feel certain people are inferior to me or are just complete morons, but I try not to show it, but perhaps it is coming off in my personality. Maybe I am an ass hole and I haven't realized it but it's coming off in my interactions with people. If that is the case I think I know why, stems from a deeper problem I had growing up, which is probably where I should start to address this problem.

Thanks for the advice, I think you're right. I'm probably coming off as condescending though my perception isn't picking up on it. I'll work on this because I don't want to be an ass hole to people.
>>
>>18063836
Stop trying to gain the approval of people and be yourself. If they don't like you then you don't have to be friends with them. You don't need everyone to like you. Just keep being yourself and eventually you'll find someone who understands you.
>>
>>18063933
I honestly don't think you have a problem at all and that you're just too sensitive about things. People have bad reactions to things you say all the time, it's just how it goes. It seems like you're recoiling every time it happens and acting like it's a big deal and everyone hates you when it's really not. You probably really are smarter than everyone else and people are resentful and stupid like they usually are. You need to have more faith in yourself and learn not to think of rejection by idiots as a bad thing.
>>
>>18063959
>You need to have more faith in yourself and learn not to think of rejection by idiots as a bad thing.
how do I do that? what steps could I take for that? I agree I don't believe in myself a lot and at times I grow depressed because I worry everyone around me just hates me.
>>
>>18063933
I can relate to You in feeling different than the majority of people I interact with. But still I try not to judge their pov.
>Thanks, maybe that is how I'm coming off. I do have a lot of times where I feel certain people are inferior to me or are just complete morons, but I try not to show it, but perhaps it is coming off in my personality.

Whether you show it or not all people are intuitive and must be able to feel this on a subconscious level.

Everyone is a product of their lives and experiences therefore there's no real value in belittling them in your thoughts.
We're all mirrors, the highest energy is continually projected. So try to project understanding so that can be reflected back at you.
>>
>>18063969

It helps to realize that most people are weird or eccentric in some way and have some anxieties even if you're not aware of it. Some are good at hiding it. Some have made piece with it. For some, being "normal" I'd a totally unnatural state and they live in constant fear of being outed as a fraud.

So be considerate of the flaws and quirks of people. They are who they are just as you are who you are.

Also, controlling others is an illusion. If you think you make people do shit, you're fooling yourself. At best you can encourage people to do shit they already would be inclined to do or give them née info to ponder.

But if you're losing sleep because you think you had the opportunity to say/do something that would have made someone react a certain way- particularly a way seemingly contrary to their nature, then you have unrealistic expectations.

You don't have to win a conversation to validate your own being.
>>
>>18064055
Thanks, that does help me a lot, any other advice?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.