[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On Associates of Arts Degrees and Not Fucking up Everything.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

Hi /adv/.
>I've done a decent job saving money from my shitty job.
I have apx $14,000 USD in savings from shitty job because I don't really buy or do stuff.
>I have no debts.
>Go into community college to major in whatever the fuck.
>After bouncing around decide the best option for me is to get an associates of arts degree (a degree in whatever the fuck).
>I've had a REALLY good time in school, I've really grown and learned a lot just in the short time I've been doing college stuff.
>Realize an associates of arts degree is just a ticket to transfer to another (exponentially more expensive) school.
My question to you is this...
>Do I stay and complete my associates of arts degree just because I'm almost done (and THEN pursue a degree worth a shit)
OR
>Do I say fuck the associates of arts and get an associates of pre-engineering so I can actually attain a degree in something worth a shit?
If I stay at the community college I'll be there until spring 2019 because of all of the calculus I still need. I'm 21 y/o now, so there's no big rush.
Tl;DR.--> OP isn't sure if he should bother to take another semester of bologna useless courses to finish his associates of fuckall when he can start pursuing a good degree in the fall.
Will bump with cool photos periodically.
>>
File: 1479493857774.jpg (354KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1479493857774.jpg
354KB, 1536x2048px
bump because help me
>>
would your pre-engineering degree actually transfer to an engineering degree at a decent college? do the credits and courses transfer?

if you look at
http://catalog.valenciacollege.edu/degrees/associateinarts/articulatedpremajorsatvalencia/computerscienceuniversityofcentralflorida/
for an example they've got a special associate of arts course set up for a transfer to a state university computer science course, same with a lot of the bachelors available at UCF.
>>
File: 1396563172219.jpg (129KB, 600x446px) Image search: [Google]
1396563172219.jpg
129KB, 600x446px
I don't know where you live OP, but I think that life out there is really hard especially for young people. You will not find a decent job with an arts degree (ok maybe you could, but the chances are not good at all). My suggestion is to go into engineering/computer-related shit as fast as you can. Trump can argue about "bringing back jobs" that the Chinese stole, but all that shit will be useless soon as machines, programs and AI will take over all the jobs next.
>>
It's pretty wasteful to just abandon the degree you are almost finished. What courses have you taken so far? The CC AA degree isn't worth much on its own, but it is better than nothing and can let you transfer to a real university to do something useful hopefully.
>>
>>18062259
Yes. Many students at my CC go on to study at the Missouri School of Mines( It's called Missouri S&T now).
>>18062273
Right, I know man. That's why I'm unsure the extra effort for the associates of arts is even worth another semester of useless stuff.
I want to do biomedical engineering or something applicable to transhumanist stuff.
I should have been more clear, the degree program I'm in now has everything from literature to chemistry as requirements. It's a liberal arts education. There's a bit of everything, and it's designed to transfer to other big schools. It's fun, but I wish it was worth more on its own.
>>18062277
So do I finish it off and then continue at the same institution doing pre engineering (inexpensively) or just transfer and start at a bigger and more expensive school?
>>
Have you bothered to look to see what sort of course requirements are needed for a bachelors at the 4 year school you would like to attend? And what courses from the CC would transfer to provide credit for your 4 year degree?

Because that will go a long way to letting you know whether or not it's worth finishing up at the CC or not.
>>
>>18062166
The requirements for engineering degrees to transfer is what you should base yourself off of.

My opinion is that you should complete your A.A. as it should satisfy most of the general education requirements and then complete the bare minimum required to transfer. The core engineering classes should really be done at the target institution.

If it doesn't go as planned at least you still have you A.A. to fall back on. Truthfully an A.S. would probably be better suited for you as they typically have more science or math classes depending on your community college.
>>
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've done a good job of enrolling myself into classes that give me "honors" credits and also the STEM algebra and trig courses. I'm kind of in between goals, I guess.
The A.S. my school offers has basic engineering design courses, but it's mostly things like chemistry, differential equations, macroeconomics. and engineering physics they offer at my school for that program. You don't engineer much except for some circuit lab stuff, though the school does have SolidWorks and AutoCad stuff available. I've not taken any of those.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.