[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STEM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (224KB, 540x264px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
224KB, 540x264px
So, /adv/, my brother is a Chemical Engineer. Although he likes his career, he hates that the university that he did it wasn't as remarkable as he wishes it was (it is still a good one).
I got into the same university, but I will be entering Environmental Engineering, and he is extremely biased against it. He says that I should study another year to try for something else and that that's not a true type of engineering (and mainly if I'm doing it in the same university he graduated).
So, /adv/, is that an actual type of Engineering outside of my shithole country? Is it really a worthless course, like he says?
>>
No. It's not a real type of engineers. It's shit, it's useless and won't get you a job. Either work hard and be a proper engineer or find a rich husband that you deny sex so he sticks around.

>environmental engineers
Give me a fucking a break
>>
>>18060648
Wait, how do you know I am a female?
>>
>>18060653
Cuz you sounded retarded. Try gender studies instead yo.
>>
I don't think it's a type of engineering per se, and not really sure what you do/study in your course but all civil engineering firms have an environmental team. Why don't you look online for the kind of jobs that are out there and see for yourself? Basically I think you're fine
>>
>>18060658
English isn't my mother tongue , and I learned it by myself there are big gaps of my understanding of the language so that's probably it. Or you're just an asshole.
And like hell I will do something like that. What is the kind of engineers that works on sanitary fields there?
>>
>>18060665
I'm just an asshole.

Garbage disposal engineers? Yeah you could definitely have a thriving career in that.
>>
>>18060670
The fact that you're honest about it it's kind of endearing so... Yay?
I want to work with somethings regarding nature but that doesn't requires me to move out of a big city. It's also my only option for now, so it's hard to say no to it, even if I think the whole thing is somewhat of a bullshit.
>>
>>18060688
Fuck off I didn't ask for your problems do what you want
>>
>>18060694
Huh
Why are you on /adv/, then?
Can you tell me what are the existing STEM fields in your country?
>>
>>18060703
To be an asshole obviously.

The same as in every country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science,_technology,_engineering,_and_mathematics

Get your shit together
>>
>>18060631
Which country are you from?
Job opportunities depend heavily on that.
>>
>>18060707
Is that just something you like to do or are you having a bad day? If it's the latter I hope you have a better day tomorrow, anon.
I don't know, it looks like it's the same as what Wikipedia describes as eSTEM for me. There isn't anything remotely likely gender studies in my country, for example.

>>18060708
Brazil. I've argued with my brother that because of that I would probably have a really big market, mainly in face of recent events but he disagrees. I don't think I can trust him on that because he has personal reasons to be against it, but he is the only professional view I have access to.
>>
>>18060658
kek

>>18060631
ok OP, do you know the syllabus?
What kind of problems you can solve when you graduate?
>>
>>18060730
Brazil? Why aren't you following in the footsteps of your president Cris Cyborg and joining the UFC?
>>
>>18060658
Top kek
>>
>>18060631
Your success is determined by finding your individual skills and maximizing them. If you do something you hate or that you aren't good at, not only will you be miserable, you'll always be mediocre at best.
>>
if it's what you want to do AND there's a market for it go do it
your brother is being an asshole
>>
Environmental engineering is growing, but it's not a widely populated field and the likelihood is that the people hired to fill their roles have qualifications in other fields applied to it. Another point for low entry fields like this is the competition; you either need to the connections to get you started or have the prospect of fighting against well established figures in the field defending their position rigorously. The larger area you can reach, the better your prospects.
Best thing to do is look at the current vacancies for related jobs to the career that you want, compare that against job growth and then see how many transferable skills come with the job you get into.
Also contact some members in the industry if you're still stumped, first impressions will give you a better idea of what you can expect post graduation. Focus on asking how long it took them to get a job, how the job presented itself, how frequent work comes in (and if they're from the same source or have multiple employers).

On a side note, ask why your brother thinks the way he does and where he got his information from. Elitism is omnipresent in this sort of thing and he could be arguing from a place of ignorance or misinformation.
>>
I'm from Brazil too (north), just got accepted into Civil Engineering, but my second option was environmental engineering as well - I personally love it, it has wonderful job opportunities, but you must be willing to do some nasty stuff sometimes and travel a lot and go to a lot of rural areas and such. If you don't mind that, go ahead - in Brazil it's a growing Market and you should have tons of opportunities if you study hard, your brother is a jerk.
(Se quiser conversar comigo pelo facebook só me avisar, viu, conheço vários amigos da área)
>>
>>18061167
>(Se quiser conversar comigo pelo facebook só me avisar, viu, conheço vários amigos da área)
>hitting a young grill up on /adv/ under the guise of advice and connections
noice
>>
>>18061167
Fuck girls in your own city, creep. Did she say she was a filthy Bahiana?
>>
>>18061186
What's a Bahiana?
>>
>>18061197
A woman from Bahia.
>>
>>18061200
Culturally I mean. Are they poor or uneducated? Or worse, black?
>>
>>18060653
When the anon population is 99% male, a femanon post is weirdly obvious.
>>
>>18061172>>18061172
>>18061186

I'm a girl too nigga chill
>>
>>18061214
>hitting on a innocent, young, whole world ahead of her, girl in order to convert her to being a lesbian
Disgusting. You need to see father Moreira first thing tomorrow.
>>
>>18061197
>>18061200
Woman from Bahia, but it's said Baiana not Bahiana
>>
>>18061219
Maybe since you're such a low class Bahiana you don't use the h in the same way american black people don't use the g at the end of words like "sleeping". Ah, so uncultured and uneducated despite being an engineer. Really disappointed in you Bethe.
>>
>>18061231 I'm lower, senpai, I'm from north brazil, not northeast. Hole is deeper.
>>
>>18061239
The nice germans are all in the south right? What's the north like? Is it true you celebrate jacare souza's birthday on Christmas? On a scale of 1 to 10 how gustosa are you?
>>
Environmental engineering and civic engineering as an extension, are usually heavily publicly funded job markets. As a result, the bureaucracy and corruption you will have to deal with is unreal. You will work moderately hard for a degree to end up in an Office Space situation for the rest of your life.

Consider another Engineering for your own sake.
>>
>>18061249
Yep, north has mostly japanese colonies and such. Mostly, South > southeast > central-West > northeast > north, so we're the worst, most fucked ones. & not really, regular christmas only. About 7-8, but at least I'm white.
>>
>>18061283
How come the Japanese dun goofed?
>>
>>18061291
WW2, nowhere to go, they went to São Paulo and Pará (where I'm from) and formed the two biggest colonies.
>>
>>18061304
Yeah but aren't Japanese supposed to be clever, why is being a Paraiana so bad? Post your bunda
>>
>>18060653
Only girls take environmental "engineering". At my school the percentage of guys in the enviro program is probably under 10%.
>>
>>18060631
It's not an engineering and it doesn't worth shit, even worse than engineering physics. Get a proper engineer, a classical one, like chemical, civil, computer etc. Or if you've got what it takes math or physics. But it's really up to you. Just don't pick one just because you'll make lots of money. Just pick the one you like. Follow your dreams.
>>
I know a guy who got a masters in environmental engineering from UC Berkeley. He couldn't find a job of any kind actually using the degree - ended up opening a bar.
>>
>>18061847
Yeah but that's the uni that banned free speech right?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.