[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a landlord do anything about you using too much electricity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Pepper.jpg (423KB, 1080x1340px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper.jpg
423KB, 1080x1340px
Can a landlord do anything about you using too much electricity if utilities are included with the rent in an apartment? I basically leave the air conditioning on 24/7 and have been doing that for the past 1.5 years, they're just now noticing. Today they left me a voicemail and implied I should shut it off as it could be a waste of electricity, can they legally do anything?

Pic not related.
>>
>>18058603
If you're on a lease, those terms stand. They could on your next renewal, include a cap price for the electricity they cover, and if it is over the cap, you'd pay for it.
>>
>>18058603

i was in a similar situation, OP.

tldr; landed in jail but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise

how i landed in jail: had to rent out a room because desperately need money for expensive meds and medical equipment for sister. tenant insisted free electricity promised won't use much. was so desperate bills coming so i agreed. tenant leaves air conditioning on 24/7. electric bill comes and it's so high i didn't have enough money to pay. electricity got cut off while i'm buying meds and came back and medical equipment not working because no electricity and sister dead. got drunk don't remember what happened after got drunk. was told i was at someone's lawn screaming "REREDRUM! REREDRUM! REREDRUM!" at garden gnomes. policed picked me up and put me in jail to sober up.

how it was a blessing in disguise: also in jail when i woke up was guy who specializes in apocalyptically painful torture kidnapping who is now my new tenant. so now i have a hobby that i sadistically enjoy two hours each day at a new house i was able to buy (thanks to my old tenant who left - i don't know where he went i will not answer any more questions about him talk to my lawyer - kindly leaving all his expensive stuff and money he was a nice person after all leaving me all that stuff to repay me for my kindness to him for letting him leave his air-conditioning on 24/7) located deep in the forest where no one can hear you scream.
>>
>>18058603
if there's no electricity cap in your lease then no they can't do anything

except not renew your lease when its up that is, so be prepared for that possibility
>>
Most likely no, but why would you be so fucking wasteful anyways? Stop being a lazy asshole.
>>
>>18059594

Because I can. That's why.
>>
>>18059687
Kill yourself because you can.
>>
>>18059687
I used to think people like this were nonexistent and then I moved in with my best friend.

Haven't yalked to him in a while.
>>
>>18059554
b8
>>
>>18058603
Probably can't do anything about you wasting utilities

>But what he can do is wait til you have a complaint, or has any reason to raise your rent, or any legitimate suit against you

Don't be so short-sited over nothing
>>
>>18059893
>short-sited

what's that? a web site with a short url? a web site for short people?
>>
>>18059554
tell me more about your new arrangement and your new hobby there
>>
>>18058603
I know this is a necro, but for those who are interested...

Most leases where utilities are included in rent have clauses regarding excess usage. Even if there isn't such a clause, the law in a lot of places recognizes liability based on unreasonable/negligent behavior.

In general, if you act like an asshole and cost someone money, expect to be held accountable for it.
>>
>>18058603
Check your lease for an "excessive use"clause. If it's not there, you're safe. But expect a rent increase if you renew your lease.
>>
>>18058603
Depends on your local laws. Use the internet. Ya know, the same one that brought you to 4chan.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.