[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hipsters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 3e76735.jpg (59KB, 639x639px) Image search: [Google]
3e76735.jpg
59KB, 639x639px
Can someone psychologically explain "hipsters"?

Sometimes I go to shows only to walk through a crowd of folks who I imagine feel MUCH cooler than me. They have a certain way of dressing, talking, acting... I don't understand it. I've always hated hipsters but then realized I am also one with my interests, dress, and tendencies. Any help?
>>
>>18055690
Hipsters are what normies call anyone different than your average 9-5 cookie-cutter wage slave.
>>
>>18055712
>implying anybody but hipsters LARPing as le misfit use that argument

you're so misunderstood by society anon not just a loser ;____;
>>
>>18055690
Hipsters are the shocktroopers of gentrification. Culture thieves and faux-liberal cunts.
>>
Hipsters do things ironically.

If people like a thing that you do not like but you do it anyways just so you can not like it then you are a hipster.

The trick is to just not do things you don't like.
>>
>>18055690
>Can someone psychologically explain "hipsters"?
Well, let's paint with the broad strokes, and assume as little as possible. They dress differently, and engage in activities, and consume products not common among the general population. Their drinks may be from a foreign country, or their music may be from an indie band, but the common characteristic is that no one culture is borrowed from, and the products they consume don't come from big corporations (or at least not from ones that don't come off as very corporatey), and the less it overlaps with other established mainstream cultures, the better.

So, the only hard conclusion we can make about hipsters is that they don't have high regards for the opinions and thoughts of "mainstream" culture. Usually, hipsters build their identity on the fact that their way of life is not mainstream.

Another thing we can conclude, with at least fair certainty, is that hipsters are not characterized by their darkness, like emos and goths. A hipster may or may not be a dark person, but overall, hipsters are not focused on dark ideas, or have negative attitudes about the nature of the world.

Finally, the weakest assumption we can make is that most hipsters are white liberals from upper class homes. It's a fairly common stereotype. When you consider the kind of culture they borrow, and the possible background of most hipsters, the conclusion might be that these kids are rebelling against their rich status in favor of a more down to earth, and folksy, experience, and instead of picking one folk culture, and sticking with it, they grab from many, stripping away context and meaning of their items in favor of the aesthetic that it brings, whether it be the experience itself, or the aura that comes with the consumption of that product or culture.

If you ask me, hipsters are fucking faggots, who have absolutely zero fucking culture, and are incredibly vapid as a whole.
>>
>>18055756
So basically they're afraid of their feelings. They can't just admit to people they genuinely like things? They have to hide behind a cloak of irony?
>>
>>18055859
it's not post-modern post-truth enough to admit you like things without burying it under the guise of a snarky asshole
>>
File: 1387266714903.gif (745KB, 354x252px) Image search: [Google]
1387266714903.gif
745KB, 354x252px
>>18055690

We're all hipsters. We're all just a bunch of disenfranchised youth desperately latching for things that make us feel unique and better than everyone else. We're all just different flavors of the same shitty cultural by-product.

Just people who think they are better than people because they think they are better than other people because think they are better than other people....
>>
>>18055924
speak for yourself. I don't cling to pie in the sky mysticism, political movements, or ironic trends to make myself feel whole nor do I have a desire to be """unique""" and """special""" and a "misfit" "rejected by all but still superior!!!"

You only do it because you think it'll net you pussy. That's the reason the rest of you fucks do it, solely because you think it'll net you pussy. Humans don't change. The situation changes, but humans don't change...
>>
File: 1468886906396.gif (1MB, 388x369px) Image search: [Google]
1468886906396.gif
1MB, 388x369px
>>18055939

>speak for yourself. I don't cling to pie in the sky mysticism, political movements, or ironic trends to make myself feel whole nor do I have a desire to be """unique""" and """special""" and a "misfit" "rejected by all but still superior!!!"

I've noticed two groups of people; the people who follow trends to feel unique and the people that criticize people who follow those trends to feel unique.

Its fairly ironic because while what you would call "hipsters" derive their feeling of superiority from these small, fringe trends there's a similar group right across the aisle, like you've displayed, who get their feeling of superiority by criticizing those trends, characterizing everyone who follows them as sheople and snowflakes.

I've found that the most genuine people are the ones who don't care enough to say anything at all. I've found that people who are the most vocal and critical of hipsters are the ones who feel the most insecure because deep down, they know that at least hipsters have somewhere to go. They have at least a very loose sense of community where they can go and be around like-minded people, as fake as it is, because when all you do is revolve your personality around criticizing other personalities you find yourself, more or less, alone.

I'm not sure if thats the kind of person you are but thats the vibe you put off, at least. The most genuine person among us is the one who doesn't judge or say anything at all.

I'm no better than anyone else, really. Just because the personification of my insecurities aren't outwardly displayed in my fashion and music choices doesnt mean I don't have them. I'm a human. I have my things that give me purpose and make me feel wanted and elevated. I'm not too good for it and neither are you.
>>
>>18055852
Didnt know Jordan Peterson posted on /adv/. That was an incredibly rigorous analysis, and quite on the mark, I think.
>>
Well, I think we should assume the term "hipster" nowadays is deprecated and used it as something bad,

The hipster culture comes from the mid 40s iirc and it was just a lowlife standard which focused on not following whatever stream it were on.

The thing is nowadays that counter-culture got mainstream (which is a big fuckup) and in the other hand is sadly which other anons told you about feeling special, which made the try of going non-mainstream to ridicolous extremes.

For example, I think before being Hipster were a thing, you never would though bad on some people carrying some typewritter to the park. I guess you would though "wow, that's weird, but it is okay" instead of "fucking faggots doing weird shit on parks"

There's also people who doesn't like mainstream shit for whatever reason (like me), but they don't go into other other's life telling "OH, SO YOU LISTEN TO MAINSTREAM MUSIC" like a vegan will do with its food.

I can expand more this last point if you like it.
>>
>>18055732
i didn't know coffee and flannels belonged to a special culture
>>
>>18055732
>faux-liberal

Spot on!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.