[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with virgin older brother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: sicamous.png (301KB, 308x547px) Image search: [Google]
sicamous.png
301KB, 308x547px
My brother has just dropped out of university after taking 5 years to complete an environmental science course in a city that is two hours away from our hometown. He's just moved back home with our family and he drives me up the wall. I am working for a year before I go to college so now I have to live with him again before I move away. To begin with, he is a total NEET with no interests or hobbies other than video games. Back when him and I were in high school, we started going to the gym together to boost our confidence since I used to be just like him. Nowadays he has quit going and is the same person he was in high school. Really socially inept, has no confidence, and always believes people are watching his every move. It's been a week since he has moved back in and he has done absolutely nothing other than rack up hours on dota and overwatch. I have tried to help him build confidence by trying to teach him to drive my stick shift car. The first day went great and he picked it up after about an hour but the next day when it came time to drive on the roads he was doing terrible because his concern of other people watching him. He almost broke down when he stalled in traffic so I had to switch seats and drive away. Now he has completely given up and won't handle the situation like an adult. He tells me that he understands that he shouldn't care so much about what other people think but then he can never put it into practice. He said that he'll start going to the gym again, but he hasn't gone to buy a membership yet. He doesn't cook breakfast or lunch for himself so the only time he'll eat is when my dad cooks supper or when he goes to eat fast food. He is just living off of my parent's money. Guys, I really don't know what to do here. I really want my brother to succeed in life but I don't want to become a drill instructor to get his ass into gear but I can't let myself watch him dig himself deeper into this rut. I have more stories and can answer questions
>>
What is the easiest step forward for him? Does he have any other interests or hobbies?
>>
>>18053197
That's some serious anxiety. I'd take him to a therapist.
Good on you for teaching him to drive tho. Little things help him build confidence.
>>
>>18053197
Why don't you worry about your own fucking problems? Your parents will eventually kick his sorry ass out and same to you who seems to also be leeching of your parents.
>>
>>18053219
Edgy
>>
File: grad.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
grad.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>18053203
I think it would be for him to take up a job, really any job just to find out what interests him. He doesn't even know why he started his degree. Maybe I'm just a shitty brother, but I haven't seen or heard of him doing anything other than gaming. He has over 4000 hours on dota 2. He has tried to learn card tricks, but lacks the effort to read the books he's bought about the tricks. He has never taken to sports when we were kids, even though our parents loved baseball and forced us to play.

He's him and I at my grad
>>
>>18053267
Try asking him what he actually is interested in and get him to go to lessons on that. If there isn't anything try making him work in retail stacking stuff with people his age.
>>
>>18053219
I see your point. I do worry about my own problems. I am really nervous about going back to school since I don't know what I am going to do yet. I worry about how my girlfriend's dealing with her divorcing parents. I'm not leeching off of my parents, I work full time as a laborer and help my parents around the house. They don't want anything more from me as long as I go to school and do good. My parents were never hard on my brother because he was bullied a lot and never learned from it. Him and I just turned out differently I guess. It's hard to just give up one someone you used to love.
>>
>>18053267
I think you need to have a sit down with your parents and explain how concerned you are about your brother, that you think they really need to push him to look for work and get in therapy to deal with his anxiety (and depression?)

Its good that you're teaching him how to drive, but insist he keep practicing with you atleast once a week or more. Say to him a day or two in advance "we're gonna practice driving tomorrow" and then remind him that morning. Don't be too hard on him for freaking out btw, I remember how hard it was to learn to drive stick, every time I stalled out at a stop light and people behind me started honking I felt like I was going to die. Don't let him give up on it, the same thing for going to the gym.

He really needs to get out and find work though, living at home and whatnot is secondary, getting out of NEETdom is the primary concern.
>>
>>18053218
He has an appointment with my mom's psychiatrist in two days. He probably inherited my mom's bipolar disorder
>>
>>18053328
That is a great way to help him. That is the first step.
>>
>>18053313
Thanks for the reinforcement, it just feels really shitty that I might be the only one who actually cares about him. He got his driver's licence at age 20 so its not that he can't drive, it's just stick shift. When he was freaking out about stalling, I just said to him that it's part of the learning process and that he'll laugh about it in a years time. I don't know what to do when he gets upset though, because it really ruins the rest of his day. I want him to learn that failure is part of everything and that he can't learn without it.
>>
>>18053355
just keep at it, have you told him what you're telling us that he can get in a mood and it really brings...the mood down? Tell him that's something he needs to work on with his therapist, learning to be in control of his emotions and think more rationally.
>>
You sound like a condescending faggot. Do you think you are somehow 'better' than him?
>>
>>18053403
Yea I sound like an asshole saying all this. I'm trying to explain the whole situation of his life in a 4chan post so I can see why I sound condescending, but I really like my brother and want to help him. He was my best friend before he left for university. I don't think I'm better than him, him and I are really similar. He's just stuck in a rut and I want to help him but I've never done this before so I don't know where to start. I don't want to see myself as better than him and I'm not trying to say that I can help him because I'm a better person. It's only about how he doesn't have confidence in anything he does. He is really school smart, he's definitely better than me at that. I know I would have dropped out if I was in the same shoes as him
>>
>>18053197
Your brother sounds exactly like me desu.
Some people are simply not meant to have a succesful life. Everything is not for everyone, some people just can't handle it. The sooner you accept it the better.

What's his dota mmr btw?
>>
>>18053515
About 5000 and his SR in overwatch is 3950
>>
>>18053515
Don't listen to him, that's the attitude of a loser. Help your brother find a path in life he loves, even if it isn't a stereotypically successful one.
>>
>>18053461
God I wish I had a brother like you. I'm the oldest (by enough) and the younger two are the definition of spoiled brats. Like "fuck you dad the $80 internet doesn't let me watch netlfix and play overwatch" types.

Sorry ranting. Well since I've been in that situation I'd just help him with the smallest things. Once you get him to realize that he has the power to change his life (even if it's just with shit like making sure his room is clean, the stick shift, maybe going on a walk everyday) he'll start doing it on his own.

Also get him to focus on the present more than the future. Getting caught up in the "but i need a house, a car, a family by age X" and all that other shit will just distract and depress him

Good luck OP. You're a good brother.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.