[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living in NYC w/ no money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: new york city.jpg (280KB, 1600x1073px) Image search: [Google]
new york city.jpg
280KB, 1600x1073px
Just got a full ride acceptance to a PhD program in New York City. The stipend is roughly $27,000 per year. How hard is it going to be to live on that? I know I'll have to live in a cheap area (i.e. not Manhattan), but should I expect to have to live in a crime infested area?
>>
That's like working full time for a year on min wage. What you should do is create a budget, try to find someplace under 1k a month and you should be fine. But please BUDGET YOUR MONEY and resist the urge to buy stupid shit
>>
Is that 27,000 per year including rent?

Doesn't even matter... There is no way to live like a human being on less than 75K in NYC.
>>
Also look for places on Staten Island. Personally speaking its an ok place
>>
>>18052930
Basically.

He would be best to try taking a second job. (EMT Cert is an option? And then he can work for a private provider part time. That may be just enough to supplement the stipend enough to scrape by.

Figure ~16 hrs a week @ ~18/hr should put you at enough so at least you can bring in an additional 12k a year.
>>
>>18052930
Generally when you have a stipend for a phd program you're living in provided housing.
>>
>>18052963
Generally that's not true.
>>
PhD programs do not provide housing. There is campus housing, but from what I've seen they're like undergraduate dorms, meaning they're more expensive than independently renting.
>>
>>18052930
>>18052921
Are you talking about the money before taxes?
Then what you get of 75K is probably half of it anyway and I don't know if you have to pay taxes on PhD scholarship.

Even Airbnb has rooms under 1000$ per month. I'm not an American but looked for a room in NYC. There are crime maps where you can see that some less fancy places are actually very safe. Manhattan in turn has lots of crime.
>>
>>18052945
>$18/hr as a new EMT
what fantasy world is this?

He'd have to work for someone like Seniorcare or Life Line for $10/hr (may go up with minimum wage increase though) you wont be able to get hired by any of the private hospitals without many years of experience
>>
>>18053260
NYC the median EMT salary is ~18 an hr.

Minimum wage in NYC is about 11.00/hr for over 11 employess. So it is not unreasonable for the median to be what he'll make especially give the relatively high turnover rate of EMT's
>>
>>18053394
the median rate is not the entry rate
>>
>>18053570
Refer to the high turnover rate.

Also, the starting FDNY EMT Salary is about 16/hr and they typically are abit below privates by about 2-3/hr
>>
There's almost no chance I would become an EMT so that's moot
>>
>>18053669
It's an option though.

Point being look for some part time work that pays around 18-20/hr.

I'm sure your qualified for something above minimum wage
>>
>>18054918

thread so relevant I didn't even have to bump it myself
>>
>>18052921
Despite what people on here will tell you, it is possible to live in NYC on $27,000 / year. That's $2250 per month, obviously. Let's break that down.

You are going to need to find a place for $1000 / mo or less. That means roommates or a pretty bare-bones apartment, but both are available (there are in fact studio apartments in NYC for around that). You will have to sacrifice either space or privacy, maybe both, but you should be able to find one that's at least clean and safe (if you can't, keep looking).

Public transportation rounds up to about $150 / mo assuming you mainly just take the subway. You can eat for between $500 and $700 a month, but you're gonna have to eat pretty cheaply, which means going out to eat is gonna have to be a much rarer occurrence than it is for most New Yorkers. But you'll be able to keep yourself alive and reasonably healthy. Let's say misc expenses and bills are a further $300 a month. That leaves you with one, two, maybe three hundred to play with or save depending on how much you're able to shave off of your various necessary expenses.

Will it be glamorous and comfortable? Not really. But it is doable, for a while.
>>
>>18054964
Eh, I live outside the city, so i kinda am interested in cheap living solutions around here
>>
>>18055002

What types of leases are around mostly? I'm from a college town where 99% of leases will lock you into a 9 or 12 month commitment based around the school's schedule. Is there more month-to-month leasing in NYC?

I'll be moving with hopefully between $3,000-$5,000, which might soften the blow for a bit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.