[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laziness and procrastination

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1471898641046.jpg (340KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1471898641046.jpg
340KB, 1080x1920px
I have really terrible work ethics and always get distracted over vidya and internet rather than doing college work. How do I fix this?
>>
>>18052089

Set up separate places for studying and free time. I never study at home, but go to uni library and vice versa. It takes some time to set up that routine, but it's worth it. When I have deadlines I spend 6-8h at the library during "work time" and then come home for off time. It helps to set the mood.
>>
>>18052105
That sounds like a great idea. The library's a bit too far from my campus building, but there's a study area for my department in its grounds. I feel silly not thinking of that sooner.

One thing though, what if I can't reach that special place for one reason or another? my course requires me to draw stuff with clean sheets of paper and the study area isn't all that clean.
>>
File: habit-loop.png (10KB, 348x201px) Image search: [Google]
habit-loop.png
10KB, 348x201px
Look into consciously building habits around your addictions.
Find a cue in your existing routine (returning from classes/finishing dinner) and do the tiniest amount of work possible, without excuses. Then push yourself to keep at it as long as you can, and give yourself a reward (a heartfelt fist pump or the like should be good enough).
While you are at it, avoid cues to your old habits. Turn off your phone, move away from PC and consoles. Move your work to library.
>>
>>18052125
What if I have a turbulent schedule? I'm also taking up 2 organizations right now and I could end the day as soon as 9 and as late as 1 in the morning. it would be really taxing to make a cue of "retuning home" or even "after dinner" since I keep skipping up on food recently.

Speaking of habit loops, I heard that the only way to fix a habit is to change the routine while keeping cue and reward constant. What if my habit is masturbating?
>>
>>18052089
I used to use vidya and internet as a reward scheme. So I'd set a goal, meet that goal, and have a reward of a certain time limit for fucking off.

I wasn't the kind of person who needed to study to maintain good grades though, so this only really works for doing assignments/writing papers. I have no study tips at all. I can't even study for my job.
>>
>>18052140
Those are just examples, that's why I'm telling you to find yours.
>it would be really taxing to make a cue of "retuning home" or even "after dinner" since I keep skipping up on food recently.
How so?
Irregularity doesn't matter, your cue isn't the day of the week or the time (it could be though). As for 'taxing', the whole point is to make the act effortless, as you brain embraces routine, and ignores stimuli which are irrelevant to getting the reward. Hence the 'minimum amount of work', be it writing a single sentence, or reading a paragraph.

>the only way to fix a habit is to change the routine while keeping cue and reward constant
From what I've read I've found no reference to expiration rate for habits. It's there forever, waiting for stress to knock you off balance. That's why I wrote
>building habits around your addictions
The cue does stay constant, but routine needs 'a' reward, not 'the' reward. Masturbation is then like any other habit. Find cue, hijack or avoid it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.