[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I go into the military?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: treefiddy.jpg (24KB, 592x354px) Image search: [Google]
treefiddy.jpg
24KB, 592x354px
I'm currently finishing my second semester at community college with intentions to go to transfer to a local college. I never took the SAT but on the PSAT I got upper 90th percentiles in every category (This was six years ago). I'm averaging A's this semester and have a 3.6 gpa as of now. I'm currently in Calc 2, Intro to Computer science, Wester civ 2 and intro Psych. After this semester my parents aren't paying for anything. I'm broke, but have the opportunity to work tech support at my friends web hosting company with opportunities to train under their development team. I'm planning on transferring to an instate institution because there's a program where I can keep paying TCC prices.

My concerns are
1. Idk if I should take out loans for the next semester and build debt or do 4 years in the military and get the GI bill.
2. I lack discipline and structure, not sure if the military would be good for that.
3. I'm out of shape and lack motivation to get in shape and I heard the Military is great for that.
4. If I go in the military would I lose motivation to go back to school?
5. Would I qualify for scholarships? (parents make to much for pel grants).
>>
With some college, (in the US I assume) you can get into the military with a higher rank. Yes it will give you discipline, unless you are a complete sack of shit. A LOT of people come out, plan to do the GI Bill, but in my personal experience, the discipline and drive instilled in you by the military, along with the motivation to pass your classes so you don't lose your cash flow, are more than enough to pull your ass through school, especially if you've done fine thus far.

The question you want to ask yourself is if you're ok selling your body, time, and basically your life to the US gov for 4 years (up to 8 if you know who gets us into another war, I forget what it's called, but the military reserves this right to make you serve a full 8 in dire circumstances, also there is stop-loss, which Obama ended, but you know who could bring back)
Are you ok being made to do stupid tasks for stupid people? Can you not be little bitch if sent to war? You'll be punished for the acts of your fellow soldiers, and yanked out of bed at 5am on a Sunday morning to dig ditches or shovel snow.

On the upswing you will get 30 days guaranteed paid vacation a year, full medical, and various allowances and benefits which will make it easier to save money (yearly clothing allowance, free food at the D-fac, rent free barracks living)

The military is sacrificing a big chunk (perhaps all) of your life. But if you're smart, you can squeeze what you need out of it.
>>
>My concerns are
>1. Idk if I should take out loans for the next semester and build debt or do 4 years in the military and get the GI bill.
You can even take classes during those 4 years and have them paid for. GI Bill is smarter if you don't want to manage massive debt
>2. I lack discipline and structure, not sure if the military would be good for that.
They'll force you to live by discipline and structure. So not a problem if you want to learn sone
>3. I'm out of shape and lack motivation to get in shape and I heard the Military is great for that.
They give you all the excercises you need and motivation you can ask for.
>4. If I go in the military would I lose motivation to go back to school?
Lose no. Realise stuff as you grow older and change goals, maybe
>5. Would I qualify for scholarships? (parents make to much for pel grants).
GI Bill takes care of most everything so you wouldn't need any especially if you save the money you earn.
>>
>>18051197
Do you know how likely it is for a "brain" to be put in combat? I had a friend who took the test (I forget what it's called, ASVAB?) and placed in the Nuke field. I beat that kid in just about every test we ever took together. Do you think it's likely I would actually be put in action? I feel like that's more for the brawn isn't it?
>>
>>18051197
Nigga anon doesn't have to worry about going to war especially if he signs up to be something like a mechanic. They don't send everybody to war and he sure as hell ain't gonna die changing spark plugs in the motorpool. Enlistment minimum 4 years and another 4 on callback reserve which getting called back is about as likely as winning the multi million lottery
>>
>>18051204
It all depends on not only your MOS, but your unit and where you get sent. If you get sent somewhere and get told by someone higher rank thann you, "stand here and hold this weapon" guess what? You're not infantry. If you're serving on an air craft carrier or a submarine, navy style, obviously that won't happen, but in the army that shit happens pretty regularly.
If you work in something like aviation, then you're going to be put someplace where they keep planes, which logically would be safe from incoming. But anything having to do with computers, you can be sent anywhere because they're setting up computer networks in the remote hills of Afghanistan all the time. Artillery needs tech people to tell them where to shoot, etc, etc.
but other than high speed navy/Air Force/aviation type stuff, they can put you wherever they need you.
>>
>>18051207
I know a mechanic who got shot.
All those humvees and strykers that roll out everyday, they need to go somewhere to get a tune up, and it's not all the way into Bagrahm every time. All sorts of tiny FOBs have motor pools.
>>
>>18051204

Don't even fucking call yourself that shit. You got support which does logistics, combat arms which are the trained guys who actually get deployed to fight, intelligence which handles cyber stuff and others. You will take the asvab to determine which jobs you qualify for. Your friend scored in the 90th percentile range to qualify for nuke field. You have about a 0% of going into combat unless you sign for a job within combat arms.
>>
>>18051219
I'm getting mixed signals. So you're saying, so long as I score high enough on the asvab, I can get into a field with little to no chance of seeing combat?
>>
>>18051216
You found an exception gratz. There are many of those but being a fob bitch guarantees him that he won't be going outside the line that if he even gets deployed and not sent to one of the many other bases motorpools in countries or here that aren't in conflict zones
>>
>>18051226
The highest chance of seeing any kind of combat if you go into the combat arms line of jobs. And I stress the word CHANCE we are peacetime rn. Despite what the other fucktard is saying I wouldn't count on ever seeing combat especially if you choose a support or intelligence rate. You're more likely to get hit by a car 4 times in a row than to be forced to see combat in today's military. Unless you are actively trying setting yourself up to get sent to conflict zones you won't see one.
>>
>>18051227
Even if you never go outside the wire, that doesn't mean you FOB doesn't get constantly mortared. I'm just saying its a mistake to go in thinking you'll never be put into an active combat situation. That's what all the recruiters tell you. Even Tony Stark had to roll in. Convoy through the desert at some point.
>>
>>18051166
What state are you in? Cause I'm in the national guard in NJ and it pays full tuition. You wouldn't have to wait 3 years for the gi bill to kick in. But it depends on what state you live in.
>>
>>18051242
That's assuming op even gets deployed despite specifically trying to avoid it. And don't ante up the fucking mortaring its basically just sitting under cover while the CRAM does its thing. And Tony stark is an arrogant sob irl he would never been allowed to nor needed to roll through with a convoy
>>
>>18051197
This is wrong however long your contract is, is how long your staying. Mine is 6 years (8 if you include deployment years) some are 2-3 years.
>>
>>18051219
That's not true at all, I'm field artillery and there are a lot of sergeants there who have gone into combat, wtf.
>>
>>18051245
VA
>>
>>18051254
>Field artillery
Combat arms see combat simple as that.
>>
>>18051255
I did a quick search and it says virginia pays up to 2000 per semester. Active might be the thing for you.
>>
>>18051259
When you said combat arms I thought you meant 11b lol. But fuelers/medics could also definitely see combat as well.
>>
>>18051247
>assuming he even gets deployed
Oh, sweet summer child. If you're going to join the armed forces you had better assume you're going to get deployed... Or you're gonna have a bad time.
>>18051250
Check the fine print, I forget if there is a name for it, but even if you sign a 2/4 year contract, you sign away the government 8 years if they need you.
>>
Don't. 4 of my friends have committed suicide in the past year.
>>
>>18051250
IRR
individual Ready Reserve
Google that shit.
Idiot.
>>
>>18051275
Yeah I'm in for 6 years and they have 2 years of irr on me. Like I have to attend drill and annual training for 6 years, more when I re-up. And they also have 2 years. 8 years.
>>
>>18051271
I knew I was signing 8 years but I didn't think everybody had to. I thought it was 2 years added on to your contract. W/e.
>>
>>18051284
>>18051287
like I said, OP signs those papers, OP should know the deal. I am not trying to talk him/her out of it, but witht the political climate as it is, those extra 4 years tacked on to the end could make a big difference.
>>
>>18051271
Oh sweet lovechild of the 80s, the military actually asks these days where you want to go

>>18051270
like I also said unless your activily trying to be in a combat situation you have very little to no chance of seeing conflict.
>>
After IRR there is also Stop Loss. Even though for OIF and OEF Stop Loss was mostly limited to under 5 months tagged on to the end of deployments, I know someone who was Stop Lossed for 14 months, no joke. The entire deployment, and a few months at the end for reintegration. It was largely because his unit was fucking shitty, but these things do happen.
But PRIASE OBAMA for that retroactive Stop Loss allowance, it paid entirely for his convertible.
>>
>>18051305
I actually got stationed every place I asked to get stationed, but that didn't have anything to the combat zones one gets deployed to once you're at your garrison.
>>
>>18051305
Well my unit is probably gonna get deployed next year, not sure it's only a rumor rn so but the whole unit is going.
>>
>>18051316
Trust in your brothers, trust in yourself, trust in your training.
Don't be that guy who writes the goodbye letter to his girlfriend in the beginning of the movie. That guy always dies.
>>
>>18051319
Honestly don't know if sarcasm, bit thanks dude.
>>
>>18051305
>>18051311
What kind of places do you get stationed? Is this list accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments

I thought most soldiers would be in the ME, but it says there are more people in Germany than in all of West Asia/North Africa and Afghanistan
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.