[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weed and health

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

Hey guys,
I've been reading studies on how smoking marijuana effects cognitive function, but all the studies seem to be inconclusive. They all say that the result was implied, or that it showed some correlation, or it can be connected with blah blah. So I want the opinions of long time weed smokers. Some details:
>be 21
>engineering student
>barely passing, though even by passing I'm in the top 40%
>smoke weed every second day or so
>if I let myself go, I smoke weed from sunrise to sunset
>trying to get myself to study first, and only smoke a little weed in the evening
>been smoking weed for 3+ years, but only been smoking more than once a week for 9 months

How has weed affected you? Do you feel like you can still function at an acceptable level? When you take breaks, do you feel like your abilities are enhanced? Is your performance affected by your marijuana consumption even when you're sober?
>>
Personally in regards to studying it's not the best aid, I'd stick to a light smoke on the weekend if I was studying. Or just stop for a while
>>
>>18048945
I know for sure that I can't study when I'm high, that's a given, I'm just trying to see if it'd work if I only smoked weed after I'm done studying, and trying to gauge some experiences, as I can't find any other conclusive sources
>>
I'm 29 and I've been smoking since I was 21. I've had a couple periods where I abstained for at least 6 months. I found that it does impair my cognitive function especially in the 48 hours after smoking. My thinking is slower, I have trouble with short term memory and my moods are much more unstable. After two days or so I'm back to feeling "normal" but cognitive function and mood stability is still at a reduced rate.

After 4 weeks of no weed (and a week of insomnia, irritability and a couple of inexplicable crying sessions) the brain fog lifts and I experience much more clarity of mind and all that comes with it: quicker wit, stabler moods, more energy overall, and BETTER GRADES. I'm able to sit and concentrate on work for longer without feeling bored, improved cognitive function allows me to get work done a lot quicker and for my study sessions to be more productive as I remember more and have less trouble connecting the dots so-to-speak. Not only that, but I feel much more motivated and have less of those "Blah, fuck it" moments like I have now. Sense of urgency actually propels me to action instead of spiraling into depressive thoughts. I'm less anxious. When actively smoking (like I am now), just being in a room full of people is enough to make me break out in a nervous sweat so I skip a lot of classes just to avoid that feeling.

Everyone's body chemistry is different so take it with a grain of salt but I find that I can't think at my full potential when on any drug, weed or otherwise.
>>
I'm in the same situation, like exactly
>21
>studying engineering
>barely passing

It's been now at least for 5 years that I smoke weed. At least a join a day. Much more on weekend/holidays. I'm fucking addicted, plus my gf is too.
Mentally talking, I don't feel that mind fog you get when you're permanently high. I don't feel the urge to stop. If you aren't high while at school or during the day, I think you could live your life like this. I don't really think it altered my brain while development, but if I started younger I don't know.
>>
>>18048990
I want to add that invariably I end up coming back to smoking and it's always enjoyable at first. I get higher than I did when I had a high tolerance and I love the relaxing body high you get from some strains. After a while though it becomes just another thing I have to do to keep feeling good. After rereading all this I think it's time to quit again. Don't get me wrong I see the health benefits of using marijuana and shit it's fun to get high sometimes, but it's just not good for me. We all have to make that decision for ourselves.
>>
>>18048998
Oh and I never took a real break from it, didn't feel like I had to.
Without a doubt I'll see the difference, but I clearly improved myself too since I began smoking (growing out of autism) So I really don't know what it could be.
Maybe I'll be even more smart that I already am
>>
>>18048990
Honestly don't know if I could quit smoking weed for so long. The longest I stopped smoking for in the past 3 years is like 2 weeks. Apart from the occasional bout of depression, I have no mood swings, it's just that I become forgetful, and it's difficult for me to see connections and shit.

>>18048998
ayy another engineering smoker. I never get high before my lectures because time stretches to infinity and I know for a fact that I cannot listen or pay attention for shit.
That is what I'm trying to find out now, whether I could go on living like this and lead a normal life. None of my friends smoke as much weed as I do, but then again, most of my classmates already failed a subject and they haven't smoked a joint in their life.
>>
>>18049014
Never really felt this, I always considered getting high a treat, though I did notice that if I smoke often, I become more and more inclined to "treat myself". I'm always more entertained by whatever I'm doing when I'm high, though that's pretty much it.
>>
>>18049090
Like I said, everyone's body chemistry is different so it doesn't affect everyone in the same way. If you feel it's not causing any problems for you, then continue on I guess.
>>
>>18049018
Well It's the same for me, even my classmates aren't failing. They don't go out so they are always working on the projects we have to do when not gaming. But I think I have a harder time because they don't have a girlfriend rather than not smoking weed
She's borderline and take a lot of time. Weed calm her down, another reason why I'm not going to stop.
But I really try to moderate myself. Else I could easily smoke all the day
>>
>>18049098
Yeah, same here, moderation is key. I let myself drift a little during breaks, but I can't during a semester. The "Why not roll a joint?" feel becomes overpowering, and I'll start losing focus.
>>
File: 1481404143437.jpg (39KB, 460x428px) Image search: [Google]
1481404143437.jpg
39KB, 460x428px
>>18048935
dont smoke weed
only fucking retard degenerates do that
its bad for you
stop it.
>>
Not an engineer, but I'm 21, in college and ive been smoking for about 2 years now. I find that the effects of weed aren't really a terrible thing for me, if I smoke, it will be on the weekends, I don't do it daily, but I also have ADHD, so I feel like it kinda calms me down enough to pay attention 100% in class, but I don't think I'm good at retaining information while in that mind state.

Currently I've been off it for 2 months, and my head feels clearer without it, but simultaneously, I'm more easily distracted. I've tried smoking before class, and being high in class is shitty.
>>
>>18049252
haha fuck off
>>
>>18049273
So do you prefer smoking or not smoking? How do you feel you function better?
>>
>>18048935
It literally destroys your brain cells. Quit now while you still have some left.
>>
>>18048935

I have ditched weed as my main and turned to sixpacks of beer isntead, because you are more impaired in your brain after smoking, you loose a lot of drive and initiative and you stop laughing and having fun after the first couple of honeymoon-weedyears

Also, I have seen a good friend go down the thc-pit and stay there for 10-years so far and it really hurts me to see how his life, motivation and decision-making is so badly affected. He is also noticeably less intelligent and articulated than he was when we first came upon each other
>>
>>18049294
Can't into alcohol, never really liked the taste. I drink like once a month or so but even then it's because I'm in uni and there's no way to socialize otherwise. Don't even really like being drunk.

Ah yes, I've got friends who are too far gone to help now. That's why I'm trying to keep in moderation.
>>
>>18048935
Makes me too lazy and groggy/tired the next day. I'm in school plus a full time job and I work out every day and have a gf. I have no time for weed and just drink way too much caffeine.
>>
>>18049284
I have a preference for not smoking. When I'm not smoking I feel that I'm quicker to react, more articulate, I can retain information for longer, I can recall information and memories easier, I speak with "higher level" vocabulary.

That being said smoking feels good and eases my adhd, so I may be calmer when I'm on weed and more relaxed overall, which is nice sometimes, but I don't think it's great to do all the time
>>
>>18049318
This, I worked selling when I was smoking on and off. And days after my bong rips for jesus my speaking was impaired. I'm normally very quick witted and articulate but I get tongue tied when I've been smoking. My friend is the same way. He fucks up words all the time when speaking. We're both smart and read a lot though.
>>
I'm a musician, and I feel like I need weed sometimes because some days I just really dont feel like practicing, then I'll smoke weed and the first thing I want to do is make music.

I dont think weed makes you any more creative, but it amplifies your senses making things more enjoyable/immersive, and I have no idea why nobody talks about that, whenever they write articles on weed and creativity they always say some bullshit like "Yeah weed puts dopamine in your brain, yo!" like no shit but what else. Fuck journalists
>>
>>18049322
>>18049318
Yeah, I've been told that for those who know me, it's pretty easy to notice when I'm high, because my speech slows down and I become less articulate. That seems to stop when I sleep it off, though.
On the other hand, my memory and general perception gets fucked sometimes. I forget things, and I'm also less attentive to details. Today, I had a class in the morning, and I went to a completely different class accidentally, even though I've been going there for a while now. I'd always check before I left home, but this time it didn't even occur to me that I could be wrong.
>>
>be me
>pro gaming prospect
>literally great at CS1.6
>know all the maps, all the spots, everything you could think of about the game
>perform well, do tournaments and win some prizes

>be 15 years later
>playing rainbow six siege
>smoke weed erry day
>don't know maps for shit
>barely squeeze out wins against casuals
>always get confused on which direction I should go for best flanks and counters
>literally borderline trash at the game

And if I play it again tomorrow, I still wont know where the fuck to go or do half the shit because I smoke weed when I game and don't pay attention anymore.
>>
>>18049318
i've been smoking weed everyday for a few years.

my short term memory, articulation, language skills, etc is fucked, but I took a test for melodic/rhythmic memory and my shit was at like 90th percentile

so my mentality is like fuck short term/verbal memory, I got dope melodies
>>
>>18049287
Yeah grab a beer instead
>>
>>18049350
https://healthimpactnews.com/2016/medical-cannabis-is-healing-autism/
>>
>>18049357
>>18049350

Do you regret smoking all those years?
Also, apparently the damage to your memory and cognitive abilities isn't permanent, if you stopped smoking for like a month, it'd all come back apparently.
But fuck not smoking for a month.
>>
>>18049366
nah, I dont really miss it because my main profession doesn't include paying autistic attention to details and being able to articulate myself to come across as intelligent

if I was an engineer, surgeon, professional gamer, lawyer, whatever, then I think I'd have a problem
>>
>>18049366
Nah, not at all. I do forsee myself quitting once I start on my CDL path in the next year or two. But, to be honest I wouldn't even consider it, if it wasn't going to directly conflict with my job by simply being in my system.
>>
I think you should give all of your weed to ur friend
>>
>>18049377
in Canada they dont even drug test u at jobs
>>
>>18049387
I mean, I smoke weed now and clear 30k a year.. But, when I pursue my CDL, I'll need to be clean as a whistle until I'm an owner operator, and then I could probably get away with doing it at my leisure.
>>
>>18048935
PotAnon here
Been smoking weed since i was 16, am 21 now and still smoke excessively.
Have ADD and am on prosacs, I started smoking to avoid stress because .. highschool .
So yea its affected me both negatively and positively. It helps as relief from depression, stress, etc.
Downside is you incorporate it so much into ur life it becomes a priority. but each to his own i guess
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.