[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beta fish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4230.jpg (113KB, 640x629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4230.jpg
113KB, 640x629px
Does anyone know anything about beta fish? I've had mine a little over a year. He was a Christmas gift last year. He's been really chill since we got him, but in the last week has really lost it. He is trying to jump the bowl, but it's covered and he can't. We haven't changed anything about his water or feeding habits, and just want to make sure he's comfortable. Are we close to the end? Pic related...it's him.
>>
>>18047526
Your fish might be bored. Try getting some different fish accessories for the bowl. They get suicidal when they are bored.
>>
Often Bettas jump simply because they can but it may also be a sign that your water quality isn’t what it needs to be. If you have a jumper follow up with the usual water tests. Check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Rather then jumping some bettas will hoist themselves on top of a leaf or other floating decoration. If you notice this behavior double check your water parameters to rule out poor water quality as the culprit. Often the reason is benign but it’s best to know for certain if your Betta is trying to tell you something.
>>
Imagine someone stuck you in a dixie cup full of air, then stuck that cup at the bottom of the ocean. How happy would you be?

>dude expects an exotic fighting fish to live in a goldfish bowl
>>
>>18047526
In the wild they jump from water source to water source. They typically do this when they're not happy in there current home. Contrary to popular belief, a Betta fish needs a minimum of 10 gallons, filter and LIVE plants, moss balls. Proper aquarium gravel and places to hide.
>>
>>18047709
Also, they like warm water, 76 to 80 degrees is ideal for them.
>>
>>18047694
For the last year he's just had rocks and been fine....should we get him a plamt? I worry it will just give him something to jump off of?
>>
>>18047696
We use spring water...the same water we have always used. I really don't want to get into testing his water because frankly it sounds like too much work. Nothing has changed about his water.
>>
>>18047721
It shouldnt matter. The bowl should be covered anyways.
>>
>>18047701
I like to view it as having saved him from another home...he never knew what it was like in the wild....
>>
>>18047721
Yes, get him a plant. Silk plants are the best! The other advice is good, too. A lot of people aren't aware that betta fish need giant tanks of water, but you might already know because you seem like a responsible fish owner.
>>
>>18047709
This is not feasible, and he has been happy in a small bowl for the last year...
>>
>>18047716
My air temp is about 74 and has not changed for the last year...I'm assuming his water temp is about the same?
>>
>>18047736
How big? The last beta I kept in a big bowl jumped about 3 months in....this one has seemed very happy in a small bowl for the last year...the jumping is new in the last few days...I'm just worried we are close to the end.
>>
>>18047721
I've had mine for 5 years. He has all the things I mentioned. I also switch up his food between the betta pellets and dried blood worms. You can get marimo moss balls from pet stores or even online. They should be about $9 for 3 of them. They help with water quality, low maintenance and give live for 100's of years and don't require much light, if taken cared of properly.

Another good plant are java ferns, again, grow easily and hardy.

The plants, moss balls should be at the bottom
>>
>>18047754
Thanks! Good advive...we just have a small bowl... will there be room? Also, we have only ever given him the beta pellets, will it shock him to give something else like the dried blood worms? I've given those in the past, but I've never had a beta live this long so I feel like what we are doing now is working?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.