[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dying parent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1397572762988.png (19KB, 286x256px) Image search: [Google]
1397572762988.png
19KB, 286x256px
Any advice for dealing with a dying parent? My parents are all I have. We've always had a great relationship but my dad isn't doing too well these days.
>>
>>18047280
Ask him what he wants you to know. If I was a dying father I'd be glad my kid asked that.
>>
>>18047280
Ask little questions everyday and write them down, stuff about his childhood, his family etc. just tiny little questions like "What was your favourite icecream growing up?" Can mean all the world when someone is gone
>>
>>18047280
My mom is at mayo clinic for a prolonged stay. MS related kidney growth that keeps coming back that doctors here couldn't seem to diagnose. She very well could die because last I heard she went septic.
I'm reflecting on my fears. I'm asking what things I couldn't possibly stand about her dying. My conclusion is that she's the only person I will ever know who will love me as much as she does, and that fucking kills me because I can't ever thank her enough. I can never give her the appreciation I feel like she deserves both because of my own mental blocks and because she wouldn't accept it. I want her to live forever and be the pedestalized superhuman I thought she was when I was little, but she can't be, and I guess to some degree I feel at fault. I've deluded myself into thinking that her raising me drained her of her superhuman abilities.
>>
>>18047307
Septic means she almost certainly will die, and in a few days

I hope you're going to see her before this happens

Sorry anon iktf
>>
>>18047309
I don't think I could deal with seeing her in person, but we facetime every morning
>>
Really sorry to hear this anon. I'm going through an incredibly slow loss of my mother due to FTD, but what I can say is to make sure you always say "I love you" and "Thanks", even if they can't hear you. For the parent that is around, make sure you also say that. I wrote out a list of memories I had with both my parents based on a kids book call "What I love About My Dad". It's fucking gay sounding, but I got drunk and just started filling it out and gave them both a copy (not that my mom could read or really understand her's). My dad liked seeing the memories I had with her that he couldn't have possibly known about.

As things get shittier and shittier, until the end, the best thing I can tell you to do is to help cook. Food is comforting, and instead of getting constant flowers or gifts, ask for a donation via omaha steaks or a pre-prepped meal plan. My father lost his brother very unexpectedly a month ago, and I sent him a meal for 4 so that he'd have leftovers. He really, really appreciated not having to think about meals or go out to get something.

Remember: It's not your fault this is happening. It's just not, and carrying around guilt will only hinder your relationships. Best wishes, my friend.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.