[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To the religious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 7632304_2.png (36KB, 173x247px) Image search: [Google]
7632304_2.png
36KB, 173x247px
I don't mean any harm in asking this, but when you're reading the Bible and you come across something that doesn't make sense, or you personally believe is downright wrong, how do you feel?

How do you resolve the disparity between the belief that the Bible perfect, God's word given form, and the reality that there are some real problems with some of the content?
>>
I'm not even religious and I can answer that.
>>
>>18045649
if there is god how do they speak or write and says nothing about who is translating it. also on whose authority is it corroborated perfect, sounds like fake news to me
>>
I've never come across anything wrong in the Bible. I think if you go out looking for problems in anything you will find them.
>>
>>18045649
The religious would say "There must be a meaning here that I am too stupid or unenlightened to understand, so I will accept it even though it makes no sense."

The rest of us would say "Since this is a book of myths intended to (and still of some use as) teaching moral lessons, this section must be teaching a lesson that was relevant 3000 years ago and just of no use to us today"
>>
Here's an analogous example.
This morning I was reading a textbook that explained the neuronal firing patterns in rods and cones inside the human eyes. This process is counter to what would be expected if you've ever studied cell physiology or neuron activity at any depth before. So there I was, looking at something that didn't make sense, was counter-intuitive, and went against the beliefs I had established to be true in regard to the function of neurons in human and the efficiency that's found throughout other cellular systems.
Like a reasonable adult with an IQ above mentally impaired, I synthesized what I read in the book with my current understanding to create a more full picture of the world.
It was not an issue on the part of the book, it was an issue on my part in regard to the relation of one truth to another.

Similarly, when I read my Bible, I synthesize what it says with my current understanding and find what works and what does it, and account for the rest through thought, research, and reinterpretation.

This is a well established Catholic concept that "truth does not contradict truth" and led to the entire field of hermeneutics.
>>
>>18045649
The bible was written thousands of years ago and was translated multiple times.
>>
>>18045649
Being religious doesn't mean you take scripture as perfect exact words of God, you'll find most believers realize that it could have been changed many times in translation and what matters most are the core messages rather than the minute details of ancient Jewish desert law.
>>
>>18045649
>belief that the Bible perfect, God's word given form
That's just an evangelical dogma. e.g. Catholics don't believe this.
>>
I'm not religious, though I'm getting interested in religion and mythology, and the pragmatic view of them.

Scientific fact as we know it is a process, rather than a platonic truth. The problem of induction is ever looming above everything we know. Newtonian physics (or just physics at the time) were pretty much solved, aside from weird constant speed of light, until Einstein showed up with his general relativity, and have vastly expanded both what we knew, and what we were able to investigate. Newtonian physics are still most useful, but only as a subset of GR.

Mythology is then the best guess of how to be, something you can't derive from 'what is', the domain of science.
Characterisation of phenomena (lightning seen as wrath of god, bad luck seen as divine trials which can either ruin you or make you strong) are a way to navigate the infinitely complex world using our hard-wired social circuitry. People from all walks of life, each having a minuscule grasp of how and why things happen, share and consume stories, find similarities, and make metastories. Transcendent narratives are necessarily fantastical to be applicable to the widest possible number of real situations. When they clash with current reality, they stop being interesting, 'profound', if you will, and become more of a historical curiosity.

So, it always makes some sort of sense.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.