[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I self teach programming until I become proffesional?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: latest.png (75KB, 229x350px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
75KB, 229x350px
I am an 18 year old who has self-taught programming for about 2 years give or take a few months but I've reached what is somewhere between a beginner and intermediate level in programming. I can make simple email clients, games with LibGDX, and just random shit in general, but as soon as I go freelancing and look at the project listings I feel fucking retarded and hide back in my hole. I train up again for a few months and I made an image editor without using stack overflow once. And once again I go on a freelance site and feel like a fucking idiot. What do I do guys, am I cut out for this?

Pic related : its me.
>>
You're comparing yourself to people with 15 years of experience. Try getting a studio job first to get some experience.
>>
Current CompSci student.

I suggest downloading PDF's of languages like C++ and doing everything in the book. You don't need a teacher for this at all. After you know a few languages or know one really well, try freelancing again so you can get some real experience.
>>
>>18044027
Alright I will see about the pirated books, but I don't think I'll be able to land a job without a degree or a pleasant github profile (Which is currently empty). I do appreciate the help, thank you!
>>
So you don't like that there are some projects too hard for you? Easy - improve. How much experience do you have working for a company? Since you are 18 years old not much I guess. Anyway, apart from that: be very careful with how you write your code and what guidelines you follow. Self programming is okay however the lack of evaluation of one's own code and structures can make you think you are a good programmer when you truly aren't. Having an open mind as a self teaching programmer is necessary.
Whenever solving a problem, writing code should be the last thing you should do. Figuring the logical steps and the nature of the problem is prior to even opening a text editor. Also remember that using efficient methods is key to being a good programmer.
Just never ever stop learning and always have an open mind
>>
Buy a physical copy of Bjarne Stroustrup's Principles and Practice Using C++

It will teach you how to code well, in addition to teaching you the most versatile programming language. Self-teaching yourself C++ is very hard, but very rewarding. Just be patient and keep at it.
>>
if you can write an image editor and an email client you should be able to get work no problem.

i mean you can get a job with just some html,css,javascript for gods sake.

maybe work on your social/interview skills and portfolio , don't think your programming skill is the problem
>>
Why is your github empty, commit some things.
>>
I suppose not being Open Minded is holding me back quite a bit. I tend to stick to certain patterns and solve problems in only my comfort zone. I will however have a look at learning a smaller language such as JavaScript to see if the requirements for those jobs are smaller. It could very well be that projects on object oriented languages are just generally bigger and harder to improve on without tackling it head-on and failing. Thanks guys for the continuous help, I will see about expanding my patterns anr exploring new languages.
>>
>>18044330
I don't exactly feel comfortable committing anything other than documentation. Since I have no proper education and all the code style guidlines I have read are absolutely different, then I feel absolutely intrusive with their work. Usually my best shot is trying to mimick their code style but I quickly fall out of character.
>>
>>18044340
>I don't exactly feel comfortable committing anything other than documentation.
Then how can you expect anyone else to give a shit?
>>
>>18044345
Give a shit about what exactly?
>>
>>18044340
Also sorry for my fucked up english. Using a phone.
>>
>>18044334
>I tend to stick to certain patterns and solve problems in only my comfort zone.

This is a major problem. You need to learn how to adapt because companies expect you to do things their way.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.