[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think my cat is grieving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: sgfsafd.gif (365KB, 250x171px) Image search: [Google]
sgfsafd.gif
365KB, 250x171px
We had a 16 and a half year old dog who passed about 2 months ago. He was around my cat's entire life, and though they weren't particularly close, I'm sure it's still a change.
Ever since he died, my cat's been misbehaving. He's peeing outside the litterbox and yowling mostly. He's lost some weight, though we believe that's just because the dog would free eat while we had to put the cat on a schedule or else he'd just eat himself to death. He would usually eat the dog food at night while we were't watching, but now that the dog's gone he's only been eating what he's supposed to.

Idk what to do, if he really is acting up because the dog's gone, or what his problem is if not. We tried getting him another litter box to help with the peeing, he's still going in other places though. Hell, I caught the lil shit trying to piss in the pantry and as soon as I walked up to him, he walked over near his box, but not before sniffing around the duffel bags on the floor until I shooed him off from there too. Then he finally pissed in the box.
Idk what to do about his crying though.

Do we just wait this out, same as any other grieving process?
>>
One of our cats passed away 2 years ago and our other cat stopped eating a bit and went out a lot and seemed to look around for the cat that had died. It eventually went back to normal behavior. I'd say just give it love, pet it and things like that. Show some love. Your cat should go back to normal behavior too. If it persists, I'd seek out some professional advice.
>>
>>18043119
Alright, I was thinking that if it is grief he'll probably go through the process like any human would, but he just doesn't have the capability to talk it out like we do.

I feel real bad for him, it's been the absolute worst timing. We're getting ready to move halfway across the country. So the peeing thing is kinda killing our chances at selling the house lol. But damn, it was already gonna be hard on him moving to a new place, and he's got this on top of it all.
I think we're gonna take him to the vet tomorrow to make sure it's nothing physical.
>>
>>18043088
He may have a urinary infection. Check to see if any of his pee spots are brownish/red
>>
>>18043173
Nah, they're all normal looking. His pee has always been the most pungent piss you'd ever smell lol, but it's all normal colored.
>>
>>18043181
Doesn't matter these are signs of infection. Please take to the vet as soon as you can.
>>
>>18043088
This is maybe an extreme solution, but would you consider another pet? I got a new cat about a month after my old cat died because my dog went into a depression and I couldn't take it.

I don't know that I was really ready for it, but it did help my dog immensely.
>>
>>18043194
Yeah, we're taking him tomorrow. He's been long overdue for a visit anyway.
>>18043218
I would be all for it, I really miss having a dog around, but this is technically my sister's cat, which lives with my parents.
The dog was like, my mom's 3rd baby. His death was really hard on all of us, but it really devastated my mom. She's kind of still in the mindset of "I never want another pet ever again because of how painful this was".
I understand, it was much worse because we had to put him down, he didn't just pass on his own. It was really traumatizing and none of us had ever had to do that before. My mom lost many pets, but growing up on a farm in the 60's-70s meant most of her pets just wandered off into the woods to die when they were ready, or just ran off all together.

I don't think she'll go the rest of her life without a pet, especially since my sister's graduated and probably going to be moving out soon with a real job of her own to start her life, and I'll be graduating in a year or so to do the same thing. She's a real mamabird, with an empty nest she's gonna need something to preoccupy her, something to mother lol. But right now, I don't see her getting another pet. Especially with the move coming up next year. I think at the very least they'll be waiting until they get settled in the new state before they consider getting another dog (or 2, if my dad gets his way).
I think everyone else is ready for another pet but my mom lol.
>>
On that note, I know I read somewhere that since animals are often very perceptive of their owners, one of the best things you can do for a grieving cat is to get through the grieving process yourself.
Not that I wanna blame my mom or anything, but maybe it's possible her bad energy is affecting the cat? He seems to be most attached to her anyway. She's the one he sleeps with every night. Though, he used to sleep with her and the dog, side by side.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.