[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My girlfriend doesn't like the fact that I take prescription

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1486869997309.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1486869997309.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
My girlfriend doesn't like the fact that I take prescription medications. She tolerates it but doesn't understand why I'm on anti-psychotics - she just thinks that if I exercise more and eat better that I'll magically be cured.

How do I explain to her that I need these medications to function in everyday society? I have tried just saying that, but she is extremely neurotypical.

I really don't want anons in here telling me to just get off "The Pharmaceutical Jew". I tried that once and I didn't eat for two weeks as punishment for having a period that I thought was the miscarriage of a divine being.
>>
>>18041894
try to make her talk with your parent about it or anyone that witnessed you when you where off your meds
>>
>>18041905

What do you mean
>>
>>18041894
Tell her to get off her high horse.
>>
>being on the pharmaceutical jew
>>
>>18042007

Topkek m'lady back to /pol/ with ye.

>>18042004
I don't think this will accomplish my goals
>>
>>18041894
Your girlfriend sounds like she's not supportive and not trying to understand what your struggle is at all. It sounds like you've already talked about how your meds benefit you personally, maybe showing her scientific, peer reviewed studies that show how anti-psychotics are beneficial in general for those of us who need them. If showing these doesn't seem to help, sadly, it sounds like you need let this person go.
>>
>>18042130
This. Your health comes first OP, if your gf doesn't understand this is for your own good, you should consider breaking up.
>>
>>18041990
Your parent/friends surely noticed improvement since you're on meds
If your girlfriend talk with them about it she wi surely understand
>>
Explain to her the difference between depression and what you have. She probably has heard a lot of people talk about doing what she's suggesting for some cases of depression and doesn't understand other mental illnesses.
>>
>>18041894
Stop taking your meds and let her see with her own eyes kek
>>
>>18042178
Not op. Fuck you. It's not funny to just tell someone to not take their meds when it's something they need to keep them healthy and functional.
>>
>>18042182
>Post a Reply
Seriously this. Don't quit taking your medicine you and your Drs KNOW you need to be on, just bc your girlfriend "believes" sunshine and walks are the magical unicorn fart fairy dust cure.

Yes, exercise is important, but if that was really all it took, I'd be the happy-go-luckiest singing smiling motherfucker tap dancing my way through life. Talking, throwing glitter in the air and being like I just entered fucking Toon Town.

Everyone is different, and you, like me, NEED the medicine much the same way we need air just to function at a basic normal level. And that's okay because the important thing is that's what works for you.

I get so angry when people dismiss the importance of medicine based on anecdotal evidence, instead of considering the individual's case. Personally I have no time or patience dealing with people like that. Be firm and polite about all the stances and points you need to make, one way or another, just don't allow anyone to convince you to stop doing what allows you to function line a proper human being. Especially not someone you love. Gl anon.
>>
>>18041894
Are you currently seeing a therapist? Is it it possible to take her to your next session and have them explain to her exactly what is wrong?
>>
fuck. not eating as punishment for having the miscarriage of a divine being is like super poetic. i dont mean to undermine the seriousness of your topic but that is super creative of your mind. do you write poetry or even carry a journal? i would read it
>>
>She tolerates it but doesn't understand why I'm on anti-psychotics
I think one of the problems is people don't quite get it when their experiences have been relatively straightforward. They think a can do attitude can resolve most of those issues. For most problems, that's pretty much true.

But for other stuff like schitzophrenia or PTSD or other shit, it's not as simple as that. For instance I never understood how badly a friends child abuse affected her, until I actually saw her have a mental breakdown stemming from that. So when that anon said you should stop taking your meds so she can see what it's like, there's a slight grain of truth to it. Basically I don't think she's going to back off until she actually sees you experience one of your episodes. Obviously I would not encourage you to do that, so I think this is something that may potentially lead to a breakup.
>>
>>18041894
Bro seriously dump her ass. You can find someone who understands your illness.
>>
>>18041894
Sounds like she has the mental illness called stupidity. If she doesn't understand what you're fighting you should dump her op
>>
Wtf? Why are you dating this dumb bitch??

I would LOVE for her to tell someone with a broken femur to just change their diet and do exercise. Or someone with multiple sclerosis. Or even someone who needs a wheelchair for mobility for their entire life.

Does she tell people with herpes and gonorrhea to change their diet and exercise? She needs to understand that some diseases arent cured through lifestyle changes. Some diseases arent even curable. Invisible diseases are the same as visible ones.

Lol OH MAN i would die of laughter if i saw her say that to someone with fibromyalgia. I wish i could witness it dude

Tell her these examples and maybe she will understand.
>>
>>18041894
Tell her that mental illness is as bad as any other and you NEED the medication to be the person she fell in love with.

Or you can fake not taking the meds and pretend to lose your shit, so she can get a bit scared.
>>
>>18042781
>>18042534
>>18042257
>>18042239
I'm not op. Im encouraged seeing quite a few people be positive advocates. Breaking the stigma and ignorance about mental illness/mood disorders is hugely important to me. These anons are right, OP. YOUR HEALTH COMES FIRST.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.