[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joining the Navy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: fuuuuttttttuuurrreeeee.jpg (37KB, 480x378px) Image search: [Google]
fuuuuttttttuuurrreeeee.jpg
37KB, 480x378px
Any military anons feel free to give any and all advice you have.

Anyways, I'm 22 with a stem degee that I don't care for and no jobs in a shitty rural community. After neeting it up I figure military would be best. I landed on navy because I know they have a lot more technical opportunity and it seems the most interesting.

My only problems are that I'm obese af 5'10" 220llbs and my mental health has degraded to /r9k/ tier. I also have no idea where to start, who to talk to, or any of that.

Any and all advice pertaining to any of this would be great.
>>
>stem degree
If your gpa was above a 3.0, be a pilot
>>
>>18041498
That sounds great but my vision is shit
>glasses life
>>
you know you can move, right?
>>
>>18041602
>need money to move
>need job to get money
>need to move to get job
>...

Believe me I've done everything. Was seasonal until jan but made hardly anything and student loans ate some of that up.
>>
>>18041459
join the merchant marines, no physical or medical per say, just have a dr sign off the papers to send to Coast guard.. i was making $300a day and worked 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and it was union.
>>
>dat pic
fukken saved

locate nearest military recruitment office & contact those dudes to get official info & recommendations

perhaps do a search for military specific forums or fb groups or similar to get the unofficial shit the recruiters can't or won't tell you

given the termite infestation that was the previous administration, the intention of the new administration to restore and rebuild, and Gen Mattis at the helm for the uncuckening, current outlook seems pretty damn good if you've the desire to enlist
>get confirmation on this, ffs do not take my word for it, am not militaryfag, father was businessman, am giving unqualified outside opinion here

am also femanon. point of mentioning is to reinforce above greentext as well as to address the /r9k/ thing: that mindset isn't exactly healthy. it isn't exactly unjustified either though. find a balance you can live with, adjust as needed, try to bear in mind that the tendency for idiocy to be loud can make it seem like it's everywhere when it's not

naval branch is best branch
>>
>>18041598
Be a chair force analyst then
>>
>>18041634
The commitment isn't as big of an issue for me, in fact I wouldn't mind being gone for a while. It would give me some peace being away from my toxic hometown. Plus I'd have help with the student loans.

>>18041717
Can i contact a recruiter when I'm this out of shape? I figured I would do that after I got in shape (and got some more cobfidence in myself).

A lot of people discouraged me because
>oh no trump and wwIII DDD: you're gonna die anon!
But I figure if wwIII starts I'd rather die fighting than sitting on my ass waiting for life to happen.

>>18041727
Why air force over navy?
>>
I live in San Diego and went to community college with many former marines/navy men. I asked for their opinions on joining many times, and many of them told me either a resounding 'no' or continue with college, and least 'try to go in as an officer'. One guy told me that life on a navy boat is so incredibly boring that it nearly drove him insane. He said he would just fold his clothes, unfold them, and try to fold them quicker - making a game out of it, like people doing speed runs of games. Went on to say, that the only highlights were docking at a city, which only happens every 3 months btw, in S.E. Asia and going on some mad tear for 48 hrs. I met one marine that legit had PTSD and told me he didn't want to talk about it. Guy looked like he had screws loose. I dunno wtf he saw. Maybe people getting blown up by IEDs.

Most of the conclusions were the same. That it really sucks, the pay is like minimum wage or just about, and the only positives were getting a perspective on life that most Americans will never have, getting free college, and developing a solid work ethic.

So yeah, all I have is third-hand accounts. The thing is, you have the BA. So you have the opportunity to get into officer school. So maybe that's game-changer. It will suck less for you than the enlisted folks I talked to.
>>
>>18041751
>Why air force over navy?
The consensus is, the air force is the most civilian like branch, with the least likelihood of getting put into a meat grinder situation. They tend to be the brainy branch of the military, with more selectivity than the others. Finally, being on a navy boat really sucks. Again third-hand accounts, but they also tell me it really stinks (literally) and the food is bad. So this goes back wanting to retain a bit of civilian life. In the chair force, you're most likely gonna be Stateside most of the time. You might be moved around, but that's nothing to complain about. You can ride into town, do normal civie stuff, scoop up a bar wench, maybe even make a relationship work etc.
>>
Let me join your thread OP, I've never had a gf, I'm not a bitch or anything I don't cry about it, and to be honest I don't even try at this point, all I do is go to hookers, but I'm losing the fun of it. Right now I'm 26 and torn between trying to find a girl and maybe start a family, or join the marines or some shit and let all my pent up frustration and sadness out.

Also navy is complete shit, marines are the most fun and get the most action.
>>
>>18041751
alot of the guys on the tugboat where divorced or had trouble at home, alot would opt to stay beyond the 2 weeks, some guys stay a month on, month off.
>>
>>18041771
I don't except it to be the greatest thing ever, but it will sure as hell beat doing retail for years. I definitely want to try being an officer, but again I'm turbo autismo (not really bad just insecure and embaressed of my life). Most of that comes from me being a grown ass man who lives with his parents so I figure eliminating that will help.

>>18041780
If I have a stem degree though won't I still be able to go into naval engineering or some shit? I'm good at learning (3.7 in uni) and figure the enlisting would help set me on a path while also giving me a ton of opportunities I wouldn't have had otherwise.

>>18041780
This does seem more comfortable, but part of why I chose the navy is because I can just get away from it all while getting paid. Everyone I lnow my age is in the same boat (ha) as me :unemployed/retail, debt, living with parents. There's no going out because we're spread out over the state and trying to spend as little as possible.

I'm not saying that spending a whole day doing nothing at mom and dad's is the same as working on a naval ship. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't mind the sacrifice if it will get me somewhere later, even if it's years from now.
>>
>>18041853
If you have a 3.7 and a STEM degree, then why are you putting the military at the top of the list? You're literally way above average. Can't you apply for a tech job and get offers in a place that's not rural?
>>
>>18041878
I've tried. There's so many applicants that nobody cares about out of city applicants with no car, let alone out of state. That's just the way the market is. I haven't even gotten a call back for months.

Believe me this isn't my dream or my first choice, but I'd rather use this to get somewhere better than do nothing for another year.
>>
File: 4Chan.jpg (41KB, 552x561px) Image search: [Google]
4Chan.jpg
41KB, 552x561px
Bump
>>
>>18041459
>starwars
>the future

It literally happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
>>
>>18042170
Thanks for bumping my thread, illiterate!
>>
/k/ has their own enlistment thread. Definitely seek them out. But if you want an honest opinion, if you didn't think about it before or even take measures for future service don't bother. Also, you could be disqualified from service for medications or injuries you have received recently.

Just take advantage of the degree you have now and be blessed for what you have.
>>
>>18042211
How do I take advantage of my degree? I have no experience and am not "qualified" to do anything.

My only other option is to go back to school or become a teacher, which still requires me to go back to school

I'm not going to get further in debt to dick around at some bullshit college so I can MAYBE get a job.
>>
Almost 4am bump
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.