[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anxiety crippling me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: anxiety-title-image_tcm7-187843.jpg (82KB, 730x330px) Image search: [Google]
anxiety-title-image_tcm7-187843.jpg
82KB, 730x330px
I can't take any form of transportation that I can't control. I've gotten a lot better, I can take short car rides (under 10 minutes) and I'll usually be ok. Anything over 50 I get nervous. I can't take most of the university buses because I'm worried they'll crash. I can't take a train because I'm worried it will crash. I've disappointed my girlfriend because I gave her train tickets to have a day in the city with her but my anxiety is too bad right now to go with her.

I just had an appointment with the doctor at my university's health center moved to a campus that was farther away. I missed the appointment because I couldn't get on the fucking bus to get there (about 10 minute drive but it goes straight on the highway to the furthest possible campus). I felt like I was having palpitations because I was going to force myself on the bus. I couldn't do it.

How can I stop letting my fear of losing control/dying ruin my life? I've been in a car accident before but I was driving (someone T boned me). I'm so disappointed in myself and upset that I set up an appointment for counseling on monday.
>>
shameless self bump because I seriously need advice.
>>
>>18037986
It's good that you got that counseling appointment, you need it.
They'll have at least some advice since they've seen plenty of people in your situation before.

Also, you can walk to various places if you need to.
I don't have a car since I can't safely drive, so i have to walk anywhere that the buses don't go. It works.
An hour-long walk is a pain in the ass but it's better than nothing.

Also, did the anxiety start before or after the car accident?
>>
>>18037986
Learn to not care.

>inb4 you don't understand
I do. (yes, i'm spinning this around to make it about myself) I have a fear of walking outside when people are around. I just hate being looked at by strangers. I can manage face to face conversations with people without the slightest issue but I hate walking outside or being anywhere where I can be looked at. Whenever I go back inside where I'm not being looked at my anxiety goes away. The weirdest part about it though is the longer I stay outside the less anxious I get.

What I'm trying to say is that the best medicine for anxiety is facing it head on. I'm not sure how 'facing it head on' would apply to your situation but you'll figure it out. This was probably terrible advice but whatever.
>>
This sounds like agoraphobia forming and you really should get to a doctor before it gets worse.

t. OCD sufferer who let his compulsions get way out of hand before seeking treatment.
>>
>>18037986
counseling or what >>18038113 said.

Counselors will only tell you the same thing. Essentially learn to not give a fuck. easier said than done i guess
>>
If you don't take meds for anxiety, I would say definitely go talk to a doctor about it. Don't be afraid to tell them everything that bothers you.
>>
>>18038111
It started about a year later. My life is mostly me driving or walking. I can easily walk to my classes, and I do everyday. It's just the specific situations where I do have to be driven or take public transport have come up and it disappoints everyone including me. Like I know that there hasn't been an accident with these buses or trains and it's very highly not likely to kill me but I just can't do it.

>>18038113
This has helped a lot but I'm not able to get on anymore without severe heart-pounding.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.