[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reducing expectations.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1437369869558.png (869KB, 753x706px) Image search: [Google]
1437369869558.png
869KB, 753x706px
Or, in other words, how do I stop wanting what I want.

As it stands, I'm nearing 32. I've been a NEET for two years, not the proudest part of my life, followed by university education in a poorly chosen major and switching to one that actually had some potential. With the education over, I managed to land a tolerable entry-level job, get a bit higher... and that's where the troubles began.

I was too late. I hit a dead end. Many times now, I've been passed over when it came to advancement explicitly because of my age-to-experience ratio compared to others. I managed to deal for some time, but ultimately came to a simple realization.

I can't keep going like this.
At some point, I lost the ability to see my future as anything but a continuation of the mounting frustrations. I don't even want much out of my career. I'm not after a six figure salary or some bullshit like that - but I am after something I could be proud of. I can understand why people younger than me are the better choice on a logical level, but that doesn't help at all. More and more, the reasonable part is drowned out by the autistic screeching from the back of my brain, the part that demands more from life regardless of reality and calls the system unfair.

Well, I know it's not, not really. But unless I find a way to somehow be at peace with the fact I'll always be less than I'd be if I didn't fuck about and waste several years of my life, less than people who had more sense when they were 19 than I did even at 23, I'll go fucking crazy. It got to the point where it's self-perpetuating, because the stress is fucking with my job performance and making any advancement even less likely.

How do I get rid of ambition?
>>
File: an option.jpg (59KB, 960x852px) Image search: [Google]
an option.jpg
59KB, 960x852px
[spoiler]But seriously though, I have nothing beyond trying a different job, which I assume you already considered so.[/spoiler]
>>
It'll decline naturally with age and testosterone. Once you are out of puberty you are supposed to get shit done, fuck babies into bitches, achieve greatness, climb as high as you can or die trying. It is why suicide and stupid accidents kill so many men. By the time you hit 30 you start realising you are kind of done with that shit, you just want things comfy. Age 50 is the point where heart disease becomes the biggest killer of men instead of suicide for a reason because the ones who can't deal with it just choose to end it. Coming to terms with your falling potency, potential, youth and ambitions as you age and become irreverent and unimportant and invisible is just age, death, anxiety and the normal human condition shit.

Why not try another path? Clearly the job is dead end. You aren't that old either.
>>
>>18037725
I've looked into other jobs in the field, but I don't imagine the situation will be any different, not to mention getting them in the first place proves challenging due to the very same reasons which prevent advancement in the current one - they have applicants with just as much experience as I do, but younger. I can't move to take advantages of opening elsewhere either, too much tying me down and not enough funds. Anything outside the field would require additional training, which would just leave me even further behind - and starting something myself isn't an option since I have about as much business acumen as a rock.

As for natural decline - at the risk of sounding like a giant pussy, I don't think I'll last particularly long with the level of emotional draining going on. I can generally deal with fucking up, but being in this shit of a situation because my much younger self fucked up is just gnawing at me for some reason.
>>
>>18037745
I'm not sure if it helps, but I basically did a shit degree, got married to a shit wife, started a shit business and then couldn't make it work or deal with how boring and mediocre everything was. I ended up in a dead end retail job, divorced and living in a house share with another guy who was a passive aggressive dick hole.

I did this for about 6 years. Literally nothing going on ever except the same old shit and wondering when I finally need to shave my head because of my receding hairline.

I decided to move into a completely different industry with an entry level role. Like I was 33 and typically a 16 year old would do this kind of job. My positives were my degree, my relative maturity and experience, my car and strong work ethic. In the interview I basically said that I was going to eventually go insane in my current job and I needed the change and as a result while my age wasn't ideal, my commitment and desire to work hard and get on was basically life or death at this point.

Anyway, because I scrub up pretty well, have resources like a suit and a car it wasn't more than 2 months before my entry level job became management and my degree and other experience basically allowed me to rapidly move into a decent role within this industry. It is like I finally decided to get ambition, my first boss said that following the interview he was blown away by how ambition I came across as. I suppose it was my hideous desperation, but I also know I'm good, I'm sure you are good as well anon.

Like entry level roles, 16 year old people aren't typically very motivated. They don't like getting dirty, cold or hot, putting down their mobile phones, admitting when they fucked up, finishing their work and then using the remaining time to optimise the workstation so they can finish it even quicker the next time and go back to the boss and tell them that, tell them that you want something else to do, tell them that you want to be useful and improve the business.
>>
>>18037781
It does help, really. If nothing else, the reassurance that someone managed to get out of a similarly shit situation, and without some bullshit stroke of luck story for a change.

I guess part of my defeatism is, or was I guess, fearing coming off as too desperate. But then in the end, better that than staying quiet and letting myself burn out completely.

And yeah, I guess there's a positive side to the sheer determination that comes from 'it's this or I'm done for'. I didn't really stop to consider that there may be a way to present it as a good thing rather than someone who wasted a chunk of their life suddenly waking up and realizing they're SOL.

If nothing else, it gives me some hope. Thanks, man. I really appreciate it.
>>
>>18037796
I'd just try anon. Apply for other jobs. Interview and be yourself and try some brutal honesty. I mean, when you are talking about going crazy what do you have to lose? If you don't even try, you don't even know what you could actually do. Maybe you'll have your own bullshit lucky break story.

I find that we prefer the comfortable and familiar because it doesn't threaten us, but eventually we institutionalise ourselves to the point where we wake up wondering what happened to our youth. I don't want to get all fight club, while the familiarity of the dead end daily grind is kind of insidious, you likely have ambition, you just haven't been in touch with it for a while.

Like I took a massive pay cut changing industries. But it was a calculated risk, because while I was going to be poor again, I figured that within 2 years I'd be doing better in this new field rather than my old where I had hit a wall. Also I'd rather be slightly hungry and living cheap than well fed and constantly wondering if I'd eventually get so sick of my life that suicide seemed like a good idea.

I am lucky though because I don't have children or commitments like that, I can't give advice to people who actually have people dependent on them.
>>
what job? I mean there could be vastly different answers depending on this
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.