[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do depressed people stop eating by will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

How do some people not eat when they are depressed?
I have noticed that when I am depressed, I get bored and eat to distract.
However, today I had a traumatizing experience. I have noticed that in extreme panic where I can hardly breathe is when I really don't feel like eating. I feel so stressed out right now from it that I don't really feel like eating, just having water.
Like when I feel sad about being lonely I crave food. But when im freaking out about my life being threatened I feel so sick to my stomach that I cant even think about food.
How do I preserve this feeling of not having an appetite?
>>
>How do some people not eat when they are depressed?
It's not a conscious thing. Depression can cause overeating/binge eating or depression can cause a total loss of appetite. When I was fourteen or so I was regularly skipping 2/3 meals a day because I just didn't have any appetite, and what little I did have I was forcing myself to eat.

Some people who have depression only ever have it one way, some who have depression might experience both. It's better to learn to work through it in spite of your lack of hunger or excessive desire to binge eat than wish for the opposite end of the spectrum. Neither extreme is healthy and switching between both extremes isn't either.
>>
>>18036887
>How do some people not eat when they are depressed?
Hey. Anon who struggles with major depression here. When I'm really low depressed, I've got no desire or will to do anything. Eating, drinking water, hell even getting out of bed are simply not desired and seen as pointless to me.

> But when im freaking out about my life being threatened I feel so sick to my stomach that I cant even think about food.

This is a normal biological response humans have when feeling threatened. It's related to the fight or flight or freeze response. When feeling threatened, the body automatically focuses on more important things like, more oxygen conservation in shallow breathing, pupils dilating to see better, heart rate accelerates, etc. hunger rates pretty low when needing to get away from a threat. It's our natural survival instinct kicking in.

> How do I preserve this feeling of not having an appetite?

Are you trying to lose weight or something? To always be in this state of survival is not healthy for your body and would do extensive damage to it over time. Exercising, eating low sugar and low fat diet is what's helpful and healthy.
>>
>>18036887
Dunno ... I simply lost my appetite .. guess it went same way as my wish to exist. Smoked 60 cigarettes/day and drank gallons of coffee .. trying to eat made me nauseous and back to cigarettes/coffee .. lost 70 some pounds. Got on medication/shrink .. got it sorted and is still alive but in damaged condition mentally on some points. Like being here though .. also gained some of the weight back
>>
>>18037328
>Hey. Anon who struggles with major depression here. When I'm really low depressed, I've got no desire or will to do anything. Eating, drinking water, hell even getting out of bed are simply not desired and seen as pointless to me.

This I spent an entire weekend once without getting out of bed. Got back from work on Friday got in bed then stayed in bed until Monday morning. I had to get out of bed to piss a couple of times but that's it. didn't eat or drink.
>>
When I was depressed I just had no appetite. When I did get hungry, I was too lazy/unmotivated to get out of bed and get food anyway.
>>
>>18037546
This. I just didn't leave my bed unless if it was for going to the toilet. I stopped eating for days, only started again when my bones hurt too much from malnutrition. Sometimes thinking of having to eat because of the pain sickened me so much that I just took painkillers. I'm better now and eat one big meal a day, always in the evening, and it works for me. I've still kept the skill of living without food and use it whenever I gain wait until I'm down to a weight I'm okay with. That's pretty cool, but certainly not worth the depression that caused it in the first place.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.