[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I study something I know nothing about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: homielove.jpg (97KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
homielove.jpg
97KB, 500x600px
okay so
I feel like there are so many different things I'd like to study, but lately I have been thinking about programming and digital design. The ultimate dream would be to work on developing games, and I know it seems kind of far fetched as I have no contacts or experience, but it's always been one of the things I wanted to do.

Problem is I don't know 'anything' about programming or design at all and I feel like it's a field where people have been obsessing about it since they were like 7. I have had some inpunt in graphic design, but other than that I'm empty handed. I have always thought that it'd be a bad idea because I would already be so far behind, but then again; wouldn't things be kinda basic to begin with if I chose to study it?

I'm quite smart and my grades are above average, but I'm also aware that it could be tough to study/work with a profession that is so dominated by men.. Especially when this is something I know so little about as of right now (I know there are other girls, but there are so few of them actually choosing to do this). I don't know, I just don't want to be the typical "girl who obviously has no idea what she is doing and she things games are only fun and games", when it's a huge dream to work on creating games and such.

Where/what should I start to prepare myself for if I decide to apply for something like this?
>>
File: 9dsngfbns74ebtysbe.png (341KB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
9dsngfbns74ebtysbe.png
341KB, 600x336px
If you genuinely want to do it, do it.
Take some classes or look up some lessons online or whatever to get a feel and you should know pretty quick whether you want to do it.
And if you do, do it.
There are some people who have been doing it their whole lives.
There's a whole lot more that are fucking clueless.
All that matters is that you want to do it and you try.
>>
>>18033416
>The ultimate dream would be to work on developing games

i've been programming for a bit over 3 years, worked at some of the biggest software companies in my country, and can't even get my foot in the door with games.
>>
>>18033416
Just FYI, most game dev shops are basically white collar sweatshops. You'll get paid shit, you'll work too many hours, and you'll be stressed all the time.

Development is one of those fields where if you genuinely enjoy it you could enjoy it working on a video game or a startup's shitty back end or anywhere else. Try to think it through and figure out if you just want to develop games because you think it'll be fun (it won't) or if you're actually interested in being a developer.
>>
>>18033440
Yeah I feel like it's a lot about getting the right connections and knowing the right guys.. It's insanely competative! I also know that if I would study in a private school, they make sure you do get certain connections to get you started, but I'm not planning on private schools when it's free to study at UNI soo, I don't know how those connections would be made.
Thankfully I'm great with people, so that could be of help, haha.
>>
>>18033454
thankuu - I totally agree, I would have to know 100%. I do enjoy stress and working late hours and just perfectionizing work, and I'd rather work a lot with low pay and be happy than the other way around
I guess I'll need to look more into it, but thanks.
It wouldn't have to be developing games, I just see so many posibilites for creating helpful interactive 'games' outside of entertainment too, like educationwise and in nursing homes etc.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.