[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to play piano?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

whats the best way to learn how to play piano on your own?i bought a cheap one on a whim and i would like to learn to do something while im at home after work,there arent any teachers nearby
>>
learn scales
learn chords
improvise
learn music theory
learn patterns
learn how to read music sheets

et voila
>>
>>18032284
also train your ear with some software like earmaster pro
>>
>>18032284
It depends on how you want to play. If you want to be a real musician study as much theory as you can and practice. It might be boring at start but when ypu learn about music ypu get a different glimpse on it. The other option is to use Syntesia and practice until you can play that song you like. It is just practice and practice, but even if you can skip it it helps a lot to learn how music works before.
>>
depends on what your goal is. what made you buy that piano? you probably had a mental image of you playing on it. what was it? what were you playing and where?
>>
File: 1451611345348.gif (2MB, 269x321px) Image search: [Google]
1451611345348.gif
2MB, 269x321px
>>18032284
Depends on what you want to play but some general advice from someone who plays for over 15 years.

Learn to read sheet music. Playing from sheet music allows you to play things that you wouldn't just come up with thus extending your musical vocabulary and improving your technique fast. If you improvise without much vocabulary you will tend to repeat yourself a lot and use patterns you're comfortable with, playing with sheet music introduces you to new things.

Don't use sheet music exclusively, use your ears as well, try to play some songs by ear, find the melody, find the chords, try to play the solos. This trains your ears and also expands your vocabulary with new patterns.

Learn chords and scales (these are tied together because you build chords from scales so if you know scales, you can learn how to make the chords with couple simple rules). Very useful to know, helps you improvise/compose. Print out the scales and every time you practice warm up by playing one or two of them through the entire keyboard up and down slowly a couple times, first with each hand separately, then with both hands and switch stuff up like playing staccato, portamendo, playing in a syncopated rhythm, playing them together up half the keyboard then switching direction in left hand and going down 2 octaves with left and up with right and come back, there are lots of other ways to change it up. This is great warmup and improves your technique a lot.

I know you probably don't want to focus on classical music but I recommend learning some pieces (like, always be learning one classical piece alongside whatever else you want), it helps with technique, makes you play different stuff, if you focus on pop there's lots of repeating patterns among all the songs that it can cause you to stagnate. Especially Bach, take the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach and learn those, those are very beginner friendly.
>>
File: 1303006661728.jpg (85KB, 650x780px) Image search: [Google]
1303006661728.jpg
85KB, 650x780px
>>18032543
cont.

In genral for learning songs, PRACTICE SLOW. I can't stress this enoough. PRACTICE SLOW. Also keep the tempo, if you need to slow down during a song (or scale, this applies to the scale practice) that's a sign you're practicing too fast and you should slow down or making mistakes. I mean really slow down to an embarrassingly slow tempo, focus on precision and keeping the tempo. It helps a lot. Even (especially in fact) when the song is fast, your brain doesn't care about speed when you practice, it remembers the muscle movement, what the brain cares about though is mistakes, if you play fast you will make mistakes and if you practice fast you will learn those mistakes. Unlearning a mistake takes 5 times the efffort compared to learning shit right the first time around. If you practice slow you will be able to play fast even better.

A metronome is a great tool, it keeps your tempo, you should use it it helps you improve incredibly, but you will hate the fuck out of it.

Another thing is that you should play as often as possible. Frequency of sessions>length of sessions. So 30 minutes every day over a week beats 5 hours a day over 2 days. In fact you should keep your sessions anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours, 20 minutes is the minimum for your brain to start actually caring about storing shit and 3 hours as an upper limit forces you to use your time effectively instead of fucking around.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.