[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Differences between Christianity and Catholicism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1404.gif (45KB, 515x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1404.gif
45KB, 515x320px
Unsure if right board. I can take this to /x/ if need be.

But seriously. Let's say someone is born & raised Christian. But his girlfriend is Catholic. He's uneasy for reasons unknown, even going so far as to say they can't marry or tell his family she's not of the same religion.

So really, what's the difference? They both worship the same god
>>
>>18031504
Christianity is a religion based on the teachings of Jesus.
There are different divisions into Christianity - Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and Protestantism are the most relevant.
Most Christian americans are Protestants. When you say "raised Christian", you probably mean "raised Protestant".
Protestants and Catholics have different traditions and rituals, even if they both are based on the same text and worship the same God.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 224x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 224x1024px
>>18031504
Protestants go on a lot about Catholics being corrupted and doing bad things like idol worship, if he's in a strong believers family they might be unhappy with that.

Aside from that if you ask me Protestantism is a massive reeeeeeeeeeee from Luther that resonated through centuries.

But then there is also something called the narcissism of small differences in which people of similar but slightly different beliefs are harder on each other than people with widely diverging ideas. It's why Shiites and Sunnis keep blowing each other up.
>>
Yeah guys this is all very complicated to me. It's like we are trying to find reasons to war and hate each other
>>
>>18031615

Because that's literally what Catholics did back in the day.

You realize that the English bible you have is a privilege fought and died for by protestants?

I think protestants still have a slight chip on their shoulder for these historical transgressions by the Catholic church.

The Catholic church though basically adapted itself to be more protestant-y to survive, so there's little practical difference when it comes to individual people these days. I have no problem with Catholics. I still believe their belief system is messed up from a theological perspective though.
>>
>>18031642
Of course someone will come here and explain the superiority of Protestant thought.
>>
>>18031645

If by superiority you mean historically actually trying to adhere to scripture then sure

But this is actually not about that. This is about the human tendency to internalize [even historic] victimization from an identified group, and feel/act accordingly - which is the true issue that
>>18031615 is referring to. I mentioned the Bible thing because it is an example of said victimization.
>>
>>18031683
>Catholic Church selects and compiles the New Testament out of a vast range of documents detailing Jesus' life, aposltes' writings etc. as an aid to Catholic living
>Retarded protestants come along and reject Catholicism while considering the Catholic-compiled Bible the absolute divine truth
>>
Catholic church uses the people's pelieve to own them in its own interest, in my opinion would be far happier without it. The Catholic church is a shady business-like structure that's easily exploited by the higher-ups to aquire huge amounts of cash, it's like the olympian comitee or FIFA plus child molestation.

Source: Guy who quit the Catholic church.
>>
>>18031766
Oh my god, what a clusterfuck that first sentence has become.

I meant to say:
The Catholic churchs uses the believers through the religion for its own advantantage.

Next time I'll take a shit first and type the post then, instead of trying to do both at the same time.
>>
Legitimate question to all: HOW do I become a Christian if I'm Catholic and everyone in my family is catholic?

Like what do I physically have to do?
>>
>>18031800
Depends on the country, in Germany I went to the Standesamt (where you also get juristically wed) and told the guys there I wanted to quit the membership.
>>
https://youtu.be/RmXBj2N9fhY
>>
>>18031829
i think this vid covers a lot, i don't think a few things are accurate though, particularly war history stuff, but I think overall, close to the truth.
>>
>>18031834
I will watch on lunch. Currently at work now
>>
>>18031800
All you have to do is confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and accept him as your Lord and Savior.

That easy, and do the best you can, because no one is perfect. Try every day to be better than before. But ultimately know that in the end, it is his free gift (grace) that saves us from the second death. Just accept Jesus, and never deny his name, and that he is God. Talk to him, pray in his name.
>>
>>18031850
^This guy gets it. Jesus comes before denominations.
>>
>>18031504
Catholic is a subgroup of Christianity, just like protestantism and Orthodoxy.
If you go up to a Catholic and ask them what that difference between them and a Christian is, they'll either be really confused or offended.
>>
>>18031800
You're already a Christian by necessity if you're a Catholic. If you want to convert to a different Christian denomination, then just go to that church and call yourself that.
>>
File: IMG_1498.gif (509KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1498.gif
509KB, 440x330px
>>18031961
This makes me feel a lot better.

Thank you everyone for all your advice and help. Have a good day everyone
>>
just spew some bullshit about jesus saving you somehow without doing anything and gg
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.