[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Switch from film to computer science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Basically I'm starting to worry about money, something I never really took into consideration before coming to uni and I fell for the do what you love meme.

The lectures and seminars for film aren't amazing but of course I like watching films and don't mind reading film theory/history.

My personality is very introverted (intp) which im starting to realize my be an issue if I wish to get into the industry and I definitely don't want to end up as a barista or working at a supeemarket.

So computer science seems like a decent escape. I like video games, have built my own PC in the past and don't mind spending a lot of time behind a desk. This course seems to provide safer job opportunities and seems more in lime with my personality. However I love films (people not so much) and know nothing about programming.

Changing would mean a waste of a year and £9k+. What should I do?
>>
Absolutely. Definitely do it. After you switch discipline yourself to keep putting in effort and get the grades you need. Do it you will be so much happier. It's the right decision.
>>
>>18023001
Wow, your reply is encouraging but may I ask how you are so sure its the right choice?
>>
>>18023026
It's not fucking film or arts lol. Gtfo you will definitely end up at starbucks.

I went into accounting and commercial law because i wanted money. My life is fucking awesome. If i tried to make my hobbies a career i would be fucked up and a miserable failure.

Just remember all courses have real boring times. You just have to make yourself study even when it's the last thing you want. All part of growing up. After 1st year isn't a bad time to realise this. Good on you OP. Also make academically focused friends and study with then
>>
A shitty programmer will make 100x more money than a mediocre film critic (or whatever job you think you will get after your degree).

9k is nothing over the rest of your life.

Your film degree is a joke and you will seriously regret doing it. Change to computer science now.
>>
Bro €9k plus wasted is easy to make up with COMPUTER SCIENCE. A degree in film study is another story, just consider that money wasted a slap on the wrist.
>>
>>18022997

i would. i got a film degree. i live in los angeles and i make films in my spare time, and thankfully i got lucky and found office work that looks sweeet on my resume. but if i was just a shade less lucky i would be fucked. get a good degree, take film classes as electives, but try nto to do film theory and shit, hands on stuff is where you learn.

or just go get a camera and make a short film.
>>
>>18022997
>Changing would mean a waste of a year and £9k+. What should I do?
You've got to look at the big picture mate. Sure, it's a whole year where you won't be earning, but if you look at the money you'll make with a CS degree and compare that to what you'd make as a shelf stacker in sainsbury's with a film degree you'll see it's a worthwhile investment.

As for the money, you're just over thinking it. It only seems like a lot of money as you don't currently have any, but it really isn't. I have an NVQ6 (which is a masters degree equivalent vocational qualification) in a field much less lucrative than comp sci, and nine grand to me is about a year and a half's pension contributions, or a about a fifth of the cost of my car. When you've got that qualification and a few years of experience nine grand to you will be nothing more than the cost of a good summer holiday.
>>
>>18023170
Yeh turns out I hate the hands on stuff because I hate working with people.
>>
>>18023179

oh yeha, then you're not meant for filmmaking. definitely switch,
>>
>>18022997

Do not listen to this man: >>18023001

The REAL answer is this: you are the only person who can make this decision, and letting some stranger on the internet make it for you is fucking moronic

Seriously, if you make such a major decision because someone on the internet told you that was the right decision, YOU WILL REGRET IT

We all have to make major decisions in life, and we will all question them later - the only thing you can do is to MAKE THESE DECISIONS YOURSELF, THE BEST THAT YOU CAN. So then you know that even if things are shit after your decision, at least you only have yourself to blame, and you can learn from the decision you made - otherwise you will just be angry at the person who told you to make the decision in a certain way.

Anyway here's my personal experience - I have a philosophy degree but I did some computer science modules during uni. That experience got me a job as a web developer, which was good. I wish I hadn't done philosophy - then again not sure if I wish I had done full comp sci, because it's pretty intense. Really I wish I had done physics or something, but I hadn't done science A levels (another stupid mistake), but hey ho.

Make the decision yourself my friend. Would it be an option to do joint-honours of computer science and film? People can make careers out of being independent (self-employed) videographers, I know some people who do it, and they make very decent money, but it takes guts, tenacity, commitment to make it work.
>>
Go into CS, it's not all that bad

>Only did 1 year of highschool because of family problems
>Go into construction for 10 years
>Decide to become an engineer (robotics or software)
>Test into lowest level of math
Fast forward 2 years
>Finish gen ed while getting caught up in math
>In calculus, programming, and other CS classes
>President of school's robotics club doing NASA competition
>One of the most well-rounded, liked, popular, social people in school's STEM center because of past experiences

It's worth the extra year or two or whatever, you'll make a lot more money in the end and the year doing film wasn't wasted even if it doesn't count towards credit
>>
File: 1484766402453.jpg (193KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1484766402453.jpg
193KB, 1600x900px
>>18023039
>my life is fucking awesome
>is on 4chizzles instead of doing awesome things
>>
You can always study film on your own time. I know two film majors. One got a job editing wedding videos for another guy, the other is my sister and she just gets temp jobs (usually social work) to pay the bills while trying to be a writer. So just do CS and get a good job.
>>
>>18022997
>So computer science seems like a decent escape. I like video games, have built my own PC in the past

How good are you at math? Because there will be a lot of it
>>
>>18022997
>b.a. = barista meme
You're a tool. You know you make lots of money in the film industry if you join a union like IATSE right?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.