[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Social Anxiety Disorder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Do any of you have a family member that fully relies on you? If so how do you deal with it?

My family is pretty regular, my mom is a teacher my dad is a police officer their marriage is strong. We have a good income overall, nothing to complain really.
I am currently 20 years old, I am the oldest child of the two I do school and work everything for me is going fine as it is, and then there's my 16 year old sister who is not doing so great in life.

She suffers from ''Social Anxiety Disorder'' (For those who don't know what it is : Social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an excessive and unreasonable fear of social situations)

She can speak but barely speaks when she's just with the family, and I've almost NEVER heard her say something in her normal voice when someone outside of our family is near.
She has no friends and never had any, she is failing school because she cannot concentrate because she feels a constant fear at school because someone might interact with her. She doesn't ask anything to the teachers for example if she's stuck at a question or has to use the restroom. It's very bad.

The thing is though, she doesn't look like an outsider. She isn't disfigured, she is actually in my own words a very pretty girl and I absolutely love my little sister, in the good way not the /b/ way. And I'd do anything for her to help her.
But this is also very bad, she knows this and we are very close.
Cont
>>
She needs to definitely talk to a counselor at the school or find a way to have her privately talk to one.
Find a way to talk to her even if she pushes you away, talk to her.
Find a way so your sister does NOT go on medication, mostly talking to a professional counseling might help. Get her to write in a journal, she would be able to write you know whatever.
If your not busy on non school days for both of you walk or something.
>>
>>18020223
I actually have Social Anxiety myself, diagnosed by both doctor and psychologists -- the latter I've been to two of, but both instances was because of heavy depression (which is very common to be a co-morbid illness to SAD).

There's no shortcut in this. This comes both directly from the mouth of my last psychologist and from my own experiences and realizations. I want you to try to get her to see a doctor about her issues and seek professional help, because a mental disorder such as this can be devastating to both health and her life in general. At her young age it is especially important that she creates bonds with people around her so that she can grow as a person and learn how to interact with social situations in the future.

If you can't get her to see a doctor or a psychologist then she has to realize that all she can do to feel better, and she will if she does what I'm about to say, is to put herself in social "situations". She can begin with tiny steps like just saying hi to someone and then working her way from there, she doesn't need to find someone to be friend with instantly. This is how you show your own mind that there's no real danger. It's a phobia, i.e. an irrational fear. If you can reveal to yourself that there is no danger than your fear will go away with time.

I'd really, really recommend for her to see a professional though.

I wouldn't recommend a school counselor, I always felt they had no idea what they were talking about and they couldn't even see that I was having a problem (or showed interest). Professionals have the education and the brains to help you. You can't aim low with a thing like this I'm afraid.
>>
>>18020223
get her a boyfriend. Women can always get someone to take care of them, it doesn't have to be you forever. All you have to do is convince her it's the right thing for her and she can get one extremely easily, with zero effort.
>>
I had mild social anxiety too, I wanted to go to college so my parents send me to some military style college dorm managed by friars. Interestingly it cured my anxiety in less then a month.

in the first month you are subjected to some crazy pianified bullying, most of us thanks to our parents live an extremely pampered youth, so they want to teach you how shit people are

basically getting to now what people one year older than you are capable to do to you just because they've got the chance made me realize there is no need to fear the judgement of a random stranger, given the fact that he's most probably an asshole
>>
Exposure therapy is the best way to "cure" social anxiety disorder, she should seek support from a professional but it is as >>18020260 says.

I myself probably had the same problem, I started by looking people in the eye while I was in the car, then in stores and such. Yeah, the first steps usually are lame.
>>
>>18020272
Don't be stupid. In her age it is vital for her to stand alone and face her challenges. I've heard maaany times of people who in those cases start to rely on their partner and they can't get anywhere in life. She doesn't need someone to hold her hand, she needs professional guidance on how to grow as a person and face her challenges -- ALONE. OP, I advice you to not listen to this person.

PS. This >>18020260 is me.
>>
First of all, don't get trapped being her anchor. Don't pass on opportunities because she "needs you". I know you feel responsible, but you can only help to a certain degree. I had to learn this early on because of similar issues in the family.

Is she on the internet? Does she like to text with people better than talking face to face? She might enjoy making friends where it's rather anonymous. Not 4chan, some IRC network maybe.
Does she have any hobbies she could write about? Maybe she would enjoy blogging. You can make a little money from that, too if you are committed. Or maybe she would enjoy YouTube since she can completely control what she shows to the world.
Basically just get her busy so she can take her mind off school. If she gets good at something, chances are her self-esteem will improve greatly. Help her look for career options and figure out her talents. And never let her sit at home without exposure to her problems for more than a week, it's damaging and she will take steps back.

Wish you all the best.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.