[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I actually go for advice to start lifting and losing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1461776560303.png (537KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461776560303.png
537KB, 1280x720px
Where should I actually go for advice to start lifting and losing weight?
Like I really want to but its fucking intimidating and I feel like usually you do exercises improperly without proper instruction. I've only made any real progress when I was getting personal training for 3 months trying to get into the Naval Academy.
I'm doing only cardio right now in my apartment gym, trying to do it every day save for Thursdays because of classes.
I'm at Uni, engineering school, so I have access to the gym here, and oddly plenty of time to do it. I'm not the fattest piece of shit ever, just weak and essentially starting from the bottom.
>>
If you can, get a personal trainer to introduce you to it. As far as I'm aware, gyms have to have people that can at least induct you to the equipment there.

Read a couple of the PDFs on /fit/ and work out a basic routine for the week and stick to it.

Alternatively you could do bodyweight fitness for a while, once you've got the hang of that you can move to lifting in a gym.

Importantly don't over complicate it. The only people that really need to go into detail are people that do it for a living; professionals.
>>
You can lift weights properly and safely but you have to read about them, watch demonstrations on YouTube and have no ego when it comes to the weight you use. Even if you have to squat 80lbs and look like a bitch to start with it's better than looking like a stupid bitch when you hurt yourself trying to squat 135lbs

Buy Starting Strength
>>
>>18016383
So I've heard /fit/ is cancer though
>>
>>18016378

lifting, ask advice, and the most important thing is to pick a routine and stick with it. most routines are good, there isn't some secret routine that makes you shredded and the others dont. whats important is sticking with it.

if you're losing weight, its just as simple as counting your calories. tahts it. thats all it takes. bonus points for focusing on veg and fruit. your diet should be like this in terms of serving sizes, from largest to smallest

>veggies
>fruits
>meats
>sweets
>breads

i put breads at the bottom because as people say, they are empty calories. a lot of calories for no reason, and studies show that carbs make it hard to lose weight in the belly. ideally you should be eating no bread at all.

sweets i only put above it because we all get cravings, but they should be eaten sparingly. as long as your within your calorie limit its okay, btu i recommend eating legit junk only twice a week max.

the most important thing here is veggies. the part where most people make a mistake is thinking they have to have meat with dinner every day. you dont. vegetarians (real ones) are thin because they dont eat meat every day. meat is not bad for you per se, its just high in calories.

to put it into perspective
1 pound of chicken: 800 calories
1 pound of greenbeans: 141 calories

same weight for food, much elss calories, and you'll probably be full before you finish a pound of greenbeans. and even if you throw on butter and sauces its still less calories than the chicken alone (and god knows what else you'd put on for side dish!)

i recommend recipes like greenbean alfredo.

eat meat only 3 times a week if you can swing it. just have vegetarian dinners.

and of course LOKO AT RECIPES. easiest way to make tasty foods is to look up new recipes
>>
>>18016392
I'm already on the water only life, 1 sweet item per day, not a lot of bread
Don't really have a lot of time to cook though
>>
File: 1401741095953.jpg (11KB, 99x119px) Image search: [Google]
1401741095953.jpg
11KB, 99x119px
>>18016420

you're in luck, vegetables are at their healthiest when they're raw
>>
>>18016420
So like what's best
I like carrots, broccoli, spinach unironically but what else
>>
>>18016431
>>18016423
that was meant for here
>>
>>18016390
/fit/ isn't cancer and has lots of good advice. it does have the usual 4chan attitude of degrading everyone though. if you want a more positive environment, go to reddit.

but /fit/ is pretty nice as far as most boards go.
>>
>>18016390
You're an idiot. /fit/ is one of the funniest boards on this website, and the sticky holds some of the most useful information that you can find. Stop making excuses if you want to stop being a fat, unhealthy shit.
>>
>>18016431

greenbeans, snap peas, cauliflower, asparagus (my favorite) all sorts of things.

my recommendation is to go to the store, and buy one of each veggie. then eat each one and see what yo like. even the weird looking ones. you'll be surprised at what oyu missed out on.

we didnt have fruit in my house growing up, and i never realized how much i love plums and pineapples and peaches.
>>
Is lifting weights actually useful for weight loss?
>>
>>18016534
my nigga I love me some snap peas
>>
>>18016546
Yes, you'll build muscle which will help your metabolism.

Cardio helps too by boosting metabolism and adding to your caloric deficit for the day.

The most important thing is diet though, by far. You can lose weight by diet alone, but you won't lose weight by exercising if you're still eating like a fatass.
>>
>>18016378

Stronglifts 5x5.

It is everything you're looking for, OP. Google it.

/thread
>>
>>18016378
there's one way to be intimidating:
be tall.
If you're short and strong, you're less intimidating than a tall and slender man.
>>
>>18016378
Go to
>>>/fit/
and read their sticky.
Advice on the board is generally shit, you're better off googling any questions, but the sticky has the basics down. Same thing goes for r/fitness.
If you watch video on youtube on proper lifting form then you're already better informed than most personal trainers at commercial chain gyms unfortunately.

>>18016392
That's a lot of broscience.
Not every lifting routine is suited for a beginner and not all beginner routines have results backing them up.
Bread has complex carbs, fiber and other nutrients so they're certainly not empty calories.
Meat is not high in calories at all. Your comparison is terrible because it doesn't take nutrients into account. Feeling full doesn't mean you're well nourished. And eating more doesn't necessarily make you feel more full.

>>18016546
No. But keep in mind you don't want to lose weight, you want to lose fat.
For guys this can simply mean lowering your bodyfat percentage and for that it's important that you keep or gain muscle mass.
If you're just looking to lose fat, cardio is a better idea for you than lifting, but ideally you'll do both. But really pick any active sport you like and do it three times a week to get the benefits.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.