[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is College Worth It?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 391rs.gif (190KB, 500x515px) Image search: [Google]
391rs.gif
190KB, 500x515px
Hey /adv/,

I was just wondering if college is worth it.

There's no specific career path I want to go down, and I don't believe the "study what interests" idea will help me in the long run. I'm currently attending my university for free, and at the end of the semester I'll be 38 credit hours into my major (I decided on religious studies because I did fall for the "study what interests you" meme a year ago.) My parents provide for my housing and food, which just makes me feel guilty. At this point, I feel like quitting school, trying to work full time, and pursuing my hobbies.

Will doing this fuck me over in the long term? My parents are very adamant that I finish college, using the logic that I'll make more money as a college graduate (no matter what I majored in) than as someone who didn't go to college.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>18015421

possibly. everythingg has a wild card factor but without knowing what you actually want to do for basic job field you're shooting yourself in the foot.

if you were taking out huge student loans id be concerned but you're not.
>>
>>18015421
>I'll make more money as a college graduate (no matter what I majored in) than as someone who didn't go to college.
This is partially true. You'll make more than anyone who's only got a high school diploma to their name, but not necessarily anyone who doesn't have a college degree. (unless said college diploma kid is some sort of genius or wicked lucky)
There's other options outside college, but you're going to need some sort of training/special skill. IE, you're gonna be looking into getting a trade.
If you don't give a shit what you do so long as it makes enough money to live off and support your hobbies, trade work is a good option. It's significantly cheaper than college and takes less time.
So your parents bit about ANYONE without a degree is a little false, since my neighbor makes more as a welder than I probably ever will on my teaching degree. (And fuck my ass this teaching degree is stupid expensive for the pay I'll be getting.)
But college degree jobs have other benefits that idk enough about the trade scene to speak for. Such as healthcare, job security, time off, etc.
Like with my teaching degree, yeah I won't be making a ton, but I'll have lots of time off, my job is pretty secure given A, the fact that teachers are always going to be needed, and B, tenure if I make it that far.

For now OP, if you just feel you haven't explored your interests enough yet (which, most teens havent), take a break. Move out of your parents house so you aren't a leech on them, get a full time job wherever, and spend your free time thinking about it. Nothing wrong with going back to school a tad later in life.
The only thing you're sacrificing by going back to school later in life is the social aspect of college.
>>
>>18015463
Fuck, *unless said high school diploma kid is a genius.
>>
>>18015421
>There's no specific career path I want to go down

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Either join the military or work shitty jobs while doing ges at community college. It will take longer in the short run, but will save you years down the line.

Besides it'd be what you'd be doing anyways if you were a college grad with no direction.
>>
File: 1384131431484.jpg (53KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
1384131431484.jpg
53KB, 600x401px
>>18015439
Ideally, I'd love never to have to work, but I know that's not possible. No career/job really appeals to me, and I could see myself doing anything and not being bother by it. I'd prefer to not have to work in fast food again, but I'd still do it if I have to. I've worked in a gas station before, and that was pretty alright.

>>18015463
I'd considered getting a trade as an alternative. Unfortunately, I'd have to pay to get a trade, as opposed to my college which is free. Also, I'm not sure which trades are good or not. For example, I see a lot of HVAC businesses throughout my town, so I assume that's over-saturated and it'd be a waste to go in that direction.
>>
File: 1280px-Enormous_Sunfish.jpg (192KB, 1280x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Enormous_Sunfish.jpg
192KB, 1280x1008px
>>18015477
I know it's not a good thing, but what's so bad about not having a specific career in mind? I have goals and things I want to accomplish, but none of those things are tied to a job/career. A job just seems to be a way of making money, so that I can live long enough to achieve my goals.
>>
>>18015478

heres the thing, if you at least see this out and get a shitty degree, you'll have a degree. even arts degrees get you basic office work so you're not in a shitty minimum wage job where you feel like you're at the bottom of the totem pole.

i got an associates for film. thats it. now i manage a small business. because as long as you go to college, you can apply for the billions of jobs that dont require a SPECIFIC degree but that they dont want high school level tards going after.
>>
>>18015483
Well you'll probably flip flop in college and you'll probably graduate with a major you hate. That means when you find out what you'd rather be doing you'll have to go back to college for something that you actually care about.
>>
>>18015478
Yeah, but in the long run it'd definitely be cheaper. You gotta spend money to make money.
You'd have to take the time and research the trades. Like with my neighbor, citation needed, but I believe he told us once he hit it right at a sweet spot. After he got settled in his job, there was a sudden flood in welders, who most of had difficulty finding jobs due to the competition.
As I said though, you might be better off taking a year off after this semester. Just get to know yourself a little better, and then decide if college, trade, or working slave wage your whole life is more suited to you.
>>
>>18015421
Your parents are right, if you've started your degree and aren't building up massive debts then you have literally no reason to leave unless you get offered a high-paying job.
>>
Those who can't do, teach
>>
File: 1472590803347.jpg (27KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1472590803347.jpg
27KB, 600x400px
>>18015421
It can be 100% worth it or not worth it. It purely depends on your major. If it has good job availability and salary, then you will get a good return on investment. If you major in something like religious studies, then you wasted time and money. But you also want to do what interest you. Just find a balance

If you have no careers in mind, don't enroll. Just work full-time, do research, talk to others and make new friends. You will figure it out. Just give it time. At the end of the day, college is going nowhere. Forcing yourself to take classes will just make you depressed because you'll still feel clueless.

While working, figure out what you want to do. Whether it's going back to college, starting a business, going to trade school, joining the military, etc. But if your college is being paid off for, I reccomend you get a degree in at least something. Having a bachelors is a good tool.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.