[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long is your work commute? I recently found a new job and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1485302052744.png (585KB, 718x802px) Image search: [Google]
1485302052744.png
585KB, 718x802px
How long is your work commute? I recently found a new job and it takes me about 70 minutes to get there.

How long of a commute would you be able to tolerate day to day?
>>
Move closer or use that time efficiently.

Are you studying a subject? Perhaps a language?

Audio books and youtube videos in the background are your friend.
>>
>>18013980
I usually read the news or daydream on the train. I can occupy myself during the commute but I really dislike the amount of time "wasted" each day just getting to my job.

I wanted to know whether I'm just being childish about 70 minutes used to go to and from work, and if lots of other people experience this every day.
>>
My travel time is ~16 minutes to/from. But the job isn't worth having so it's whatever.
>>
Takes about 13 minutes drive to get to work.

However I don't drive so my parents drive me.

I am also 28.
>>
>>18013972
>How long is your work commute?
about 45 seconds. working at home for the absolute unequivocal win
>>
That's pretty standard where I live.
>>
>>18013972
I have to travel 2-3 hours a day via tram and bus, but after 2-3 months it didnt bother me anYmore. Of course i can relax on the train and do stuff with my phone.

In my opinion, i would sccept everything up until 2h per way, thats too much for me
>>
One hour and fourtyfive minutes, I managed to do this for half a year then quit. Commutes like these are terrible.
>>
>>18014382
I like to ad that I used to read books in the train but that changed after the railway got new trains without a propper silence traincart. Now I just listen to music allot.
>>
>>18013972
I travel 6 hours/day. Get on my level OP or get out
>>
Depends if the job is worth it. Pay, enjoyment, proximity, all these things are factors.
>>
My commute is about 30 minutes each way. I have a company vehicle and gas card so I don't mind
>>
It takes me nearly 2 hours since I don't have a car and rely on buses. With a taxi it's like 40 minutes, entirely because of the route buses take. With a car it'd probably be like 30 minutes. It's hilarious to think about.

Lately I've been working from home more often recently so that I can do other things, but I still need to go in at least briefly on those days
>>
>>18014498
Solution is to get a car. They are only like $250 a month with good credit
>>
>>18013972
My commute is about 80 minutes. I don't use my car to get to work, so it's mostly me-time.
I spend about 15-20 minutes walking to the ferry, am on the ferry for ~30 minutes, and then walk another 35 minutes up to work.

I don't have to be actively aware of my surroundings like one would need to while driving. I often spend the ferry ride studying, reading, playing games, or sleeping. My walks are pretty much the only way I can convince myself to exercise regularly, and I often use it to plan my week or call someone.

I particularly like that I'm forced to do things that aren't the internet while I'm on the ferry.
>>
>>18014502
You say that like just anyone can routinely drop $250 every month.
>>
>>18014516
Anyone with a non-meme job usually can
>>
>>18014517
A lot of 4channers are younger kids, in their early-mid 20's. In a lot of places, they're usually struggling to pay rent, saddled with student loans, and having a hard time finding careers in their fields. Lots of people with degrees working in retail and food. Let's hope they don't have any medical bills either.
If someone is annoyed with their bus commute, I'm sure that they've considered getting a car. It's not a novel concept.
The cost doesn't end at the payment either, with insurance, gas, parking, maintenance. Cars can be worked around, invested in, but they are definitely an investment. It's short sighted of you to wave off thousands of dollars like it's nothing.
>>
>>18013972
My commute to college was about 3 hours. It was worth it though. You have to try plan a schedule to make it worth it.

Personally, I'd plan all my courses in one or two days -- it didn't matter what it was, I just wanted it to fill requirements and my time slot. So I'd be able to travel 3 hours once or twice a week and make it worth -- at least in my mind.

If it's work for you OP, then I'd suggest finding the cheapest mode of transportation -- this could mean taking the bus or train or whatever. It saves quite a bit, especially if you're using a car. But I mean, it comes at a cost too because its either a) car and save time, but costs a lot or b) train, save money but longer.

You gotta look up your metro's transit and plan accordingly. Honestly, 70 minutes (basically just an hour travel) isn't too bad. If it's on train, then just do some work/study while on it when so you don't just waste it. Or if you're driving listen to some audio book or plan your day while driving in morning traffic.
>>
>>18013972
With the car it takes 25 to 35 minutes to uni, depending on traffic. I usually have to park way way outside the city and walk another 15 to 20 minutes.

Train takes 50 to 70 minutes, but I can sleep on the ride and don't need to search for a parking spot.

Got a motorcycle I could park wherever, but can't afford a license. No there's no dorms or affordable living in the city.
>>
>How long is your work commute?
13 min

>How long of a commute would you be able to tolerate day to day?
10 min.
>>
I have to budget about an hour to make it on time. I live in Chicago and take the train to my office.
>>
I've lived in rural Ohio and Orlando FL.

My commute for work in Ohio was 5 minutes for one job, and less than 12 minutes for another. I made anywhere from $8.50/hr to $17/hr. It was glorious. I've worked all 3 shifts and enjoyed 2nd/Graveyard shift the most.

In Florida, before I was laid off, I made $16/hr and drove about 25 minutes; when I worked day shift and traveled during rush hour traffic it took about 40 minutes; it could take an hour if it was crazy. Again, I liked the late night shifts.

Since I live with my GF and she makes decent money, I would accept a lower-paying job if it was closer. If the travel is longer than 30 minutes I won't accept the job.

I've known co-workers to travel over an hour each way for their jobs in similar payscales.
>>
Rural UK here.

I commute 30 mins into work each way, using public transport.

Public transport is ok for me, but I hate waiting for it.

I've had coworkers who've had to commute for 2 hours each way in the past - from the country side into London - using trains/the tube. He used to watch videos on his laptop to pass the time.

A short commute is a huge bonus to your day, anything over an hour has a big impact. Especially if you're driving/cycling.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.