[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PTSD-talkthread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 1474881056315.jpg (202KB, 1280x1882px) Image search: [Google]
1474881056315.jpg
202KB, 1280x1882px
Hi ya all, anyone else here who is diagnosed with PTSD? How do you feel about all this self-diagnosing teenage cancer?
What do you think about the 'triggered' meme?
What do you do to cope with anger? Especially when relating to people who did you wrong.
>>
>self diagnosed PTSD

Its possible for someone to overblow their issues and cause themselves PTSD by the sheer fact that the slightest "triggering" can be overblown to trauma.

Yes, someone can delude themselves into thinking they were traumatized by an event.

Unless you were sexually abused, were in a life changing event, or was in a battle field, your 'PTSD' is likely a self-fulfilling inaccurate diagnosis.
>>
>Hi ya all, anyone else here who is diagnosed with PTSD?
Got diagnosed with PTSD 3 years ago because I've seen someone die infront of me, still affected by it. It doesn't have a major impact on my life but I often become sleepless because of it. Made me very anxious about death and existence.

>How do you feel about all this self-diagnosing teenage cancer?
I don't really care.

>What do you do to cope with anger? Especially when relating to people who did you wrong.

I'm rarely ever angry.
>>
>>18012439
I agree. I thought the same, but my symptoms were clear and a history of physical abuse by an islamic household is enough for me to believe that. I was once diagnosed with borderline, but enough docotrs reassured me that it is bullshit, but I almost bought into it.

>>18012449
Understandebly. Have you received treatment? And how is it helping so far?
>>
>>18013444
I was prescribed some medicine but after reading about its side effects I said fuck it.

I'm not sure if it's the PTSD or not but in the past year I've become really uncomfortable with the idea of death and in the past few weeks I struggle to sleep because whenever I turn the lights off and get in my bed, I start thinking about death, how I'll die, how I'll stop existing, how my family will die one day and so on. Every fucking night it happens. At first it was just scary, now it's both scary and annoying.
>>
>>18013463
Damn, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried therapy?
I mean EMDR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_desensitization_and_reprocessing) has proven itself to be pretty helpful, combined with a therapist you trust.
Do you have these possibilities?
I also often have severe problems with sleeping, that's why I programmed myself to always fall asleep to a podcast or a youtube video. It helps me to not feel alone or regress into a younger age, cuz that's hell. Maybe you could develop a ritual like that for yourself.
>>
I have complex PTSD. Later on this year, I'm going to try EMDR therapy. I was abused as a child in several ways. One of the doctors I saw diagnosed me.

I don't like the triggered meme because it makes mentally ill people feel like they are a joke and shouldn't talk about their issues.
>>
File: 1485045570481.jpg (283KB, 1280x1434px) Image search: [Google]
1485045570481.jpg
283KB, 1280x1434px
>>18013524
Good luck anon. I'm rooting for you.

I mean the 'triggered' meme came out of self-diagnosing stupid fifteen year olds who made light of PTSD. I mean this meme also mocks veterans (who very often have PTSD), which are really at the shitty end of the stick in american society. I can't stand it, but it's there and I'm gonna let everyone play with it. Just as long as they actually respect people who have PTSD.
>>
It's hard to open up even to doctors, they always ask too many questions. There are good counselors out there who can spot the behavior even when I was denying it, but it's rare. It's still something I'm not comfortable admitting to, especially to strangers, and that's all doctors are to me. I've made my own progress and my own complexes have only pushed me to be stronger. Sure I may be more paranoid than everyone else but I'll take that over being naive. I don't compare myself to anyone in general, like we could make connections in this age. We're walking red flags. To cope with anger I exercise. Just one of those things I wish was all over already, memory is a bitch. Trying to build happier ones on top of It instead of living in the past, but it's all anyone ever obsesses about, then that's all they can see of me.
>>
File: 1484347662235.jpg (43KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1484347662235.jpg
43KB, 500x375px
>>18012436

Mental health professional here. I'm a counselor who has worked with people with mental illness and developmental disabilities for nearly 15 years.

>How do you feel about all this self-diagnosing teenage cancer?

I think characterizing any legitimate psychological disorder as "self-diagnosed teenage cancer" is inherently damaging. Yes, anybody can fake any number of disorders but from first hand experience PTSD is very real and very damaging.

As far as I'm concerned, let the kids fish for attention. I'd rather let a handful of kids cultivate and live in their delusional safe space than have actual people with PTSD be mocked and disregarded due to this false characterization of PTSD being a tumble-born disease.

It most certainly isn't and it most certainly ends lives.

I've dealt with sexual abuse survivors, war veterans, sex workers, and even children raised in cults. Until you see PTSD up close with your own eyes I'd recommend interpreting all of this SJW nonsense with a grain of salt.

>What do you think about the 'triggered' meme?

Again, triggers are very real. In my field we are trained to assess each individual's needs and possible disorders as a whole and save judgement and treatment plans until all of the pieces of the puzzle are put together.

Anyone can fake anything. Like I said before, I think the emphasis should be on taking PTSD and triggers very seriously as a basis for treatment instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

If a couple of kids whining and self-diagnosing for the sake of attention is what we must tolerate to ensure that people with actual PTSD are taken seriously and not lumped in with the faker then, as a professional who has seen it firsthand, thats a trade off I'm gladly willing to make.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.