[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a depressed "Artist"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

File: Blue.png (2MB, 3150x3600px) Image search: [Google]
Blue.png
2MB, 3150x3600px
I'm 19 years old, turning 20 in a few months. I love making art. I love sketching, designing characters, the whole process and how satisfying it is to finish something and be proud of it. That being said, I'm not a good artist, no where near the skill of any of the anons that lurk on these draw threads.

I really want to become a freelance artist, and I know that the biggest things that you need to reach that stage is working consistently, and getting your name out. I use Twitter and Instagram to upload my art, but I've become very inconsistent because of how demotivating it is to not get any appreciation for my art.

Like I said, I know I'm not good, but I'm making an effort and attempting to get better. The low view numbers, the low comments and likes, its honestly getting to me in a way that's leaving me feeling very depressed. That I'm no good, that I'll never make it, and its honestly crushing me to a point I have no idea where to go.

I need advice. Especially from artists if there are any here. How do I get motivated and stop acting like a pussy? How do I get my name out there, what can I do to improve? I'm desperate guys, and no one to turn to right now. Any advice is appreciated.
>>
Hey anon, I'm also a mediocre artist but here's what you can do.
Try a lot of different styles, don't just stick to one because you can get unmotivated easily, it will help you to understand various techniques and improve your own style.
If you want to learn something specific there's always youtube tutorials and they are very helpful. About 'getting out there', don't focus too much about being known, because often if your art is good it can still be left in the dark, unless you want to profit from it you can always post on social media or something for people to judge your work or even ask for commissions.
>>
You are depressed because your dumb ass thinks more likes is improvement. When it comes to drawing there are things to improve which can be seen in your work not the likes. Identify what you can improve and work on it. Likes, comments and shares are outside of your control, you might be the best unknown drawer right now but you need a stroke of dumb luck (or to get viral) to get internet famous.
Focus on your art not your social media accounts and don't make the mistake that improving the first will improve the second or vice-versa.
>>
>>18011787
I think the improving part while difficult, I can usually stick to and figure stuff out. Even the past few months I've gotten a whole lot better I think.

I set up commissions, only one friend of mine is interested. I love the idea of commissions because it'll force me out of my comfort zone, and I'll want to do a great job because its for someone else, but right now it feels impossible.

>>18011792
Believe me, i understand that likes =/= improvement. That's the root of the problem,it feels like no matter how much I improve, noting else is changing. I don't even want fame either, just enough of a following that people know I exist.

I also want to be a part of a community so badly, but every time I look into one everyone is so much better than me that I get too anxious and pussy out.
>>
>>18011784
You need to treat your depression first.

Making it as an artist is very hard and requires nerves of steel to deal with the insecurity, not to mention the procrastination tendencies, the self-doubt etc. Excekling at everything is hard work, however in artistic professions you need to get a lot better than mediocre. A standard, normal-tier engineer can get a job and live well while there are still a lot of people waaay better than him. That's not the case for art, you need to be up there above, on top of your thing. Maybe you have the skill needed to get there but your depression will get in the way of your determination.
>>
>>18011812
Pic related is my most recent. It's not amazing, but I really like it, to give you an idea of how skilled I am. I am extremely, EXTREMELY amateur.

Maybe you are right about shaking the depression, but I keep thinking that if randomly tomorrow morning I woke up and like 20 people found me, loved my art, and wanted to commission and communicate with me, that all the anxiety would go away.
>>
>>18011816
Trust me on this, it doesn't. I have people who want mine enough but I had to stop because I couldn't deal. It just makes things harder because you try to please them.

Also never go on /ic/
>>
>>18011822
So I went to check it out specifically because you said not to, and I found out why you said not to go on it very quickly. Thank you for the warning.

I guess I hadn't thought about it like that, I guess I just try to make excuses for myself. It's aggravating.
>>
Hello man, depressed artist too exactly in the same position as you even tho I'm 25.

First thing I would say, if you can go to a school and study for a sure job (even as a 3d artist for example but be sure to choose something that pays), DO IT. Being 25 and no job experience is hard.

Stop thinking your so important, people couldn't care less about you... Dont undermine yourself and dont compare yourself to others, most of the time there work is shit but there confidence makes you believe its good. its all about marketing yourself in this business.

I like your drawing, just keep going. Provide a lot of online content, at your stage content matters so much more than quality. You'll learn to overcome problems as they come. Stop ruminating, your problems are not so important, even your friendship, relationship, mistakes dont really matter as long as you go threw your path, find your way and be happy. Have faith.

I'm talking big words but still I'm just a NEET lool yey I think thatq what you and I should do, for sure ! Stop making excuses !
>>
Also an artist here, lots of depression. Pretty much want to quit and I don't believe people who say my art is good because I don't trust compliments. At the same time, I've been drawing since I can remember and I don't know anything else.

Anyway, when you post on IG, do you use hashtags? You can put up to 30, and they're really fucking important. You can sell out a bit and just draw fanart for awhile to get some easy follows. Also, you want more attention, but do you follow other artists? Yes, it can be a bit de-motivating because you're tempted to compare yourself to them (nothing complicated, like "hey this is cool, you did a nice job with x", but by commenting on their posts, you create attention for yourself.

As for improvement, draw every day. Draw people, practice anatomy, and watch videos on different techniques.
>>
>>18011784
If the OP is a recent creation of yours, you seriously need to work on anatomy. Your proportions are very, very wrong--you're looking at years and years of practice and study just to be passable. Go to school for a secure job and then pursue your interests on the side.
>>
>>18011784
From reading your responses, you still don't get it. You seem to care more about the attention than your art - if you *really* cared about your art and your skill, you wouldn't even be looking at how many likes you get, you would be practicing. Stop drawing for attention.
>>
File: IMG_0944.jpg (82KB, 528x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0944.jpg
82KB, 528x768px
>>18011784
If you want to get better at drawing, practice! Don't be ashamed to draw from a model, the internet is full of pics you can use, and you'll get a lot better at anatomy, for example. It could help you to learn to draw realistic people/things, then try to find your own style. Also you should try using different mediums, it could help to mix things up a little, and maybe you'd even find something that suits you even better than drawing.

If you like making characters, i think you should consider making comics or at least include a lot more stuff in your drawings, a background and maybe a small story behind it, if you don't do that already. Make your drawings more interesting.

As an "artist", what motivates me is that i want to tell people something with my art, or make them feel something and seeing myself get better all the time.

Right now you should focus on improving your skills. There are hundreds of tutorial things on the internet. And draw using models, draw realistic faces, add more deatail. Draw because you enjoy drawing.
>>
Struggling beginner artist, 23 yes old, depression and anxiety. I'm in the same position but the thing that has changed with me lately is what other anon have already mentioned. I've stopped focusing so much on getting followers or what other people think of my work let affect me whether they like it or not. What I did start was focusing more on my art and improving it, so I decided to go back to the basics. Even though I felt like I knew enough of anatomy to develop my "style" I didn't feel quite satisfied with my work. So I decided to go back to the fundementals and start with perspective, and even now in the beginning stages I see a drastic improvement in my style in the sketches alone. Also /ic/ hasn't all gone to sit like the previous anon mentioned earlier, I use it for reference materials in the art books or art tutorials, and on rare occasions networking, which helps with critics more so than a comment on ig just saying they like my art or style.
>>
File: 1462004079272.png (230KB, 807x462px) Image search: [Google]
1462004079272.png
230KB, 807x462px
>>18012196
>>18012196
Holy shit are you me?

>Struggling beginner artist, 23 yes old, depression and anxiety

Anyway, I was just about to post how I think the reason I'm not improving ( aside from having very little time for art unfortunately..) is because I sometimes feel like I'm trying to get into art to get away from my dayjob and career. You know what I mean? Like it's not honest. But I want it to be honest, and I can have fun with art, even though it's really frustrating sometimes.

However, I think what I'm missing is the right environment. I tend to procrascinate a lot when I'm alone, and I'm alone most of the time. Being in a classroom would be help, but there's none in my area..
>>
File: avatar_1484289894634.jpg (93KB, 724x1036px) Image search: [Google]
93KB, 724x1036px
>>18012213
I literally and am not lying here whatsoever, just quit my job 2 weeks ago because I couldn't handle having a 8 hr day job going nowhere where I put in o.t. after o.t. making decent cash but that aside it wasn't fulfilling. (My little spew aside) it forced me to look at what I really wanted to do in life e.i freelance artist, but knew my art was no where near the level l,(back then measured it by how many likes or followers I would get) to make it a living, so that forced me to ask why. After having the time to think about it I realized it just came down to developing my skill and understanding of forms and by going back to the beginning, I've begun to get a better understanding here of propotions, form, ext. , and that has helped develop my style and as a result helped improved my cofidence. Not saying it's a guarantee for everyone but it has helped me drastically. Longterm goal for me here is to create my own webcomic series.
>>
File: 1481740987602.gif (37KB, 188x286px) Image search: [Google]
1481740987602.gif
37KB, 188x286px
>>18012374
the webcomic is also a common thing, lol. eventhough I don't have a full story, I only have scenes in my head. Either inspired by certain songs, or they just randomly pop into my head. I am, of course, lacking the ability to put them on paper. Lately though, I started playing with the idea of looking into animation a bit more.

Quitting your job is a brave move man. I don't think I could do it. But maybe I will if I'll have enough.
>>
>>18011784
First and foremost keep the fuck away from /ic/
worst place on this earth, well maybe after /r9k/

you are 19. so you still have your youth and have a long way to go before you should seriously consider what you are setting out to do.

having said that. you need to entrench yourself for the long game. and that means dumping motivation and inspiration. you need to regiment yourself purely and hard work and building a routine. inspiration or motivation comes and goes. its a good thing but its way more useful to you if you are hard at work when it finds.

I identify where you want to be at. and work on the skill sets needed to get there.

>perspective
> Values
> Anatamoy
> Early Ideation/ thumbnailing
> Composition
> Recall library
> line work
>Color theory
> etc etc
>>
>>18012392
cont

you will definitely be working at 3-5 of those at the same time. dont come at this expecting a easy ride. luckily for us. there are so many great
veteran teachers on the internet to learn from.

three schools, you should look into.

>Watts Atellier
>New Masters Academy
> Schoolism
> Barnstone Method

it takes money to make money. also check CGPeers they have both of Barnstones DVD's and some of New masters classes.
build a routine for yourself and stick to it. something like 3 days of the week. you will study your craft. doesn't need be 3 but something that is constant.

for example. I spend 3 days of the week studying. wake up 5:30 until 6pm
and for 3 days I slave away at retail. one day is for family and friends. it what it is and am happy.

and Read Read Read. you have the whole worlds library at your fingertips.
start with LOOMIS though (fuck /ic/ )

and always always carry a small sketch book with you.
>draw
>draw
>draw
>draw
only do this for yourself honestly. dont do this for the approval of others. because its too much pain to do this day after day alone in your room for some likes or comments. its gotta be your craft.

and keep family and friends close. in the end none will have felt worth if there is no one to share it with.
>>
File: NervousMartin.jpg (16KB, 312x348px) Image search: [Google]
NervousMartin.jpg
16KB, 312x348px
>>18012381
Yeah I'm going to go search for a part time job maybe just 6 hrs 3-4 days a weeks and dedicate more of my free time into drawing. But for now I'm taking a break and developing a daily routine. I go on /ic/ to see if they have any art book threads and get a book to study from ( but not religiously like other /ic/ cucks) and practice the exercises for several weeks then move on to the next book and so on. I personally started with Perspective Made Easy by Norling, (literally basics) and have now gotten a better comprehension to where now I'm studying from How to Draw by Robertson. Planning on going to some still life's later on in the month but first have to see a therapist to help deal with my anxiety before then.
>>
File: 1482103370917.jpg (60KB, 767x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482103370917.jpg
60KB, 767x1000px
>>18012446
Yeah there was a time when I was on ic a lot, but ic combined with depression, anxiety, and a high tendency of procrascination must be some of the worst combinations ever.

I'd say take what you need from ic and LEAVE.

Good luck with your therapy dude. I'm actually drawing right now, and even though it's just a copy, I'm having fun so far.
>>
>>18012591
pic unrelated obviously, kek.
>>
>>18011784
Get off deviantart. Stop drawing anime. Draw from real life and study anatomy.

How can you draw a simplified cartoon if you don't know the complex things under it.

By drawing from anime references you're learning other artists mistakes (that you're not yet good enough to see) and adding your own on top.

Only hard work and understanding fundamentals like anatomy and perspective can help you.

The key to a good artist is simply being able to see your own mistakes. If you draw digital, mirror the image occasionally. Or hold a paper up to a light. The fresh view really helps in a pinch and you should do it naturally
>>
i currently have 1.9 million views, and get 67 views every month.

but when i started i was estatic just to get 50 views total and 2 comments.

the point is those who actually like to create will enjoy creating even if no one sees it. you're just an attention whore, not an artist.
>>
File: tumblr_nii4qxoBir1u4x9a0o1_1280.jpg (96KB, 766x529px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nii4qxoBir1u4x9a0o1_1280.jpg
96KB, 766x529px
>>18012659
I'm not OP, sometimes I can't even get a copy of an anime charachter right, but still enjoyed the process. Am I retarded?

(I know that copying anime is not training, I just do it for the fun of it, especially when I haven't drawn in a week, just to get to the mood again)
>>
Hey OP, i'm a 23 old wannabe artist and i understand what you mean. I've been studying drawing for almost 5 years now in a school and i've been drawing ever since i can remember.

I can understand what you're going through, othen i come home after hours of practice and if feel some dread and anxiety about me not being good enough and yada yada, you know the drill.

Even though it's uncomfortable, what helps me in those times is to put things back into perspective. You are young, you have a lot of time ahead of you. Yes drawing is hard but you can mess up and you must mess up, it's not a big deal honestly, forgive yourself your mistakes as it failing requires courage and it will only make you improve. Hopefully we will all make it. To all the drawfags itt, stand strong and relax, the world is a nice place, we'll make it eventually.
>>
Stop being stupid by setting yourself up for failure leading to to a life of sucking off public entitlements. Go to trade school and learn a skill that will carry you after you leave your parent's basement.
>>
>>18012820
can you post your art?
>>
File: abcde.jpg (903KB, 3508x3673px) Image search: [Google]
abcde.jpg
903KB, 3508x3673px
>>18012831
sure, i know i'm not good especially for a guy who studied for 5 years but no bully please let me live my dreams
>>
>>18012878
Shit man that's great
>>
>>18012957
thanks a lot man i'm really happy to hear that
>>
>>18012984
I mean it, I love sketchy anatomy studies and that grill is cute. Do you have a Tumblr I could check out
>>
>>18013036
Thanks ! I m sorry but i dont have any kind of website... I ll open one in the future but for now i don't have anything to share what i do.
>>
I'm a freelance illustrator on films and I gave advice to another anon a while back. Maybe I can help you too.

What I can read from your text is, that you are highly insecure and looking for validation in others by creating art. That's not a good thing to base your art on. People can tell.
You're so nervous and anxious, because you are so dependent on social media and if you keep this going you won't grow at all. Delete all of the accounts and come back, when you're ready. Which means, when you've grown so much that you're drawing what you want to draw and can be independent, because you don't care about other people's opinions.

>>18012081
While most of your advice is good and I'm happy that you want to use your art to tell something, I think improving skills isn't the first thing to do. Drawing whatever you want, just getting comfortable with the materials and yourself, that's more important for me.

>>18012392
Your advice is also really good, but what I miss is the "have fun, have lots of fun, get dirty and fail". A rigid schedule alone won't do much, but burn you out, if forced.

>>18011964
>even as a 3d artist
People like you piss me the fuck off. Most 3D artists are better at 2D than you will ever be on your high horse. Just die.

>>18012878
That's really cool and you should keep doing it. And stop saying you aren't good, let the viewer judge it and take the compliment.

Most of the other advice I guess was written by early students, who "seem to have just the solution to everything". "Oh learn this and that and everything will be fine" etc.
Never trust people like that.
In the end art is the expression of your inner voice, and no amount of studying anatomy and not having fun, will make you create something interesting. It can help, sure, but it doesn't substitute for your expression of self.

In general I advice to keep away from the internet for anything art related. Talk to people in reality about art, it's more fun.
>>
>>18013189
Great advice and an interesting read anon, thank you
>>
File: Spade.png (906KB, 2100x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Spade.png
906KB, 2100x2400px
>>18013189
OP here, sorry for no replies I was up late as hell sketching and just woke up. I really appreciate what you and many other people have said in this thread. You are right, I am insecure, and I am looking for validation from other people.

I've also seen a couple people accuse me of being an attention whore, and that I'm not an artist. I agree that with attention whoring, I'm used to attention, thats a big part of why this whole thing was demotivating. But also, as amateur as I am, I do love what I do. I wouldn't have spent years doing it just for fun ever since I was a kid, if I didn't like it. Guess those comments come with the territory, but just thought I'd reassure it, I love what I do.

I just have to grind it out, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>18011784
Alex
>>
>>18013294
?
>>
>>18013298
Never mind. Art work looks like someone I know.
>>
>>18013106
Alright well pass by the webcomic thread in /co/ if you ever do. The place is a shithole but it's still one of the only ones I check out
>>
File: 1483555510346.png (723KB, 1105x1177px) Image search: [Google]
1483555510346.png
723KB, 1105x1177px
I got the same issue OP, difference is that I'm a 28 year old person who dropped out of university. So you got some more chances to get it together. I don't even know if I can keeping living with my shame, desu.
>>
>>18013189
Good advice except for the just die part. Wtf is wrong with you boy, I wasnt dissing 3d artists. Be cool
>>
>>18011784
your art isn't that good, but if you learned to animate it, and created entertaining content you could at least have a good youtube channel and make money off that.
>>
>>18012681
You are training your self to draw through muscle memory instead of talent and understanding.

Any drawing is practice. At a low skill level, drawing the same bad anime based on someone else's work is not only unhelpfull.... it UNTRAINS you.

If you just do it for fun and never want to improve, do what makes you happy.

Go look at videos on YouTube from Feng Zhu
>>
>>18013496
Basically you are training yourself to draw someone elses shitty anime over and over again and it will make it harder for you to correct mistakes and develop a style of your own.

Draw from real people references and turn them into anime if that's your style.
>>
>>18013285

Work on your fundamentals. Toss the cartoony and anime stuff into the garbage. You're dog shit right now. Once you understand how things work and get better you can start injecting your own style and personality into offshoot pieces. This is much later though.

Draw everything around you and get harsh critiques from better artists. Grab books and take lessons. To keep your ego in check at the early stages never announce you're working (like your amateur self is that fucking important), never post work on social media at all and if you have a piece you're proud of study it to find every flaw but draw a black line over it or toss it in a closet. It's not that good and don't be too content with it. And for fucks sake don't practice your signature all day or whack off by throwing it onto every early work.

If you don't start keeping your ego in check and work for yourself your work won't be impressive no matter the skills you've honed. Hell, I'll bet cash you'll crash and burn if you are fueled by likes and not genuine progress. My biggest dislike, no, something I loathe are artists that don't have their own voice and only echo others. You can spot the lack of inspiration easily.

Work hard and eventually you'll get to play.
>>
>>18013656

And apologies if I sound like a hardass. It's how I am (get it from parents). Just work hard and fix your approach. Art should be fun and expressive but you should strive to better yourself and that means long hours and work.
>>
File: Benczur.jpg (148KB, 982x1184px) Image search: [Google]
Benczur.jpg
148KB, 982x1184px
>>18013496
>>18013503
Thanks man. Yeah I know it's not training to copy anime stuff, and as for whether I'm doing it for the fun of it.. I'm not sure. I'm this guy>>18012213 . I still can't decide what to do. I'm stuck between university I hate, and drawing that I sometimes do. And I don't know if I do it only sometimes (aside from lack of time) because I'm a depressed, anxious retard, OR because I don't truly want it. Like I said in the quoted post, I sometimes think that art for me is just something to use to get away from my shitty life. and that's really soulcrushing.
>>
>>18011784

Every artist is depressed, and if they're not, it's because they're on medication.

Draw more. Read about drawing. Draw even more. Look at tutorials. Draw more. Try YouTubers (I'm fond of Sycra and Draw With Jazza - /ic/, /co/, and the drawfags on your boards of choice can suggest more). Draw even more.

Oh, did I forget to mention draw more?

posemaniacs.com is a good resource for anatomy practice. Drawing from life is better if you can find an affordable life drawing class, or even just get someone to pose for you (since they'll probably be clothed, this is hardmode, but that's not a bad thing).

The classic books are good - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, The Natural Way to Draw, Loomis.

Art school's all fine and good if you can afford it, but most people are more concerned with your portfolio plus it's pretentious as fuck.

If you plan to draw for money, plan to draw some yiff in the future since that's where a lot of the commission money is at. Just be glad you probably won't have to take physical cash from the hands of those customers.
>>
fellow depressed artist, approaching 27 with no art degree but a useless other degree
don't rely on other people to fuel your progress. if you want to get better do it for yourself, not for the recognition. if you hit sudden ""fame"" you'll stick to whatever gets you likes and you won't grow or expand. don't worry about pleasing people. get a job, treat your depression, and make art your passion until you can turn it into something else. get a degree in a field with lots of potential growth that isn't so saturated that you will drown in a sea of other people. create your own style, make your work stand out.
the pic you've posted shows alot of potential but you should shy away from animu while you're still honing your own style. you have to learn the rules before you can bend them to something you made, feel me?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.