[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Be honest /adv/ do I not have what it takes to be a lawyer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: just-say-no-to-law-school.png (11KB, 178x178px) Image search: [Google]
just-say-no-to-law-school.png
11KB, 178x178px
ITT: Be honest /adv/ do I not have what it takes to be a lawyer?

Today, I had my first debate for my pre-law course in college. I wound up getting in front of the class, freezing up from stage fright, and representing the side I was supposed to be in opposition of. People laughed and one girl even loudly exclaimed "What the fuck is she doing?" I was absolutely mortified by the time it occurred to me what I had done wrong. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed now and everybody is going to just assume I'm a moron from here on out in that class.

I should have known it was a stupid idea, but later on I posted in our online group asking if people would like me to post some great study material I had found and wanted to share. Well the teacher immediately hopped on and posted a condescending note that people needed to learn to understand what was in our chosen material for the class and then deleted my post.

Now I feel like complete and utter shit. I'm beyond embarrassed and I don't even want to go back to that class now. Luckily Pre-Law is only my minor, not my major. I'm thinking just based on how emotional I am over what happened that I should probably just cut my losses now as I've only taken this one class in the minor.

Other than this experience, overall the people in pre-law are not the kind of people I'd want to associate with. They all seem to have "holier than thou" attitudes and act like sharks. My confidence has already fallen through the floor as I'm typically an honors student and well thought of.

I don't feel this way in my classes for my major (Healthcare Sciences) and I happen to be doing very well those in those.
>>
>>18011109
The biggest part of being a lawyer is memorization.

Can you do that?
Once you understand that then the rest is trivial
Those bitches laughing at you? Can they memorize like you do?
Confidence is from the ground up
>>
>>18011109
Lawyering is not just about advocacy. You could work as a lawyer and never public speak again. So dont worry.
>>
>>18011146
This

I have several friends that are personal injury attorneys. They rarely ever go to court because most of the cases end in settlement before they even take off.

They're making money too.
>>
Dunno why they'd have a holier than thou attitude.

Most lawyers end up as total plebs working long hours and making shit money.
>>
>>18011151
>>18011146
>>18011116
Thank you for your thoughts, I hadn't really considered the idea that I could be a lawyer without the element of a whole lot of public speaking. I was planning to take a speech class in the following semesters because it's a skill I think is essential for any degree, I just haven't actually gotten to that point yet.

It just seemed like everybody who debated after me was already super comfortable speaking in front of others and I looked like the misguided student who would never make it in law
>>
>>18011162

You know, they're the type of kids who think they're all hotshots and better than everybody else for wanting to become lawyers. For some reason there's an assumption among most of them that lawyer is on the same level as rocket scientist or brain surgeon and they all assume they'll become famous off of it.
>>
>>18011109

Look for a career with good life/work balance.
You like healthcare science? I know radiology techs that seem to be real happy: it's a steady 9 to 5 job that means you have time to marry, have kids and not worry about work after work. Being a doctor is all-consuming, stressful and takes ages to pay off.
>>
I know this is cliche advice, but I wouldn't sweat it. Which pre-law class? That could range all the way down to Government 101.

I have a degree in Chemistry. There were a lot of idiots in the Intro Chem courses because half of the class were Chad bros and dumb blondes thinking they could be doctors; it oversaturated the classes and screwed a lot of Chem majors over.

My point is, don't worry about the idiots and the naysayers. The real mature people make it through (usually).

Though, I could be completely ignorant on the culture of law people and everyone could be like that...
>>
>>18011187
It's Law and the Courts
>>
>>18011183
Well the actual degree is Healthcare Administration. I'd really like to work in some kind of research field tracking diseases or such.
>>
>>18011109

This suggestion might sound funny, but it's a honest suggestion.

Watch this video and focus on her confidence and her tone of speech. Remember, she's not a politician, so her, speaking on a stage in front of tens of thousands of people and on TV infront of tens of millions is not something she's used to. She's a very powerful speaker. Just listen to her power, speed, and confidence. Try to instill that in yourself. It might really help you.

https://youtu.be/YAksO-_uibs
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.