[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computers or medical ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 0567_-_UmDxEfq.png (63KB, 350x338px) Image search: [Google]
0567_-_UmDxEfq.png
63KB, 350x338px
I told my mom I was going to college to be a doctor but now I want to go for computers

>Which is the better option
>>
If you don't want to be a doctor, then don't be a doctor. It's not for everyone, and it's not a decision you can just 'put up with' for the rest of your life
>>
Don't trap yourself in something that you don't want to do. You'll be miserable and unfulfilled for the rest of your life. You are here to please yourself not to please your parents or other people. Do what makes you happy. They might not understand right off the bat but they're your parents they'll come to understand eventually.
>>
>>18007110
Those are pretty different majors and lives.

Pre-med and med school are grueling and unforgiving. You will be worked to the bone in school then worked to the bone some more at a hospital then worked to the bone yet again until you get a private practice offer.

By computers I assume you mean programming and not electrical engineering; the workload requires certain special skills but is obviously much lighter than med school. That said there's also nowhere near the demand and you'll likely need to teach yourself languages that are actually relevant to job openings.

Regardless, you should really take a while to investigate whether you'd really want to live the lifestyles either of those two degrees lead to. It sounds to me like you're yet another kid going to college because "it's just what you do" who's at high risk of burnout.
>>
>>18007136
I'm mainly going to get a good paying job but I'm not sure if I should go
>>
>>18007158
>I'm mainly going to get a good paying job
This was my motivation when I entered the engineering program at UF on a full scholarship.

I was absolutely miserable and wound up getting kicked out of school for too many failing grades (caused mainly by violating the 5-absence auto-F policy)

Everything worked out because I'm really smart and lucky and connected so a degree wasn't actually necessary for me to make good money, but without the scholarship and in-state tuition I'd be under a mountain of debt right now with no paper to show for it.

I'm not gonna tell you what to do, but I am gonna tell you that you need to be personally motivated to get your degree beyond a general desire for a good life.
>>
>>18007164
I actually wasn't about to go at all but I thought it was necessary to have money for the basic necessities of life
>>
>>18007176
No, that's just a line. A very common line fed by well-intentioned people, but a line nonetheless.

There are absolutely alternatives to a college degree. The most popular suggestion is getting an education from a trade school to get a job as a mechanic, electrician, plumber, etc.

You should also know that unless you're in a highly specialized field like medicine or engineering no one cares about your schooling after your first hire.
>>
What attracts you from computing?
>>
>>18007110
Medical is a shit field

so is being a cubicle monkey
>>
>>18007158
>I'm mainly going to get a good paying job
>medicine
This is how alcoholic depressed doctors are made and there's a lot of those. If you're not genuinely interested in the science and art of medicine, it's not worth it. If you want a good paying job in a health-related field, you're better off becoming a pharmacist.
>>
>>18007110
Whichever you like more.
>>
>Which is the better option
Whichever is the one you want to do.

If you love both you could even do biomedical tech stuff.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.