[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Payrise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Anyone have any tips for writing a letter to request a payrise? Specifically for a small company where it doesn't make sense just to spout buzzwords like every example I seem to read online. Any things to avoid or things that have helped would be appreciated.

Some background - I work as a developer at a very small (and unorganised) software house. I was struggling to find work in this field when I started so I accepted a very low salary expecting it to go up after a review. That didn't happen, and after over a year my pay hasn't changed. I've been talking to recruiters here and there about other options.

I like the atmosphere at work and the projects we do but I'm seriously earning not much over minimum wage - I don't think the base salary has been adjusted for inflation for a long time. I could realistically be doing this for more than double it somewhere else. The low pay affects where I'm able to live, what food I can buy, and seriously limits any luxuries or ability to save. People are shocked to hear it when I tell them how much, they ask me how I can even manage to live (I'm quite good at budgeting.) So the problem is that a respectable increase would be huge and not a matter of asking for 10% or something. Am I fucked?. Should I just go somewhere else?
>>
>>18004346
>I work as a developer at a very small (and unorganised) software house

Fellow dev here,

I used to work for a small company too and went your route, asked my boss for a raise (because i did 75% of the work) and he politely refused. I knew the company was making enough money to give me the raise i wanted (deserved, honestly) but he didn't want to give me a raise at all. So i told him that i leaving, because i wasn't being compensated for all the work i did on top of what my actual job description initially described.

Less than a week later i landed a job at a large firm with career potential, and a year later i earned double what i did before.

tl;dr don't ask for raises at a small company, find a company that's willing to pay according to your expertise
>>
Dont write a letter, schedule a face to face meeting with your boss, or whoever owns your payroll. The problem is 1 year isnt a very long time; basically nothing, so a large raise doesnt seem like itll be on the table unless your boss/managers like you and the work you do. Also youre doing good by keeping your eyes open for better opportunities. If you find something better by all means go for it!
>>
>>18004365
Wow yeah that is a very similar situation to mine. I'm technically a junior, but I'm doing way more. Other programmers who are above me in title (and no doubt pay) ask me to help them with small stuff all the time, I'm also now writing documentation to help other developers do what I'm doing. Plus I'm frequently raked into these weird high level meetings with project management / process guys (because none of them have the technical aptitude to understand wrist their processes actually are) so not really junior stuff anymore.
>>18004392
I've talked with my direct boss a number of times, he put a word through but I've now specifically been instructed to write a letter.
>>
>>18004411
I can't emphasize what i'm about to say more than this
>Companies want young prospects, grab the best paying one
Junior or not, if you have the skill, the mindset and preferably the diploma's you can get yourself an awesome job without too much effort. The company i switched to gave me the possibility to actually stop living like i did through uni, on whatever cash was left.

People always say money doesn't make you happy. Personally, i think it does play a part in becoming content.
>>
>>18004445
Wise words. I think you're right that it probably is time to leave. I suppose the tactful thing to do would be not to ask for a large increase as there's more chance of me actually getting it, but ultimately I'll be looking to shoot off and find something larger. This pay thing has become a bit of a complex for me, like a personal mission, but honestly even if I got it I don't think I have a real sense of progression at this place. They probably know it too.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.