[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Private religious schools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (60KB, 396x377px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
60KB, 396x377px
Hey adv, wondering if anyone can give me some insight about US private/catholic schools if you've got first hand experience.
I'm a college education major, so I'm starting my field experience soon. I've been placed to teach in this Lutheran private school, but as someone who is completely unreligious and went to public school, I haven't the slightest in what to expect. I won't lie, it makes me really nervous. I'm rather respectful of all religious beliefs so long as they're respectful of my non beliefs, but I mean I'm obviously going to be a minority there.
How intertwined is the religious aspect into normal subjects? I'll be teaching history most likely. Will I have difficulties getting my students to pay attention/respect me if they find out I know nothing about their faith/don't believe? Should I try to fake it?
Some of my fellow college students who went to private schools have mentioned that sometimes parents send their kids there solely for the private school aspect, rather than the religious, so I might not be the only "nonbeliever" there so to speak. Is that true?
>>
>>18003403
My mom attended catholic school. She told there were also Jewish kids there.

You won't be alone because as a teacher you will be associated with the other teachers.
>>
>>18003429
Yeah, I'm going to meet my cooperating teacher this week. She's also a bit of a hurdle though since I have no clue what she'll be like or how devout she is or how open she'll be to people who don't share her faith.
Like worse cast scenario she's one of those holier than thou types who reject and shun anyone who doesn't believe and then make my placement hell. Idk, I'm sure she'll be professional, I've just always been the "Assume the worst and prepare for that" type.
I'm just nervous about going into something I'm unfamiliar with. I know thats exactly why we were placed this way though. They purposely placed all the students who went to public schools when they were in high school to private schools, and vice versa, to give us wider experience with schooling.
>>
>>18003403
It depends on where you are really. I went to Catholic school kindergarten through high school, but I was in a very liberal city and even most of the kids I met in high school weren't particularly religious. Religion never even came into place in our history classes unless it was relevant to the discussion (ie discussing aspects of Protestant beliefs when studying early American history).
>Will I have difficulties getting my students to pay attention/respect me if they find out I know nothing about their faith
Any teacher who teaches something they know nothing about will have trouble getting respect.
>Should I try to fake it
No, they'll pick up on that.
>Sometimes parents send their kids there solely for the private school aspect
This was very true in my case.
>>
Cant you just ask for another assisgnment? I will never understand why you people have to invade spaces.
why do jews even sign up for xristian things. It just makes it less special. You dont stop being a jew just because you bully your way in.
I dont know your background but just find a public school. It will make you more well rounded anyway.
>>
>>18003403
I got stuck in a creationist private high school for a year and a half.

It's a cult, man. I don't know how normal religious schools work, but my creationist classmates were just insane. The teachers were even more insane, I remember my """""""""science"""""""""" teacher would ramble endlessly on and on about the "evil" evolutionists, and their dastardly plot to destroy christianity.

I hated it there. I should have protested, demanded my parents that I be put in a different school, but I didn't. Maybe one day I'll go back there, just for kicks, so that I can tell the whole school some edgy /pol/ thing like "Creationism is a jewish plot to degrade and destroy Christianity", just to piss them off.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.