[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a psychologist worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1483941135998.jpg (435KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483941135998.jpg
435KB, 1080x1080px
I'm 18, have had severe depression throughout adolescence and an anxiety that manifests in hypochondria. I'm very wary of mental health things, because they're often very dismissive because of my age.

I was once referred to a mental health nurse by my doctor, who could refer me to a psychologist.
Basically went like this:
>"Oh anon, you stay up late having anxiety attacks about being sick and dying, and you're deeply depressed and hate the world?"
>"pretty much"
>"the solution is simple-just be positive and optimistic and do yoga."
I never went back.

So my question is this- is seeing someone worth it, or are they ultimately a patronising and costly waste of time?
>>
stupid question but how do you know your depression isnt part of your hypochondria?
>>
>>18002904
Hypochondria generally diagnoses things which are not there. However, I have many symptoms of depression, and, well, feel hopeless and depressed. I'm fairly sure (?) all that wouldn't be psychosomatic.
>>
>>18002899
As in any job, some psychologists are shit. Others are great. Most are okay.

If you find one that is at least okay - it's worth it.
It may take a few tries, few psychologists, to find one you'll "click" with.
Do some research on "how to spot a good/bad psychologist/psychotherapist", it may be useful.
>>
>>18002913
Alright, thanks.
>>
Hipochondria? If you are a healthy person that'a pretty weird. Attention seeking maybe? Do you feel lonely? Tell us more about your life. I have the impression that you aren't completely honest. Narcisist personality disorder maybe? Anyhow, go to a new psychologist and speak sincerely. Don't act like you think you have any disease if you clearly don't know enough information about it.
>>
>>18002921
How am I not honest?
The hypochondria is an anxiety thing. I don't tell people about it, nor do I have the desire to. I've never told anyone about any of this, ever, and outwardly present a false persona of cheeriness to the world.

I know logically that I can't diagnose myself with anything like cancer. It's a panic thing. I just get consumed by this conviction that I'm going to die of some disease.

>Narcisist personality disorder maybe?
I'm a very empathic, meek and kind person to people (according to friends). I'm no narcissist.
>>
Psychiatrists/psychologists are just modern day witchdoctors
>>
>>18002922
I wouldn't worry about any kind of personality disorders; at least not from what you said here.

Anxiety about health happens, sometimes it leads to panic attacks, which then strenghten your fear of sickness, which leads to more anxiety, which leads to more panic attacks...
it's a vicious circle, which can be broken and you can learn to live well.
I would recommend an Acceptance and Commitment therapist if you can afford one/find one in your area - ACT is good in dealing with anxiety and depression and at same time can help you live your life well and align yourself with your values, which also may be useful.
>>
>>18002943
Alright, thank you so much anon.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.