[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Payroll hijinks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

I've worked at a little cafe at an event venue for a bit under a year. In the warmer months, we can be quite busy, but Winter is always dead. I'm told that we have to stay open year-round by contract, which is easy to believe given how little work I do during the Winter.

I started at $10/hr, but since 2017 began, I've been getting cash payment with no stub that comes out to around $8.50/hr. It's sort of a drag, of course, but I'm not the type to complain about getting paid to shitpost, do homework, and smoke cigarettes. Come next week, I'll be doing it every day, cuz the only other employee (who is also related to the boss) just quit. Which leads me to wonder... should I be looking for another job?

Laying about (literally. I have a couch at work) and eating cheeseburgers would kick ass at $5/hr, but this stuff seems pretty shady, especially when my boss hasn't spoken to me about any of it. Pretty sure this kinda stuff is illegal, but I don't get the feeling that going to the Dept. of Labor will accomplish anything but losing me the cushiest job ever.

Is there any way I could use this situation to my advantage? Is there anything I need to do to cover my own ass? I'd go to an employment lawyer but...

>$8.50/hr
>>
what is shady about it?

under the table jobs are not unusual for small businesses.

Find another job if you want to be able to put the experience on your resume. Otherwise stick with it if all you want is money while you're still studying.
>>
>>18002531

hard to say. no advice we can give would offer you something solid, as even if you do get what oyu want for the time being, you'd just end up getitng let go at the first legit chance he gets, and seeing as you're being paid to sit around and do nothing they could easily let you go saying you havent been wokring hard, and they know you wont bother sueing.

id talk to the boss regardless cuz its not fair.
>>
Is this in America? In any country a payment by cash with no stub sounds illegal as fuck.

IMO ask for a raise. The other guy left so you're more valuable to keep. If someone else needs to be hired, your boss will have to spend all that money training them up, which will cost her time, and therefore money. And they won't be as good cuz they're new. It's easier to just pay you an extra $1.50 to stay. Just inquire about your lost income, plus backpay, plus it's time for a raise as the year "rolls over".
>>
>>18002566
It is illegal, but it's also common to get paid off the books (under the table). It's not really shady except for the sudden change and decrease in pay. He may be getting less money because of no taxes.
>>
>>18002554
Getting a 15% pay cut without notice is shady, along with having no record of it, and the only other employee (who would have inside info if it were available) quitting the second time it happened. Again, not really complaining, but the noggin's joggin'.

>>18002566
I'm thinking most along these lines. But I feel I've been outplayed, too. The boss regularly offers me shifts at the full service restaurant, where I always get $10/cash. I'm starting to suspect that this is a cross between my boss being a miserly bastard, needing more help at his main restaurant, and minimizing the raise I get when I start training/managing this Spring. Check and mate. I've been 4D Jewed.

Oh well. I like my job and my boss and I need more kitchen experience, for which I would almost certainly get $10/hr. I was a little worried the cafe might be getting the axe or my boss is bleeding money or something. Surely possible, but I'm more inclined to think otherwise.

Thanks for the input everybody. Been getting too shitfaced, too often lately. It's got me zoned out and unnerved about everything, but I think I've got a better understanding of the situation now.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.