[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: toshiro.jpg (43KB, 500x568px) Image search: [Google]
toshiro.jpg
43KB, 500x568px
How much japanese would I need to know to understand it, communicate online with japanese? I need to learn hiragana yes, I've got no interest in learning how to talk japanese. Just type and understand japanese
I've been studying it about a week and have got a basic understanding of hiragana, and I've been talking to a few native japanese speakers online and they've been helping me
I've heard you can be "fluent" in Japanese in 6 month
I've got lots of time.
I do about 45 min a day memorizing the hiragana
>>
>>18002172

hiragana is like learning the alphabet, its good if you're reading a childrens book, but not much else. kanji is where most of the language happens.

it would take far more than six months to be fluent, 6 months would be a couple of drops in the water, especially if learning on your own.
>>
>>18002180
The person I talk to said he uses romaji more than kana
I was told to first learn hiragana, then move on to katakana then kanji
Is that a good order?
>>
>>18002202

thats the correct order, though you tend to learn kanji kidna at the same time as katakana.

>romanji

in what context?
>>
>>18002207
Typing romaji
Not typing in hiragana.
He said most japanese type in romaji but for everything else is kana
>>
>>18002210

that doesn't sound right to me, if hes living in japan, their phones have hiragana keyboards and as you type using hiragana, the potential kanji symbols appear above it (kinda like autocorrect / auto complete for the american alphabet).

>for everything else is kana

do you mean katakana ? because thats used specifically for words in other languages.
>>
>>18002214
He lives in Japan
I asked him if he uses kana or romaji
Apparently kana is both hiragana and katana, the Japanese alphabet while romaji is English alphabet and he said he uses it mostly online
Maybe he misunderstood since he doesn't speak English and has been using translate for what I've been saying
>>
>>18002223

so did i, granted it was almost 8 years ago, but when i was there people werent ranomly using the english alphabet for japanese words. that would just make things confusing.

if he doesn't even speak english why woudl he have memorized the english alphabet and use that for japanese words?
>>
>>18002228
Yeah you're probably right
So is it better to forget romaji for now and just learn kana? I've been using memrise for it and it's good so far, anything else online you'd recommend
>>
>>18002231

dont bother using katakana if you're just talking to people online, its just learning an entire second alphabet for words you will naturally recognize.

learn hiragana athen move on to kanji
>>
>>18002231
Stop using romaji immediately. Japanese websites and Japanese people rarely, if ever, use romaji over hiragana and kanji. Learn the Jōyō kanji, those are most commonly used and helpful.

Start memorizing set phrases, verbs, and the basic conjugation forms (short form, te form, desu/masu. Don't bother with keigo)

大学で二年間日本語を勉強してる。頑張って
>>
>>18002316
Luckily I haven't been learning romaji, just hiragana
So after hiragana move to kanji?
I know this may sound dumb but after I've memorized all hiragana how will I learn the vocabulary?
>>
>>18002358
Hiragana is phonetic, just memorize hiragana in relation to English meaning.
Like にほんご= 日本語=Japanese language
Get a dictionary, order a textbook to do self-study, use google translate, whatever.
>>
>>18002358
Japanese vocabulary (like Chinese) is full of homophones. So it is difficult to get a 'foothold' in Japanese, because so many words sound the same. At the same time you are learning hiragana/katakana you should be learning some basic kanji like 本 中 国, etc.

I would honestly focus on learning the kanji as well as some basic vocabulary, when you know a fair amount of kanji move onto more diverse things.
>>
>>18002435
Hey OP, I lived for 2 years in Tokyo and I'm now living in Kobe. I studied Japanese in university (awfully), then in a language school in Japan. I'm ""fluent"". N2~ level. Japanese is very hard, good luck.
>>
Why are you here? There are daily japanese threads on /int/ and /jp/
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.