[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Basic living is too overwhelming for me Every day I have to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

Basic living is too overwhelming for me

Every day I have to make food and clean and shower and drink water and then there's laundry to do

I usually dont shower or clean or do laundry unless I absolutely have to because I just don't have the energy

when I think about all this stuff I have to do and how it never ends I just end up crying. I cant go to lectures I cant really leave my room even without monumental effort

Help?
>>
File: photo_2712.jpg (68KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2712.jpg
68KB, 720x540px
>>18000741
I used to have the same problem. It is hard when you are living alone. You need to relax and give yourself credit.

Look up some time management guides on Google, maybe a WikiHow article? There are all sorts of ways to cut time on things. I would show you a very insightful TED Talk about time management but no one ever reads the articles I send to them, so I'm not going to drop it unless you express interest. You need to want to improve this aspect.

If you can make each task a little faster, take up a little less time, do it faster then you're on the right track. Optimization is key here. Scheduling is key. Personally, I have a little routine. once you get in a routine it gets easier and easier.

keep trying, be positive.
>>
>>18000756
May I please have the TED talks?
>>
>>18000741
I don't really have a solution, but I'll say that I feel for you anon. I struggle with the same thing.
How I've been coping a bit is lowering my expectations. I only shower about twice a week. I use a lot of dry shampoo. I only eat hard boiled eggs, canned soup, yogurt, granola microwave meals - anything quick. I lay out my clothes every night so I don't have to scrounge for matching socks when I'm tired in the morning. I carry my tooth brush in my backpack so I can do it at work, since I won't get up early enough to do it at home.
It doesn't always work out the best, but I get by.

Adderall and antidepressants help me a lot.
>>
File: sartre.jpg (189KB, 1135x851px) Image search: [Google]
sartre.jpg
189KB, 1135x851px
>>18000741
It depends what the roots of your problems are.

Did you consider therapy?

Maybe you're just overwhelmed, maybe it's something more serious. Don't ignore your symptoms.
>>
>>18001992
>Maybe you're just overwhelmed
What would the solution to this be?
>>
>>18002015
More relaxing time inbetween your duties.
Relaxing bath. Music. Some time on the balcony. Pretty cliches, but after years of depression / bipolar disorder (apart from therapy and depression) I do think it works.
>>
>>18002032
I kind of feel like I spend too much time relaxing and procrastinating.
>>
>>18002034
Plan more?
and stick to that.

It took me months to start some exercising. Now I do it everyday. But again, I am after 9 months of therapy. How old are you?
>>
>>18002045
I'm not OP, by the way. I'm this anon >>18001968
I'm 21.
>>
>>18000741
I have this problem too. I've found that if I can tie in something I enjoy it gets a lot better. For instance, I'm a big music guy but I almost never make the time to listen to new albums. I've found that doing laundry and making my bed takes about the timespan of a decent album, so I got myself some nice headphones and put that shit on while I'm doing my chores.

That way, I'm accomplishing something I really enjoy as I'm taking care of the mundanities of normal life. It's like I'm putting that time to even better use.

Or you could just rail adderall idk
>>
>>18000741
Instead of cooking every day then just do a big batch once or twice a week and eat leftovers

Instead of showering every day then shower every other day. If showering is overwhelming you seek professional help

i can't imagine any kind of existence where you need to do laundry more than once a week, but those are families. Buy more clothes.

Instead of cleaning then just don't be messy. When you need to actually clean shit up then it won't be an ordeal.

Are you really bitching about having to drink water every day? What is your malfunction?
>>
>>18002062
>Are you really bitching about having to drink water every day? What is your malfunction?
OP's trying to refer to how you're never "complete" with taking care of your body, environment, and life. You have to keep doing things, every day, over and over again, forever.
For someone who would rather lay in bed and wait until one's bladder is screaming than put the effort into getting up, these are all rather overwhelming.
>>
>>18000756
Anon please post the ted talk
>>
>>18000741

I used to be like this. The problem for me was thinking that my life was supposed to be about constantly enjoying myself. If I wasn't enjoying myself, playing video games or posting on 4chan or whatever, then I felt resentful towards whatever it was that I had to be doing (cooking, cleaning, grooming myself).
Over time I switched my mind set to just wanting to improve my life. When my focus was on improving my life instead of pleasuring myself, those tasks became easy, because I wanted to do them.

Find some lofty goals you want to work towards. Cut everything out of your life that doesn't contribute to those goals.
>>
>>18002104
>When my focus was on improving my life instead of pleasuring myself, those tasks became easy, because I wanted to do them.
>Find some lofty goals you want to work towards
Can you tell me more about this? What kind of goals have you set for yourself? How are you defining an improved life?
>>
Get the edge brah

Tony Robbins
>>
>>18002122

Figure out the job you want to have, or the business you want to start, and the skills you'll need to accomplish that.
Make a plan: where do you want to be in 3 months, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, etc.
Also make daily plans.
Make a list of all the shit you need to do to fix your life right now, and if the tasks seem daunting break them down into even smaller tasks.
Look into pomodoro technique - it's much easier to commit to doing something for 30 minutes than trying to will yourself to start working on something that will take 10 hours.

Once you start being productive, you'll feel good about it and you'll have momentum, it'll get a lot easier. Once the productivity is a habit then you'll look back at the times you used to sit around jerking off and doing fuck all and wonder what the fuck was wrong with yourself.
Hardest part is getting started, really.
>>
File: 1473412260970.jpg (19KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
1473412260970.jpg
19KB, 222x293px
>>18002287
fucking spot on
>>
>>18000741
One way to make routine tasks less overwhelming is to make them routine. If you set up a morning ritual in which getting out of bed, having breakfast, shaving and showering, etc (in whatever order works for you) is all one continuous movement, it will become automatic and not requiring the conscious thought that can make it seem overwhelming. The same is true if Saturday morning (say) consists of automatic laundry, changing linens and whatever else, all as an unthinking routine.
>>
>>18002104
While this probably should be obvious to everyone, it wasn't for me. Thanks for that insight anon, I mean it.
>>
I actually kinda know what you mean - not really qualified to help but if I'm feeling a bit down about routine shit I have to do, then I just focus on the positive aspecs of it

>drinking water = great, much better than consuming lots of empty calories from coke/irn bru or whatever; helps regulate all my body processes
>showering + shaving + aftershave + deoderant = great, I'm not going to smell like shit at work or if i go outside or even to myself
>doing the dishes = great, that's out the way, I won't have to do it again and if I feel like making a meal later then I can do that and use those nice clean dishes + cutlery, or if not then I can get a takeaway pizza and that means I can eat out the box and save on washing again

idk, but I always try thinking about the positive aspects of simple shit that needs done rather than that i'm going to have to do it all again before too long
>>
>>18000741
just make some rice with a rice cooker and fry some vegetables for 40 mins with oil and pepper and make the meat really skinny on low fire like needle size (hyperbole)
>>
thanks everyone.
>>
>>18000741
>Every day I have to make food and clean and shower and drink water and then there's laundry to do
THIS IS SO FUCKIG MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree with u, op
>>
>>18004847
I thought I was the only one struggling

I mean, it never ends.
>>
>>18000741
I am definately going through the same thing as you OP.

>>18004847
>>18004917
Maybe we should make a group to help each other grow.

Oh another question. Do you feel a kind of sick feeling in your nose and your head whenever you feel overwhelmed?
>>
>>18004925
>Do you feel a kind of sick feeling in your nose and your head whenever you feel overwhelmed?
no

maybe u have some problems with nosal system or/and neck? are you using a laptop? laprops are very unhealty for your neck
>>
>>18004925
I'm up for making a group
>>
you fags... your parents must have been really shitty, and/or you are really lazy

anyway, here are some tips:
- shower takes like 10-15 mins and you'll feel fresh and clean, what's so bad about it?
- food... you have to eat. cooking sucks, but sometimes you need to do it. also, >>18002062 . you could also find a cheap restaurant/buffet/something and eat there.

drink water? drink juice, tea, whatever...

laundry? just do it once a week or every other week. don't use your clothes for only a day or something, that's just wasting resources needlessly imo. I mean, your clothes won't get dirty that fast... that is, unless you are a dirty fuck and don't shower daily..
>>
>>18004991
>- shower takes like 10-15 mins and you'll feel fresh and clean, what's so bad about it?

You have to find clean clothes to wear then scrub your whole body and shave and dry yourself then put new clothes on

I'm wiped out of willpower after doing all that
>>
>>18005002
are you sure you don't have medical/mental problems? you sound really depressed, low energy or something.

btw, I had cancer... and I felt just like that, reaaally low energy, barely could even walk or shower. turns out I had a big tumor that was, among other things, pushing one of my lungs.

anyway, if you want to check your physical health or something, get a thermometer and, if possible, a blood pressure meter. if you don't know what normal temps/pressure should be, just google it

also, don't ever feel ashamed or scared of visiting doctors. they are there to help people. they've seen lots of shit, so you shouldn't care if you have some odd physical problem or something and feel ashamed of it.

sorry for the rant, but, again, I had cancer, I was dumb enough to let time pass, and that wasn't something I wish to anyone.
>>
>>18004951
I'll try to make a discord give me a few minutes. Will post back here.
>>
>>18005031
Alright here it is.

Self Improvement Support Group
https://discord.gg/WWFh9
>>
>>18005018
I've had blood tests done, they said everything was fine

But I always have a low grade temperature all the time

But I have really bad neurological problems like seeing white/blue/black flashing lights and pins and needles and stuff
>>
>>18000741
>Every day I have to make food and clean and shower and drink water and then there's laundry to do
Oh my goodness (^o^) I am sooooooo scandalized!!!

How totally atrocious it is to have to butcher a chicken and pluck it's feathers... not to mention the utter absolute drag on your life that it is to transport your person to the nearest chicken selling market... I bet you even have to eat the food after you make it and even wash the dishes... What a yucky lifestyle you have.

I don't know how you can manage life after that food turns into poop... I can only hope that you also don't have to wipe your own butt too.

You sound just like my wife before she got married... wanted a puppy and then wanted to offer it to the neighbour when it began barking... also wanted a baby and then wanted to give it to her parents when it began pooping

* facepalm *

Probably another girl raised under mother hen's wing inside a glass dome. Due to the terrible job my in-laws did in raising a daughter, it took my wife 6 years suffering to withdraw from psychotic habits before beginning to be able to match the reality of the environment surrounding her with her mental perception enough to be able to have a semblance of balance and lasting happiness.

You problem is not the food nor the cleaning nor the shower nor any of that (just a clue to see if can catch it).

You would be a perfect candidate for wife swap... (try to watch the ones that depict reality, not the fake ones produced for television showmanship purposes).
>>
>>18005080
You're insane.
>>
>>18000741
OP, there's a reason all US universities offer free counseling services.
Go see the counselor.
>>
You may have an issue with time management

get some sort of calendar or schedule app/program, or just write it out and stick it on your wall.

Every night plan out the next day down to the half-hour. Not only will the stress of not knowing whether you'll have time to do everything be lifted, you'll feel gratified when you stick to the schedule
>>
>>18000762
You know that they let any moron give a TED talk right?
It got exposed that they do no background checks so yeah that guy you think is a surgeon could very well be a scam artist
>>
>>18006082
You can call people insane as much as you want... But one thing is for sure...

At least here at home there's no need for us to waste a third of our income on medication/shrinks/family planning and counseling just to get the floor swiped, the kids to bed in time or a bath taken... kekek

Seriously OP, that one made me laugh... I understand perfectly what you are going through and sympathize with your situation as I've been in it myself countless times... but for goodness sake, it's called life. You get some perspective on yours because those emotions your feeling are a symptom, not the cause.

Dealing with such basic living demands are part of transitioning from childhood to adulthood... and as much as one would like to be helpful, it is pretty darn hard to help someone who hasn't the foggiest clue on how to manage something that most people learn to manage during their teenage years.

Here at home I got my youngest 14yo daughter feeding her pets first thing in the morning, then opening the property gate, putting the kettle on for us to cook breakfast and she even waters the plants on the prch once a week out of her own innitiative...

And unlike OP, it's not because of these tiny daily chores that she cannot find fulfillment in life... in fact, in these last three years I've taught her piano, astronomy, painting and cycling and even got a crush on some boy.

Good luck to OP... I hope she can do it. but if not, professional help is always an option.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.