[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stereotypes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 426px-B03-074.jpg (123KB, 426x599px) Image search: [Google]
426px-B03-074.jpg
123KB, 426x599px
How can I break stereotypes, like for example im about 200 pounds, I play video games, I watch some anime also and in this society I am judged as a nerdy cringey loser, at first look people just think oh this kids creepy this kids cringey ignore him. Is the only way to break a stereotype just to get better looking? Like I know there are guys out there just like me with video games and anime and even worse but they are in shape and look decent so its cute that they have hobbies like that. Is my only choice just lose weight get in shape and itll change?
>>
>>17997567
/a/ has a concept known as hiding ones powerlevel, stick to that.
>>
>>17997567

your other choice is to not like those things, but being any sort of 'loser' is associated with fat so you should lose that anyways
>>
>>17997567
>Stereotype
>Description of you
Pick one

Stereotypes are an average, if you meet certain requirements people got an easy way of describing you. You can either be content with it , or if it bothers you; change your act.

>200 pounds
No clue how tall you are, but if you're anywhere under 6ft you're chubby / overweight.
Getting in shape is a perfect way of feeling better about yourself and in my honest opinion something everyone should do. Nobody is happy with being fat, nobody is healthy when they're fat.

Get help if you cant bring yourself to go there.
>>
>>17997571
Not op but just googled it and it's true

Just don't look autistic (example: full on weeb and gaym merch attire) or talk about it to people you barely know
>>
>>17997571
I dont just walk around saying stuff like that, I mean when people kinda get to know me a little more its mostly of a reaction like oh, yea im not surprised.

>>17997577
Those aren't the only things I like, but they are probably my favorite. Anime meh but mainly video games.

>>17997586
Yeah im 200 and only like 5'11 so im overweight I already knew that much lol. I cant get help to lose weight because I have no one that cares enough to push and im not gonna pay someone to do it.

>>17997592
I have like maybe 3 shirts with gaming stuff on it and I actually get complimented on it from random people in public but its not super cringey shit its nice designs based on the anime.

What I think I mainly want is for people to find out that I really like video games and actually be surprised about it lol. The reaction of most people either already expecting me to since I look like this or not surprised kinda hurts me.
>>
>>17997621

then lose weight.
>>
>>17997626
I already knew that much, just seeing if other people thought the same about it or had different views on stereotyping.
>>
Stereotyping is what makes people safe; they like to make am expectation about what to expect in a potential acquaintance, friend or mate. Unfortunately that's nothing a single person can change.

That being said, "more attractive" people get sterotyped in your field as well. I've been into several "nerdy" traits since I was little, including gaming, high-fantasy and some computer related stuff. Although I always know my shit, am serious about my hobbies and haven't ever been available or flirty (been in a steady relationship since my teens), I still get brushed off as a dumb blonde who can not possibly be genuine about what I do because of the way I dress and look. People often don't even give me a chance, because I don't match "the nerdy type". I dress too feminine and am too spontaneous for that, appareantly.

I handle this by ignoring them, being myself and simply focus on people who tend to act less shortsighted. But even when I befriend them, they later fess up they're amazed I'm not a simple ditz.

Stereotyping simply sucks, little you can do but to stay true to who you are to make sure you remain happy. Because in the end, that's what counts.
>>
>>17997621
My suggestion is if you're not willing to put in the work to loose weight is to just dress more fashionably. I love anime/videogames/nerdy activities yet I put a lot of work into my appearance. I've noticed a significant difference in how men and especially women treat me.
>>
>>17997706

> "more attractive"

Please mind you I don't want to sound offensive, just stereotyped myself right there
>>
>>17997714
never said I wasn't willing to put in work, I obviously am, but just wanted to hear different opinions on it.
>>
>>17997567
Go to the gym, dress better, eat better, stop wasting your time on consumption only hobbies.
>>
>>17997642
You aren't a stereotype, you're a lazy boring unattractive fuck.

Maybe you should change that.
>>
>>17997706
I'll tell you a little of something Iearned recently after I met a girl. She is skinny and fit like a small little 110 pound blonde girl. If you looked at her she doesn't look at all like a nerd. But she is the biggest memer, gamer i've ever met. Now the thing about her is she is embarrased about her nerdy side so she tries and hide it as much as possible. BUT alot of men like to play video games nowadays and would find that super attractive that she loves video games also. But if we were to reverse some things in this like lets say she was overweight, and showed some gamer girl a little more, most guys would say oh she's gross, she likes games and spends no time on herself. Completly ignore her, i've learned that recently its all about appearance and if you are in shape you can like whatever you want and most people will find it ok, but if your overweight and like something nerdy your a horrible cringey loser.
>>
>>17997763
Well technically that is the stereotype of gamers mainly, they are unattractive, lazy, sit home all day, and do nothing. So it kinda is a stereotype lol
>>
>>17997767

I was trying to get off the "cringey loser" stereotype and to let OP appreciate himself more for who he likes to be, rather than how he'd like others to perceive him. Same as your friend who doesn't show her nerdy hobbies; she should if that's what she wants. But you're entitled to your opinion. I get that the world gets easier if you conform to what's normal, but will it make you happier in the end?

Only thing I'd like to add is that I support the other commenters' advise to lose weight, not only because it'll probably make you more confident but mainly because it'll be better for your health.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.