[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do with time that won't distract me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1483390083393.jpg (106KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1483390083393.jpg
106KB, 480x360px
Hard to explain, but I'll try anyways. I've been trying to break the habit loop I've had over time during my free time, where I just do nothing, look at Youtube videos, go on 4chan, etc. etc., all things which promote distraction and not focus. I realize I don't really have too many things to do during the day, and I'm not sure how to fill up that time (as in, during break or weekends). To sum up, I'm trying to cut my internet addiction and fill it with other things

What are some healthy things to do? My apartment receives no light and is depressing, so I would like to leave, but it's expensive to find places to work in (coffee shops) and it's cheaper to stay at home and cook, but I hate my apartment. Should I just bear it and do other things anyways? Hope this question makes sense, it's personally hard to pinpoint exactly what I need, so any response is useful. Thanks in advance
>>
File: Pigs try to give it to you.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Pigs try to give it to you.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>17996376
I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

Maybe:
>Start reading (doesn't need to be fiction)
>Exercise (+outside)
>Volunteer (free +resume boost)
>Kill people (become hitman +money)

Basically find something better to do with your time that you will enjoy more. Also, you don't need to completely cut youtube and 4chan out, that may make it more difficult.
>>
i think i am searching for the same thing you are.
the thing that serves me best is to get my ass up and go visit family or friends. social interaction and you aren't just staying at home. summer is no problem. then i go for a run or swim in the river. or meet up with family for a bonfire. but winter is damn depressing. i hate staying outside because i am a weak pussy that can't tolerate the cold for long.
i try to run some errands to fight becoming a hermit. like getting new books from the library, washing the car or something.
if i'm home i obviously spend way too much time shitposting. i try to counter that with reading and playing piano. or i occupy myself with cooking or taking a bath. or masturbating...
i also go to bed early to cut down on time available to numb my mind with stuff.
i'm thinking about going back to school so i have something to study at home to fill my time with.
other people i know have hobbies. that helps. my sister does a lot of sewing. my brother is always working on some car. my brother in law is always doing something around the house like installing an aquarium/new sound system. my father spends his time with archery and salsa. i am like my mom. i have no real hobbies (ok, i play piano, read and love cooking, but meh).

guess we are just bland people without passion and that is boring af, even to us
>>
>>17996376
>>17996376

To add on in case this clears anything up, I'm looking for activities/habits that promote a clear mind/focus, things that'll keep my mind in a healthy state and promote happiness in whatever I do

I've read before that some great thinkers would take walks, which I could do, but I wonder if a social aspect might be missing. I've heard drawing randomly might help, I could imagine fiddling with random puzzles as well, or listening to music and not doing anything else...?

I realize I'm kind of mixing questions here, one dealing with productivity, another with what to do with my time, but I hope I'm making sense here (a little tired rn and have brain fog)
>>
>>17996432
i sometimes wander trough the woods and meditate there. i really love that. but i can only enjoy it in summer. sometimes i da that instead of dinner and take some picnic with me. i enjoy doing that alone.
drawing is nice too. but i am too frustrated with my lack of skills to actually push trough and learn some skills.
i feel like what you want is a meditative state. and all the activities i listed that my family does (i'm the anon that wrote above) get them in that state. for me, it's the piano mainly. i lose track of time and am very focused over a long period of time (i usually play around 2h). or take my brother for example. if he is working on his car, he forgets to eat because he is so caught up in what he's doing. i feel like everything that keeps you engaged in the presence is what you are looking for. same with archery. you can't be distracted if you want to get better
>>
>>17996457
oh and for music, i know that long drives at night plus awesome music is extremely relaxing to me. maybe start doing short trips over the weekend? drive friday night and come home sunday evening. i've done this before with my sister. even slept in the car. it was awesome
>>
>>17996457

Makes sense. There have been things I've wanted to get better at, but I get distracted and drop them out of lack of time management (procrastinating on work instead of working and getting x done). I also find wanting to get better at something a task in itself, not always too relaxing. (Like reading about chess and practicing)

Maybe fiddling with a Rubix cube?
>>
>>17996475
i guess the trick is to find something you actually enjoy doing and then get better at THAT. mastering something new is inherently satisfsctory on it's own and might become addictive. but that's a good addiction. it's called passion.
you will never find the discipline to get good at something if you don't think "hell yes this is awesome" whilst doing it.
not if you don't have to and do it in your free time.
you'll need some discipline, yes. that's actually very easy to understand but extremely hard to follow trough. you just guide yourself trough the steps of what you need to do. and then you do it. need to fold laundry? tell yourself to stand up, walk over, grab the basked, take the first piece etc.
don't try to take up something conpletely new to you. that is exhausting. that's why people often ask "what did you like to do as a kid?". because that's where dou have aquired some skills already and can build up on that instead of starting from scratch. it gives you a selfesteem boost and feels good, which keeps you going.
for time management, it helped me tremendously to actually write down how many hours i NEED for work, gettkng ready, chores, errands and then see what i have left (hint: it's more than you think...). then i could decide how to spend that time (allow some cushion time for stuff like being a lazy piece of shit and procrastination).
>>
>>17996376
Read philosophy

I fucking wish I had free time
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.