[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aid required in unfucking myself.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: hope.jpg (62KB, 500x627px) Image search: [Google]
hope.jpg
62KB, 500x627px
First, some background. It's a bit of a long story, but necessary to understand why exactly I may be concerned.

The problems begin around eight years ago, when I've finished my country's equivalent of high school - with quite good results, though that is irrelevant in the end. Lacking motivation or passion for anything, I chose to take a break rather than move on into university or vocational education - said break lasted nearly four years, during which I've done exceedingly little beyond a few feeble attempts at artistic pursuits which led nowhere. It ended when, spurred by my family, I finally paid a psychiatrist a visit and was diagnosed with depression. Though I was offered medical solutions, I declined, and instead chose to force myself to shape up - applying to a university and picking a major for which I was guaranteed to be accepted, though one falling under the broad umbrella of 'useless' ones. I cared less about future prospects and more about doing something with my life, at that time. The first two years went by in a flash, and quite well at that - I've hit a few snags when the depression relapsed particularly badly, but overall did quite well. Third year, not so much - I've failed nearly all courses solely by the virtue of a disgusting amount of lecture skipping (some of it justified, some far less so) and neglecting to study properly. At around the same time, my medical conditions (of which there are many) worsened, which led to the decision to take some time off rather than repeat the third year, in order to fix myself up to the best of my ability. The fixing up went well enough, all things considered, at least on the medical side. That isn't the problem. The problem, however, is the situation I find myself in right now.

[Continued]
>>
[Cont] I'm twenty six. Now, that isn't so bad by itself, nor even when considering my rather antisocial track record so far - I'm not overly bothered. What I am bothered by isn't the past, but the future. As I've said, I have selected the major based purely on the certainty of my application being accepted. I have no passion for the subject, and the careers available for those who graduate in it hold little appeal and even less profit - teaching earns about as much money in my country as it does respect from students. Which is to say, disgustingly little. To complicate matters, changing my major has two major obstacles - the first and direct being the necessity of passing an exam likely involving knowledge I've long since forgotten; the second being the fact that even now, I have little passion for any career I can think of. The latter is the lesser of the issues, despite what it may seem. I've managed to force myself to do things before, I could do it again... and statistically speaking, most people perform jobs they don't particularly enjoy.

Another problem, of course, is age. Not current age - but how old I would be by the time I'm done studying. Even should I continue with my current major, the sufficient education to land a 'proper' position would leave me at thirty - and if I change it, that'd bring that number up to thirty-three. Now, I don't know about other countries, but here, few if any employers would hire someone over thirty and with no experience in the given field for an entry-level position. Not without contacts I do not possess being called for, anyway.

To be quite honest, I find myself increasingly hopeless as time goes by. I feel like mistakes I've made as a dumb teenager have led to a situation where my future will involve a dead-end job that not only crushes my will to live (obligatory exaggeration), but also pays peanuts. And if I'm going to be a cog, I'd at least be well-paid, is all I'm saying.
>>
In conclusion. I'm not even entirely certain what advice I'm looking for - I just felt the need to try, at least. Anything is welcome, in the end... well, perhaps anything but feel-good messages with no substance, as there's plenty of those to be found.
>>
You'll be okay, despite what the internet makes it look like, most people actually struggle in life.
>>
Hey OP, I'm on a similar boat, dropped out at 19, just went back at 23, didn't do much but learning music during the time, which is good, but I still feel like I ruined my chances at a 'good life', keep feeling that I'm fuck up, will graduate too old in a field that's not very economically prosper, and just noticed my hair is thinning, while I'm surrounded by cute 18 year olds, and just got out of a long relationship. Also have sleep problems, pretty tired all the time and it's hard to keep myself motivated to foucus. I don't even have advice or an answer, just wanted to make it clear that you're not alone in feeling that way.
>>
>>17994207
I realize. It's less about the struggle and more where said struggle ends up. Before I decided to post my pseudo-rant here, I've searched for other people in similar situations - and what I found was far from inspiring. The two most common scenarios were ending up in the exact dead-end position I wish to avoid, or a stroke of fortune leading to finding a position close to what they wanted by accident - and the latter is, comparatively, very rare.

Now, to explain why I find the idea of a bad-paying job as abhorrent - I come from a poor family. We're talking 'better spend that money carefully if you want to eat' levels of poor. The only reason I could afford to study is government programs and the fact higher education in my country is cheap in the first place, mercifully far from the 'debt for life' system some others have. The last thing I want is to deal with money shortage for the rest of my life as well, is all.

>>17994215
Well, I hope things work out for you. Funnily enough (for a certain definition of 'funny'), I find myself slowly balding as well. Stress, I suppose, given no one in my extended family, even going three generations back, ever had early hair loss issues.

But at least that doesn't bother me too much. Never was one for relationships. Still, I feel you.
>>
I really wish I had advice to give. I'm in a slightly similar situation myself - 24, fucked myself out of job prospects. My country doesn't really do cheap higher education, though, nor does it have any real ways for adults to get it - so I'm basically shit out of luck.

To be honest, though, I'd deal with it better if my every attempt to solve it wasn't met with variations on "should have known better". Should I really? Should I really have known what I want to do with my whole life at fucking 18?

Sorry, salt spillage. But the point is, I get it, man. And I don't see a way out either.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.