[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad wants to claim me as a dependent on his taxes. I tell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1469926089105.jpg (9KB, 255x247px) Image search: [Google]
1469926089105.jpg
9KB, 255x247px
My dad wants to claim me as a dependent on his taxes. I tell him I don't want that, since I have the right to file my own taxes. Doing so would cause problems for me since I have certain things going for me that would result in me losing money or getting fined. Not to mention I'd have to lie on my return.

Another thing is that the IRS explicitly states that there are conditions to qualify/disqualify someone from being claimed. I meet disqualifications. So, to claim me, not only would my dad commit tax fraud, I'd be an accessory to his situation, while committing fraud on my own end, as well. I tell him this but he gets angry and tells me that I need to think about him and that he's "going to get screwed over by the IRS yet again."

While I do live with my parents, I feel that my dad is going to use this as an excuse to kick me out. If my dad were to threaten this, obviously, he cares more about money than me, right? Then there's the fact that he doesn't respect my autonomy. Should I feel guilty for cutting him out of my life, beyond all else he's done, if I were be kicked out over fucking money?
>>
>>17992489
honestly i don't believe the IRS checks up on this shit unless it's completely obvious, but, just do what ever is cheaper. if your dad claims you on taxes and gets caught its his fault anyway.
>>
What disqualifies you?
>>
>>17992489
a dependent is someone who receives more than half of their support from you. are you that to our dad? i.e. do you pay rent/cell phone/car payment/insurance/food? any or all of the above?

You can file taxes as a dependent. It doesn't fuck you to do so.
>>
>>17992511
Financial status and age.

>>17992512
I pay for everything. If anything, I support him on certain bills since he likes to take stuff of mine without me knowing until later "because that's what you did when you were a kid eating all my food."
>>
>>17992537
Then file yourself. If your dad doesnt like it, stop giving him money
>>
>>17992550
I'm not asking whether or not I should file for myself, I'm asking if I should feel guilty for cutting my dad out of my life if he kicks me out for not doing so. I forgot to mention that while I'm not named on the title, a large chunk of what bought the house was intended to be mine from another family member. As in, my name should be on the title, however, my dad lied to that family member and used the fact that there was no written contract to keep the money for himself.
>>
>>17992537

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind claiming rent as more than half of their support(assuming you pay for everything except rent).

Age doesn't disqualify someone from being a dependent.
>>
>>17992568
age alone*
>>
>>17992561
No, theres no reason to feel guilty.
>>
>>17992489
Move out or listen to your parenrs
>>
>>17992606
I'm going to do what I'm going to do, however, I'm asking if it would be ridiculous of me to feel guilty cutting someone that doesn't respect my autonomy out of my life.
>>
>>17992629
So you're cutting your dad, who houses you even though you apparently are fine financially, out of your life because you think that not going through with it will make him kick you out?

You sound crazy dude. Your parents obviously care about you.
>>
>>17992644
There is a part where I said I forgot to mention the whole housing thing in this post: >>17992561
>>
Just tell him you'll be filing you taxes the way you want and that he should do the same. But that if the IRS come back and ask you about it calling fraud you're gonna claim you know nothing so its his risk.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.