[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out of work and my father is too

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1484956151730.jpg (32KB, 337x320px) Image search: [Google]
1484956151730.jpg
32KB, 337x320px
Hi /adv. So I got laid off recently. I worked at a nice ad agency and it was the most money I've made in a while. I was living in a ratty apartment and was about to move out and rent a house with a friend. It lasted eight months and then there were mass layoffs. I had to turn down the house idea (we had got approved to rent a home right when I got laid off).

In the interim, my father, who works in the medical field, has been out of work. He was previously working at the small-town hospital which we moved across the country to be near, and eventually inside politics and shady management had him look for work at a different hospital not too far away, which lasted a while until the same type of shit led to him being let go. Since then he started doing some contract jobs that would last a few months, but they have run out and he is left searching, searching. He is 70 years old and is very bad with computers, so going through the modern job application process is extremely difficult for him. It's doubly difficult for me to even try to help him, as he is that impossible to guide along, and his job applications are way more complicated than my line of work is. Couple that with the fact that he is a very stubborn and frustrating person, it makes things seem hopeless.

I've moved back home while I search for jobs, which is a very stressful and distracting environment to be in. My mom works a shitty retail job just to get by (she used to be a switchboard operator; not much use for that anymore). They have a mortgage, medical bills, and a dog. They won't last long without my dad getting work.

(con'd)
>>
>>17992077
(2/2)
My friend recently let me know he might have to hold off on getting a house now if I get a job, because of a bunch of different reasons. Now I'm left with considering living alone again, but just had the thought: maybe I should be looking for work close to my parents home, and trying to help them out. Or at the very least get my own place when I get a job and send them money (for my sanity).

So what the fuck should I do? I think I would go crazy here. I probably should live on my own. But I would save a lot of money, and have more money to give, if I were living with my parents. I would, of course, be farther away from my friends, from the city; everything that I want to be around. I have creative side pursuits that are harder to concentrate on at my parents'. And I love and miss living alone.

Between being knocked out of my high living, getting a weird, subtle feeling that my friend is becoming distant, and the depressing reality of my senior parents with money troubles, I have the unnerving feeling that life is about to get real, real shitty for a long while.
>>
If your dad is 70, the chances of him finding a new job are close to nil. Employers aren't going to hire someone who's going to retire in a few years over someone who will be with them for much longer
>>
>>17992082
I know, and this is the horrible reality that I think is depressing him. And if I pitch in, I have a feeling it is going to be for the long haul. Even after they pass away.
>>
>>17992084
Why doesn't he just retire gracefully?
>>
>>17992088
I was too young to know the exact details of what led us to where we are now, but I know my father probably isn't the best with managing money long-term. He has type II and takes a cocktail of pills. My mother had a small stroke two years ago and they are still paying the expenses related to that. Mortgage. I don't think he has enough money to retire and still pay all these expenses.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.